PlasmaHam

Star Trek vs Star Wars

14 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek vs Star Wars

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
    • I don't care! Sci-fi is below me!
    • I love them equally

Seeing that today is Star Wars Day, and that this year marks the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, I have decided to ask the burning question. Which is better (or your favorite), Star Trek or Star Wars?

We are having so many superhero versus discussions, so this seems fair game. Vote on the poll, but I would encourage you to post. Please tell why you like one over the other and what you don’t like about the other.

Live Long and Prosper and May the Force be with You

Edited by PlasmaHam

I don't care, but I like some sci-fi. Firefly/Serenity is a favorite of mine. The Force Awakens was pretty incredible and had strong characters, but I always felt as if the original and prequel Star Wars trilogies had weak characters. Star Trek suffers from the same problem in that it is mostly about pseudo-scientific events rather than the developing engaging characters. Nemesis was my favorite film, because it focuses on Jean-Luc Picard and Mr. Data's character development, and refuses to waste time on pseudo-science or pointless back and forth with the secondary characters.

the orignal trilogy had better characters then the Force Awakens just saying but i agree the prequel was bad but  the clone wars were awesome which developed the characters futher

My favorite has to be Star Trek. Sure, most of the movies aren't any good as most have pointed out. But most of the TV series are really good. Take TOS, ignore the camp and its a fun show that has moral and societal questions depicted in a cool futuristic setting. TNG is similar, just with a more 80s vibe, and one of the greater cliffhangers in TV history. DS9 is the darker of the bunch, showing the horrors of war and is one of the first dramatic serial shows on TV. VOY is admittedly not great but it has some good character development and villains. ENT revisits the thrill of discovery and exploration from TOS and one of the first shows with season long arcs.

Star Wars in my opinion is fun, but not very relatable, or original. Its basically just a rehashing of Greek myths. You have your demigod hero, his mortal companion,his wise teacher, family issues, it even has hints of "Family love." And its hard to relate to a magic family with magic issues in a fantastical world that makes no sense regardless of George Lucas' new editions.

You have your demigod hero, his mortal companion,his wise teacher, family issues, it even has hints of "Family love." 

monomyth.jpg

I prefer Star Wars because technological utopianism disagrees with my digestion.

Star Wars. Because of the video games and Fanfiction/books. Tried star trek books. I must have picked some of the most pretentious authors out of the plethora of fanfiction published for that verse because woah. Turned me right off. 

Star Trek.

Still on First Gen, hoping to get onto second soon.

My reasons:
For Trek:
The dynamics between various personalities (such as McCoy and Kirk) and cultures (Spock) are well done.
The technology amuses me. The communicator looks like a flip phone X3
It's on every Saturday and it's an hour. I can sit still that long.
It didn't get bought out by Disney.
It lacks Queen Amadala. (she's creepy looking.)
Captain Kirk is cute.

Against Star Wars:
Jabba the Hut gave me nightmares as a child.
Jar-Jar Binks.
Jabba almost licked that girl. Ew.
Everything in Star Wars is done out of order and it's annoying.WHY were the last three made and then the first three and then somehow three more squished in the middle?  WHY DIS YOU DO THIS?! -fist shake-
Jar-Jar Binks.
Luke, no copulating with your sister! Ew!
I feel like they just randomly made Kylo Ren a thing because "It's 2016 and we'd be sexist not to!" I could be wrong, but...
Jar-Jar Binks

Yes, I listed Jar-Jar as three reasons. I felt him worthy enough.

I haven't seen the new Star Trek movies yet, I want to. And if I watch Star Wars, it came out before 1990.  I watched Episodes 1-3, I regret that decision.

I will say I prefer Ewoks to tribbles.

Hey there.

Just so you know, Star Wars Episode 1 and 2, including Jar Jar Binks, are not real Star Wars.

What's real Star Wars is the original original trilogy (i.e. the theatrical releases).

I love star wars myself. me and my brother both love star wars and thats all we talk about sometimes.