pbros_theredletter.org

Church Needs To Be More Active On Social Media

I feel this in the pit of my soul really haha!

This is the whole reason I launched my YouTube channel and some other platforms, I began to feel like there needed to be more of a presence online to reach people through these platforms!

I read an interesting statistic taken from a man named Jason Dorsey, he is a marketing research expert who has been featured on CNN, Fox news, Forbes, etc. He has said recently that his research firm did a study on millennials and the next generation, they found that a little over 40% base their entire outlook on what the read and watch online! Im sure this comes as no surprise to a lot of people.

I have had a lot of people take a more "oh thats cute" attitude when it comes to my Youtube channel and other platforms I am beginning to explore, but I feel since so many people are taking what they read and watch on these platforms so seriously, then we as the body of Christ need to see these platforms as the "new mission field"

I try mix humor and the bible to create entertaining videos that will encourage and lift people up, after every video I also invite the person to re commit their life to Jesus and post a prayer for them to say in the description below the video

Do you guys think that the church needs to step up their game in this area? Or maybe their is an organization that you know of that has done this?

I also just got tired of seeing so many negative things online about christians and the bible (especially youtube!) and felt we needed to be more active on their to show people the truth!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1A7p_eqOdIR-5aOUFjn9eQ?view_as=public

Anyways just wanted to share my heart on this! What do you guys think?

Edited by pbros_theredletter.org

I like how passionate you are in sharing the word. I've seen people on Youtube doing bible studies before and it's one way for me to view other people's insights regarding specific bible topics aside CTF. If you have any questions or any bible topics you want to discuss feel free to share, we could give our insights which may help in your upcoming videos. 

I like how passionate you are in sharing the word. I've seen people on Youtube doing bible studies before and it's one way for me to view other people's insights regarding specific bible topics aside CTF. If you have any questions or any bible topics you want to discuss feel free to share, we could give our insights which may help in your upcoming videos. 

Thanks Brioreos! 

I will definitely be posting for ideas and discussions as they come! Thanks!

I wonder if the medium of social media tends to devalue the Gospel, though. Is this not the problem with some youth ministers who try to "convert" the Gospel into "teenspeak" and end up distorting the glory of the Message? Reverend Tim Tom on the Middle is a humorous example. 

I wonder if the medium of social media tends to devalue the Gospel, though. Is this not the problem with some youth ministers who try to "convert" the Gospel into "teenspeak" and end up distorting the glory of the Message? Reverend Tim Tom on the Middle is a humorous example. 

devalue and distortion happen everywhere, its a reflection of the heart not the platform.

Edited by pbros_theredletter.org

Simply ask yourself how you would feel if people of Islam, Scientology, Atheism, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, or whichever religion you can conceive were to also use social media to directly proselytize to you. 

If you think you'd be okay with that, I would then suggest you're probably okay. But, if you think you'd get annoyed with people constantly, daily posting videos, links, memes, or anything that were to constantly reinforce this idea that your God is a lie and you're wasting your life with what you believe, I would encourage you to really be thoughtful about it.

Of course, to the extent you do it is up to you. One might think every day is too often while once a month is too sparse.

Lastly, a changing of religion or a conversion to is not a very easy thing to do solely over social media. In one sense, postings being put "out there" to lure them in has a sense of propaganda associated with it. In reality, what people believe about God, life, death, etc are often very personal things that require years of development and to simply "undo" those years of development is a difficult task, if it is done at all.

I feel bad that I've now made two posts in a sense "naysaying" what you're trying to do, but I would rather be honest with you as someone who isn't a Christian (but I used to be) than provide you wish a false sense of comfort and approval. However, I am only one man and I cannot speak for all people. Simply said, online evangelism is an easy way for some one to be removed from my social media web of connectivity. 

buddy_christ.jpg

devalue and distortion happen everywhere, its a reflection of the heart not the platform.

Is it not a dialectic between content and form, though? So, for example, the platform of Twitter (the form) leads to a message (the content) that is short and superficial.

Is it not a dialectic between content and form, though? So, for example, the platform of Twitter (the form) leads to a message (the content) that is short and superficial.

I understand what your trying to say, I feel though that no matter "the form" or platform someone chooses to preach from even Twitter, as long as their relationship with God is where it should be, then no.

When its Gods word no matter what venue is used to present it, it is never short and superficial in my book.

It wouldn't be any different than any other video blogger and you have the right to attempt whatever you want. Go nuts.

buddy_christ.jpg

My fingers would have achieved sentience and broken themselves rather than 'type' such a puerile response to such a thoughtful and intelligent post.

"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction." 2 Timothy 4:2 (NIV)

I've been in the faith for over 15 years now and was an atheist prior to that. Though I wore a hard shell on the outside while giving professing Christians a hard time, inwardly I was hungry for real truth. It is the Father who calls and draws men to Christ (John 6:44). You never know where someone's at and what medium or message might be the final witness which confirms in someone's heart what God has been trying to bud and bring to life all along. God makes masterpieces out of messes. This includes both us as vessels as well as our presentations of His Gospel message. The power is in the Seed planted.

Keep preaching it and keep growing [yourself] simultaneously!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aJp3vXRDE0

- Be Blessed!

Edited by D. L. Dunnaville

"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction." 2 Timothy 4:2 (NIV)

I've been in the faith for over 15 years now and was an atheist prior to that. Though I wore a hard shell on the outside while giving professing Christians a hard time, inwardly I was hungry for real truth. It is the Father who calls and draws men to Christ (John 6:44). You never know where someone's at and what medium or message might be the final witness which confirms in someone's heart what God has been trying to bud and bring to life all along. God makes masterpieces out of messes. This includes both us as vessels as well as our presentations of His Gospel message. The power is in the Seed planted.

Keep preaching it and keep growing [yourself] simultaneously!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aJp3vXRDE0

- Be Blessed!

Thanks D.L.!!