What's your ancestry?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What major ethnic group(s) are you mostly from?

• Sub-Saharan African
    • Amerindian (Native American)
    • Inuit
    • Aboriginal Australian
    • Melanesian
    • Micronesian
    • Polynesian
    • East Asian
    • South Asian
    • Central Asian
    • West Asian (Middle Eastern)
    • North African
    • European Jewish
    • European
  2. 2. What major ethnic groups do you know/think you have any level of ancestry from?

• Sub-Saharan African
    • Amerindian (Native American)
    • Inuit
    • Aboriginal Australian
    • Melanesian
    • Micronesian
    • Polynesian
    • East Asian
    • South Asian
    • Central Asian
    • West Asian (Middle Eastern)
    • North African
    • European Jewish
    • European
  3. 3. What more specific ethnic groups do you know/think you have any level of ancestry from?

• British Isles
    • Iberian Peninsulan
    • Italian-Maltese
    • Western European
    • Scandinavian
    • Finnish-Saami-Karelian(Northwest Russian)
    • Northeastern European
    • Southeastern European
    • Northwest Asian (Northern Middle Eastern Proper-Greater Middle Eastern)
    • Southwest Asian (Southern Middle Eastern)
    • Siberian/Northeast Asian
    • Southeast Asian
    • Saharan African
    • West African
    • Central African
    • Southern African
    • East African
    • Native North American
    • Native Middle American
    • Native South American

What's your ancestry as far as you know? I'm too tired tonight to go into detail, but don't worry I will. But to make it simple in about the last 500 years I'm from every major ethnic and every more specific ethnic group, except for Saharan African and West African.

Let me just say Jaleb is so Semitic.John (Wesker) definitely is little European Jewish, in particular Ashkenazi Jewish, and Caleb (Nicene Nerd) is definitely a little West Asian (Middle Eastern), in particular I'd say from the Iraq-Syria-Lebanon-Palestine-Jordan region. 

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

The simple answer I tell people is I'm of Polish, Finnish, and Saami ancestry. 

Though oddly some people have been surprised. People usually guess I'm French or Spanish/Spanish Latin American. I've had people think I'm Mexican or part Mexican because I was said I ate a lot of Mexican food growing up. Or that I'm part Native American. I've been told I look "foreign". People can never place where I'm from. I guess I look pretty ethnically ambiguous. My mom's had people tell her she looks Russian. And she's had people tell her she looks East Indian. My dad has had people think he's English/British. And he's had people think he's Middle Eastern.

The culture I'm significantly from that I have the most family knowledge about is Finnish, or at least Finnish-American. My maternal grandma, who I spent a lot time with, was very culturally Finnish-American. Where she group has the highest percentage of Finnish people in the US, and I believe the highest percentage of Finnish people anywhere outside of Finland. A lady from Finland my parents know said that, "(Where my grandma grew up) looks more like Finland than Finland". But my grandma had dark hair and olive skin, and the only brunette in elementary school.

I have some other interesting family history things I'll tell about later.

With GEDMatch the estimates for different regions all vary a bit between algorithms, but with most regions of ancestry show up in all or most algorithms. But the percentages vary a bit. There was strong consistency with both my parents for what regions showed up.

Ancestry DNA tests go back about 400 years, but GEDMatch goes back about 500 years. Both of those have percents that correlate with a certain number of generations. And based on what I know about my family I was able to calculate. Though it might be more recent because I figured more along the lines of the older ages. You have to buy a DNA test from a company, but GEDMatch is free.

In the last 500 years out of major ethnic groups, from greatest to least, my dad is of European, West Asian (Middle Eastern), Native American, Central Asian, South Asian, East Asian, European Jewish, Inuit, North African, and Sub-Saharan African ancestry.

In the last 500 years my dad is not of Pacific Islanders (Polynesian, Melanesian, Micronesian, or Aboriginal Australian) ancestry.

In the last 500 years out of major ethnic groups, from greatest to least, my mom is of European, European Jewish, South Asian, Central Asian, West Asian (Middle Eastern), East Asian, Polynesian, Micronesian, Inuit, Native American, Sub-Saharan African, Melanesian, and Aboriginal Australian ancestry.

In the last 500 years my mom is not of North African ancestry.

So out of major ethnic in about the last 500 years, from greatest to least, I'm of European, European Jewish, South Asian, West Asian (Middle Eastern), Central Asian, Native American, East Asian, Inuit, Polynesian, Micronesian, Sub-Saharan African, North African, Melanesian, and Aboriginal Australian ancestry.

In the last 500 years out of more specific ethnic groups, from greatest to least as far as I can tell, my dad is of Northeastern European, Southeastern European, Scandinavian, Western European, Great Britain, Celtic British Isles, Italian-Maltese, Iberian Peninsulan, Northwest Asian (Northern Middle Eastern), Finnish-Saami-Karelian(Northwest Russian), Central Asian, South Asian, Native North American, European Jewish, Siberian, Native South American, Native Middle American, Northeast Asian, Inuit, Southeast Asian, Southwest Asian (Southern Middle Eastern), North African, and Southern African ancestry.

In the last 500 years my dad is not of Saharan African, West African, Central African, East African, Polynesian-Micronesian, or Melanesian-Aboriginal Australian ancestry.

In the last 500 years out of more specific ethnic groups, from the greatest to the least as far as I can tell, my mom is of Finnish-Saami-Karelian(Northwest Russian), Northeastern European, Southeastern European, Scandinavian, Western European, Great Britain, European Jewish, Celtic British Isles, South Asian, Central Asian, Northwest Asian (Northern Middle Eastern), Iberian Peninsulan, Italian-Maltese, Polynesian-Micronesian, Siberian, Inuit, Native North American, Northeast Asian, East African, Southern African, Southeast Asian, Melanesian-Aboriginal Australian, and Central African ancestry

In the last 500 years my mom is not of Southwest Asian (Southern Middle Eastern), North African, Saharan African, West African, Native Middle American, or Native South American ancestry.

So for me in the last 500 years that would mean, from the greatest to the least as far as I can tell, I'm of Northeastern European, Finnish-Saami-Karelian(Northwest Russian), Southeastern European, Scandinavian, Western European, Great Britain, European Jewish, Celtic British Isles, South Asian, Northwest Asian (Northern Middle Eastern), Central Asian, Iberian Peninsulan, Italian-Maltese, Siberian, Native North American, Polynesian-Micronesian, Inuit, Northeast Asian, Native South American, Native Middle American, Southeast Asian, East African, Southern African, Southwest Asian (Southern Middle Eastern), North African, Melanesian-Aboriginal Australian, and Central African ancestry.

So that means in the last 500 years I'm not Saharan African or West African. 

And I'm not near as mixed as a lot people I've watched YouTube videos of looking at their ancestry DNA results. I'm all that, but I'm still probably about 98% European. I am quarter Finnish, Saami, and Karelian, and they're Asiatic (non-Caucasian). I definitely look the most Saami-Finnish out of any of my cousins. So that's probably most of where I get my ethnic ambiguous facial features from. 

I used to think I was half German, a quarter Polish, and a quarter Finnish (and Saami). Yet my supposedly 100% German great-aunt's, my maternal grandpa's sister, Ancestry DNA test came back 1% Western European! Now my mom and her sister came back a bit more Western European. People in the same family, including siblings, can inherit very different amounts of DNA from a certain region. 

Here's "Vuelie", the opening song of Frozen, that is Saami yoiking and a Scandinavian hymn. 

Well, I haven't actually done any DNA tests, and I don't currently plan to, but I have been studying up my family history for awhile now, so I have some ideas on my ancestry.

On my mothers side I have managed to get back around 200 years. And of course, my luck is that all my known ancestors have lived within 100 miles of where I live. Through some books, surname origins, and family tales, I have managed to figure out that I likely have some American Indian and Western European blood.

My father's side is a bit simpler. My surname is clearly German. And from what I heard, some of those Germans were Jews who came to America in the early 1900s (maybe Holocaust escapers? IDK), so I guess that means I have some European Jewish in me as well. I also have some British and Irish heritage.

So, from what I know I have some North American Indian, Western European, British Isle, North Western European, and European Jewish. Maybe I'll do a DNA test sometime in the future and give you a more accurate reading, but this is all you're getting for now.

I could go over a lot of other facts about my ancestors, but this isn't really the place. I was actually just thinking about starting a discussion about your ancestry and genealogy. You can find a lot of stuff online for free if you look hard enough.

I was born in the US... I don't know why it matters. my family is predominantly Norwegian. Again don't care if we're from a saami tribe or not. On my mom's side it's a mess of things. I asked her once and listened to her list off a bunch of junk.

*sighs*