meercat

how do you talk to atheist friends about christ???

11 members have voted

1. 1. what's your fallback approach if you are confronted about ur faith at school?

• debate!!!
    • tell them what i really believe in a civilised mannor
    • varies day to day
    • shrug and walk off
    • ask if they want to come to church with me
    • other
  2. 2. do you find it easy to talk about God?

• really easy!!!
    • sort of easy...
    • depends who and when
    • quite hard
    • very hard
  3. 3. what denomination r u?

• evangelist
    • methodist
    • jehovah's witness
    • catholic
    • other

1. "Other," because my school is the Baptist College of Florida. There are, to my knowledge, no atheists or for that matter members of any non-Christian belief system here.

2. "Quite hard," because talking to people in general is quite hard.

3. "Other," because I'm theologically a homeless, eclectic Protestant who goes to a Baptist school.

I'm a bit wishy-washy and bitter in regards to my faith at the moment but I'm not shy about talking about my faith journey.... Its not really evangelism per-say just sharing my experience with someone who asks. I'm not sure if I should really call myself a believer most of the time but I'm not gonna deny that my faith practice has been instrumental in forming me as a person so, if I'm close to someone, eventually they'll see that part of me. 

I don't try to convert people though. I just try to be Christ's hands and feet how I'm able. Mine is a very service oriented faith mostly devoid of having the answers and being right. 

Your athiest friends have heard enough about Christ, believe me. They wouldnt classify as atheist unless they had knowledge of a God to reject. Stop talking to your atheist "friends" about Christ unless you want to be the annoying Christian who won't shut up about Christ.

I think the question should be more along the lines of.....should you have atheist friends?

“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.”- Psalm 1:1 (KJV)  

*sighs*

Stop being intentionally gross.

People's value is not determined less even if their beliefs differ from yours. You understand bigotry is a bad thing?

Personally, I just won't be friends with someone who scoffs at my beliefs.

And if you think Bible verses are so gross (considering that is the second time you've said that when I've posted them), then why are you here? And why are you arguing with me on everything I say? How does what I say have anything to do with you?

Do you even realize that you are lumping a bunch of people into your skewed perception?

You say a lot of gross things then pretend your bible verses back them up, that's what's gross.

You jump to conclusions, you display zero respect. Then you presume your bigotry "I don't care what you think because you're not a Christian and only Christians deserve things like opinions" will cover the fact that you don't have anything logical or moral backing up your fanatical disregard.

atheists main function is not tearing down religion, why do you think that?

You don't want to be friends with athiests? Ok. But you don't have the right to classify atheists the way you do.

They're worth just as much as you, faithless or not.

"Why are you arguing with me on everything I say? How does what I say have anything to do with you?"

... are you... you're serious? Weak kid.

When someone's as wrong as you, as often as you, as rude as you, what the heck are you expecting?

You irritate me. Ctf hasn't had many toxic Christians but you've made my list, so when you say something gross, like "don't be friends with atheists" I think it'd be sad to just roll my eyes and continue on.

Edited by JKAY

dude she may be somewhat wrong as Christians are called to love but how was she using the bible to her benefit she was just stating her opinion and so what if she's weak alot of people are and personally i do know some atheist that are cool but they are respectful so would you stop dissing others especially on this forum I mean come on

dude she may be somewhat wrong as Christians are called to love but how was she using the bible to her benefit she was just stating her opinion and so what if she's weak alot of people are and personally i do know some atheist that are cool but they are respectful so would you stop dissing others especially on this forum I mean come on

This girl and I have had a similar conversation. Except that conversation had a ton of me being reasonable and expecting some form of the same treatment, and her being silly and childishly denying everything I was saying purely because she thinks I'm an atheist. I am tired of that. The above attempt at shutting her weird self righteousness down before it starts is hardly unwarranted.

She hasn't been dissed personally. She said something wretched and I called her on it. She displayed utter ignorance on why what she said is a problem and confronted me. I told her what my problem was because she asked.

Edit- I wasn't calling her weak, the response was weak.

Edited by JKAY

This girl and I have had a similar conversation. Except that conversation had a ton of me being reasonable and expecting some form of the same treatment, and her being silly and childishly denying everything I was saying purely because she thinks I'm an atheist. I am tired of that. The above attempt at shutting her weird self righteousness down before it starts is hardly unwarranted.

She hasn't been dissed personally. She said something wretched and I called her on it. She displayed utter ignorance on why what she said is a problem and confronted me. I told her what my problem was because she asked.

Edit- I wasn't calling her weak, the response was weak.

alright that maybe true or  it may not (ain't gonna judge cause it'd bite my butt lol)  but I will say that  we should all start over ya know be chill and level headed before we start this again lol for past experience that seems to work well  is that cool ?

@JKay-

You constantly spew hatred and bitterness all over this forum. Your hatred for mankind in general has become quite obvious. Your post is a bad reflection on you, not me. Your lack of friends, and faith, must be incredibly overwhelming.

Whoops, there I go again, posting Bible verses on a Christian forum. Let the wrath of JKay begin.  

Meerkat, you're describing an agnostic.

Ggirl Ah, no. That's you attacking because you didn't bother thinking. The original problem was your response.

Atheists don't believe in Gods, that's not integral to their being. That's integral to their views on Faith not on their very existence.

You can easily be sincere friends with atheists because atheists have as much capacity to be sincerely good people as anyone else.

I already explained the bible verse thing, you're honestly just acting obtuse about this.

Virtually all of my irl friends are either atheists, agnostics, or lapsed Catholics. I would say that 9 out of 10 of our conversations about religion starts with one of them making a snarky remark about the stupidity of Catholicism. I usually respond in kind. This isn't especially spiritually edifying, but I do get to pontificate on the niceties of Catholic doctrine, which is fun.

Edited by Chris-M

Don't make me break out my mod-hammer. Enough bickering.

JKAY, calling people out for bad behavior is one thing, but it's unhelpful and antagonizing to do so by accusing them of grossness and bigotry.

Gearhead Girl, you are simply wrong. We are called to treat sinners of all kinds, whether Christians or atheists, as Christ did. What did He do while we were yet sinners? He came near to us, became one of us, and gave 33 years of life and a horrific death for us. He does not shun the sinner, as He did not shun the tax collector or prostitute. There's no way to comprehensively follow His example by refusing to be friends with unbelievers. To do so is wrong and demands repentance. If Jesus died for His enemies, you can talk to them and be a neighbor to them.

Marcotte, it's generally unfruitful to jump into a fight like this on either side.

Speaking as a non-religious person, I enjoy talking to people of various religions even if I don't personally agree with said religion(s), I enjoy learning new things.

@JKay-

I have proven my point, therefore, I will stop. But I have something to say to you, whether you like it or not, I don’t care. I’m praying for you. I pray that God leads your ways down the path of life. I pray that He guides your direction through the maze of trials that life has to bring. But, most of all, I pray that God blesses you with the life changing gift of faith.    

[/font][/size]

*winces* Ooo-kay. If that's what it takes to make you feel superior do that.

Don't make me break out my mod-hammer. Enough bickering.

JKAY, calling people out for bad behavior is one thing, but it's unhelpful and antagonizing to do so by accusing them of grossness and bigotry.

Message received.

I never said we should “shun” them.

It's hard to distinguish between shunning and making an absolute barrier for friendship.

In fact, I said “that does not mean that atheists and Christians cannot be friendly…”

People who are friendly to each other naturally become friends given the right opportunities to do so. The only way to avoid that is to intentionally be less friendly than you otherwise would be.

We’re just not supposed to yoke with them.

Define "yoke." It's a friendship here, not a marriage or blood-pact.

Friendship is a two-way street

Agreed. Why does that preclude friendship with unbelievers?

those who rejected Christ were not His friends, and they’re not mine either.

Define "friends." In my estimation, dying for someone and begging their forgiveness in your agony is a bigger deal than friendship. For that matter, so is coming into the world as a human being among people who hate you.

Again, that does not mean that we shouldn’t be friendly with them.

That really doesn't make much sense. Strong friendliness continued over time makes for friendship unless you specifically try to limit your friendliness.

Jesus lived, talked, and dined with non-believers. He was a teacher to them, and loved them all. However, he was firm with his message and would correct them in their wrong doings. That's the way we should be.

One thing that a lot of Christians do is refuse to even be in the presence of unbelievers. They believe that Christians are higher than they are. Well, we alone are not any higher than them, but through Jesus Christ we are. And Jesus didn't say "Go sit with only Christians", he said “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." ​We must follow Jesus' commandment and life, and witness to others.

The way I personally deal with atheists is, primarily, being nice to them. Many people are turned off as they are being bombarded with facts about Christianity. We should talk to them on a equal pedestal, but be firm and unashamed of Christ. Sometimes though, your godly actions often speak louder than words.  

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

​This verse isn't saying that salvation is through good works, but that the unsaved should be able to see Christ in all you do!

That really doesn't make much sense. Strong friendliness continued over time makes for friendship unless you specifically try to limit your friendliness.

There is a difference between being friendly, and being a friend. I could be friendly to a narrow-minded, liberal scumbag, yet he could never return that friendship, so we wouldn't be friends. But I was friendly. Jesus loves everyone, but not everyone loves him back, so Jesus is not a friend to unbelievers. Yet he loves them enough to die for them. However, when we do gain friendship with unbelievers, we must not let them influence us. Many Christians think that joining a gang will help reach unbelievers within, but it usually results in that Christian falling further and further from God. That problem likely resulted in most of the Catholic traditions, many of which mirror local pagan beliefs.

Edited by PlasmaHam

how bout we just say Christians don't  have atheist friends however we love them no matter what and we only talk about Christ if needed (desernment is needed for that )

how bout we just say Christians don't  have atheist friends

When I was in elementary school, I was a nerd and Mathew had mental and physical disabilities that made him unpopular. We were both bullied, so we found each other and formed a bond. We didn't think much about religion because we were, you know, 8. Several years later, however, I found out that my best friend was being raised by atheist parents, and he himself soon became open about his atheism.

Breaking off my friendship with Mathew would have only hurt his feelings and confirmed in his mind the idea that religion is a closed-minded system that perpetuates bullying and exclusion. It would have served no purpose but to make me feel self-righteous, and it would have left us both completely socially isolated. The claim that I was morally required to pull that trigger is ridiculous. And biblically unfounded. A proof-text about "uneven yokes" without contextual analysis does not stand up to the fact that Christ's entire mission was directed at sinners, with whom he broke bread, including those he knew would eventually betray him, such as Judas and Peter and nameless other faithless disciples.

Edited by Chris-M

There is a difference between being friendly, and being a friend. I could be friendly to a narrow-minded, liberal scumbag, yet he could never return that friendship, so we wouldn't be friends. But I was friendly. Jesus loves everyone, but not everyone loves him back, so Jesus is not a friend to unbelievers. Yet he loves them enough to die for them. However, when we do gain friendship with unbelievers, we must not let them influence us. Many Christians think that joining a gang will help reach unbelievers within, but it usually results in that Christian falling further and further from God. 

Maybe the reason the liberal was unable to return your "friendliness" is because you think of him as a scumbag.... because obviously different than me = scumbag. 

Idk man, just seems kinda cold to me. 

Maybe the reason the liberal was unable to return your "friendliness" is because you think of him as a scumbag.... because obviously different than me = scumbag. 

Idk man, just seems kinda cold to me. 

The scumbag thing was just a bit of an exaggeration, probably a bit unnecessary. That wasn't the point of the argument anyway. I can be friendly to a person all I want, but that doesn't mean they'll return it. Some people simply don't work together. 

The scumbag thing was just a bit of an exaggeration, probably a bit unnecessary. That wasn't the point of the argument anyway. I can be friendly to a person all I want, but that doesn't mean they'll return it. Some people simply don't work together. 

You said it, and I'd be willing to bet that on some level you think it. 

And I don't mean that as attacking you in particular, but it's a symptom of a larger "us vs them" culture that I see a lot among Christians. Even when I was in high school (a time that I was very sure and very outspoken in my faith) I've always had atheist friends and I was always shocked at how unwelcome my deeply Christian friends made them feel. And its like, I know it was mostly unintentional, but there was just this unwillingness to give anything. "She has piercings Ash, she calls herself a Wiccan. I bet her and her boyfriend have sex, and honestly? I don't really like them sitting by us." They're different, they're "other".  Nevermind that this atheist friend of mine was *not* actually Wiccan (actually, she was Russian Orthodox) and never once tried to get said friends to do anything counter to their faith. No, this was just them being bothered that the goth kids were sitting under the bible-thumper's tree at lunch. 

Unfortunately the only real solution is to stumble into the position where you find yourself caring deeply about someone whose views are different than your own. Or realize that they care deeply about you. 

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that someone who is an atheist won't be friendly or want to befriend you. 

Edited by Marley

I never said anything that contradicts what you say. (I do hope you were reading my posts, and not JKAY’s, as she often misquotes me.)  

Nope. Misquoting things is your shtick. He can read and understand subtext.

quit acting like Christianity should be a clique.