which denomination should i choose?

moonraver

hey, i'm looking for advice on which denomination i should choose, because i'm not very familiar with all the different ones. basically i want a more liberal and laid back church, so not like... baptist or anything. i don't want to feel like i'll go to hell for every little thing.

hey, i'm looking for advice on which denomination i should choose, because i'm not very familiar with all the different ones. basically i want a more liberal and laid back church, so not like... baptist or anything. i don't want to feel like i'll go to hell for every little thing.

Shout-out to my Episcopal brethren* here.

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/

*prior to my Judaizing apostasy

I wouldn't necessarily call Baptists very strict, but they are generally conservative sola scriptura churches. Episcopal churches are probably the most liberal churches in America. Also, many Catholic Churches are surprisingly laidback. Non-denominational and most independent churches are more on the conservative side of the scale.

But there is also a lot of differences within denominations. Certain Baptist churches teach a more prosperity and relaxed message while some are pulpit yelling and Hellfire teaching. I suggest you don't base your church decisions on denomination but rather what suits you better. Shop around, visit various local churches and see what fits better with your beliefs and then stay there. 

Then why do you want church, period?

Westboro Baptist.

:P

I hear Unitarians are pretty "do what you feel... God is love and no hate. We're all hippies here."

Nothing wrong with being challenged to grow in your faith, it's good. Just avoid those uber legalistic types, like Apostolics and certain groups of Lutherans and Baptists.

I know of a few Baptist people and Baptist churches that are super liberal (at least politically and/or socially). I can understand why you might see there some/a few issues in some/many conservative Protestant churches and denominations, but don't you want a church that challenges you to grow as a Christian and be better a Christian?

I hear Unitarians are pretty "do what you feel... God is love and no hate. We're all hippies here."\

Unitarians reject Apostles and Nicene Creeds.

Just avoid those uber legalistic types, like Apostolics and certain groups of Lutherans and Baptists.

I won't really call most Lutherans legalistic. At least LCMS. They're very doctrinally conservative and take the "right" position on "important" issues. They have taken moves in the last four years or so that I have taken big issues with. One was excommunicating a pastor for taking a critical view of Young Earth Creationism. But at my, very conservative, LCMS church during VBC and summer youth group activities most of the teenage girls would have minishorts on. So I wouldn't really call them "legalistic".

I don't know what WELS Lutherans are like.

You don't really "choose" your denomination.

I know there's a rather extensive "What denomination should you be" quiz that's been posted on here a few times. Try taking that and see what you get. That should point you in the general direction of what churches align with your beliefs the most. Or look at churches in your area and see if they have a website. Most of them that do will probably have a "Statement of Faith" or "Our Beliefs" link.

Unitarians reject Apostles and Nicene Creeds.

I won't really call most Lutherans legalistic. At least LCMS. They're very doctrinally conservative and take the "right" position on "important" issues. They have taken moves in the last four years or so that I have taken big issues with. One was excommunicating a pastor for taking a critical view of Young Earth Creationism. But at my, very conservative, LCMS church during VBC and summer youth group activities most of the teenage girls would have minishorts on. So I wouldn't really call them "legalistic".

I don't know what WELS Lutherans are like.

I feel like they are more accepting of New Agey stuff as well.

Certain groups. Not all, of course.  I know some churches/people who are very "You must do this this this and this and this in this order on this day in order to be saved/righteous/good/with it."  while there is little to no talk of Jesus being your savior. and encouraging you too grow. Just a laundry list of spiritual things to do each week to keep you on God's good side.

However, I'd like to point out that I know many who are NOT that way. Just certain ones.

"Liberal or laid back"?  Hmm. Interesting. 

For the "Liberal" type, maybe Methodist?

For "Laid back", go Evangelical Free Church.

Certain groups. Not all, of course.  I know some churches/people who are very "You must do this this this and this and this in this order on this day in order to be saved/righteous/good/with it."  while there is little to no talk of Jesus being your savior. and encouraging you too grow. Just a laundry list of spiritual things to do each week to keep you on God's good side.

However, I'd like to point out that I know many who are NOT that way. Just certain ones.

That's interesting! I didn't know there were many like that. But I guess there are a few of those in almost every denomination.

Investigate the Episcopal Church! Freethinkers welcome, questions welcome, disagreements welcome.

As someone who low-key wishes they were Episcopalian, I also support this.

But still, maybe look up what your core beliefs are before you just go to a church. If you're new to Christianity then I guess you could read up on the Bible then make your decision from there.

Yeah.

But you should also get a lot more uptight and guilty and become Catholic. Along with all the other Epicopalians.

Gotta love that Catholic guilt. I actually had a doctor joke towards me recently "It seems like you carry a lot of guilt, are you a Catholic?" 

I think I brushed it off and was like "Well I'm a graduate student and work in Special Education and yadda yadda" 

But seriously. 

yES this is what i was trying to describe, i don't want a church that just gives a list of things not to do. i want a church that invites everyone, regardless of background, or previous religious preferences. 

I know of a few Baptist people and Baptist churches that are super liberal (at least politically and/or socially). I can understand why you might see there some/a few issues in some/many conservative Protestant churches and denominations, but don't you want a church that challenges you to grow as a Christian and be better a Christian?

yes, but i want one that fits my beliefs and views of the bible, rather than trying to say that how i see the bible is wrong and that i'm automatically going to hell for it. i mean, i'm gay, and i don't think it's a sin (because i'm in a loving, long term relationship, i'm not a person who sleeps around) and i want a church that won't try and make me feel guilty for the way God made me (my mom says God made me gay, and He doesn't make mistakes and that's why she accepts it)

yes, but i want one that fits my beliefs and views of the bible, rather than trying to say that how i see the bible is wrong and that i'm automatically going to hell for it.

I agree, but that doesn't make such a church laid back. 

i mean, i'm gay, and i don't think it's a sin (because i'm in a loving, long term relationship, i'm not a person who sleeps around) and i want a church that won't try and make me feel guilty for the way God made me (my mom says God made me gay, and He doesn't make mistakes and that's why she accepts it)

I've come to an affirming view of same-sex marriage, but if you are having sex in your relationship you shouldn't be. 

I guess I would suggest you to try to find a third way, allows disagreement on same-sex marriage, or a LGBT affirming Evangelical/Nondenominational church (especially since you're already nondenominational). I wouldn't suggest Mainline denominations as a whole. There are just too many questionable things I've heard about from the five big Mainline denominations in the US. 

I more than 100% agree with you that a church you choose shouldn't try to make you feel guilty about being gay. I would hope all Christians would accept that people can't help or change their sexual orientation, though I know that isn't the case. And I also agree that you don't want a church that has doctrine that believes your pursuing a (chaste) relationship, falling in love, and/or getting married and making that lifelong commit with someone of the same sex is inherently sinful. But I would discourage a church that approaches it like "you do you" or even simply "being yourself". The language of secular LGBT acceptance only partially works within a Christian setting. I have come to believe the non-affirming view, especially when it has little or nothing to do with procreation, is wrong and detrimental to human flourishing, and there's nothing inherently broken or less than ideal about being gay or anything sinful about same-sex marriage. And I also believe we're all born sinners, and we all want things that aren't right, healthy, or in God's will. And we're all broken, including in our sexuality. 

I guess I'm trying to say don't choose a church that doesn't talk about sin. The Christian life is about sanctification, and God empowering you to do His will. I would encourage you to pray about where God wants you to go church right now in the short term, and ask Him to show you the long term church He wants you to be apart of. 

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

yes, but i want one that fits my beliefs and views of the bible, rather than trying to say that how i see the bible is wrong and that i'm automatically going to hell for it. i mean, i'm gay, and i don't think it's a sin (because i'm in a loving, long term relationship, i'm not a person who sleeps around) and i want a church that won't try and make me feel guilty for the way God made me (my mom says God made me gay, and He doesn't make mistakes and that's why she accepts it)

I'm a Baptist and I completely support LGTB+ marriages so I don't agree with your earlier statement that all Baptists are super strict and conservative.

Whilst I take my relationship with God very seriously, I am very open and I wouldn't say I'm strict on the way I dress, or dating or anything like that. I would say I'm quite liberal actually.

Please don't generalise whole denominations as in reality, it varies from church to church and minister to minister!! 

I'm a Baptist and I completely support LGTB+ marriages...I would say I'm quite liberal actually...Please don't generalise whole denominations as in reality

I don't see these things as something to be proud of. "Hey, look at me, I'm opposed to the teachings of 99% of Christians throughout 2000 years of church history!" doesn't seem worth defending.

I don't see these things as something to be proud of. "Hey, look at me, I'm opposed to the teachings of 99% of Christians throughout 2000 years of church history!" doesn't seem worth defending.

Same could be said about moral acceptance of contraception under any circumstances. Only instead for the first 1930 years of church history. Even notable Christians as recently as C.S. Lewis viewed contraception as wrong under any circumstances.

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

Same could be said about moral acceptance of contraception under any circumstances. Only instead for the first 1930 years of church history. Even notable Christians as recently as C.S. Lewis viewed contraception as wrong under any circumstances.

Well, there is a reason that I can't help but lean further and further towards that view over time.