Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
God's Faithful Girl

helpful verses for SH recovery?

hello all, i'm trying to reduce my instances of self harm, and i would like some uplifting and reassuring bible verses, basically ones that say "God's got your back!" not ones that tell that self harm is wrong or a sin (because i already know that, so it won't really help)

basically i want some verses to lean on in times of distress, such as Philippians 4:13 (my favorite verse for everything i ever need)

hey there, I struggle too. If you need someone to talk to ever feel free to PM me. <3

I found the best comforts for me would be in John (because God is Love, yes?) and Psalms. Try Psalm 119 and 34. <3

I've always found this verse inspiring. :)

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?  O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and I am not silent. But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou dist deliver them. They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.”

-KJV – Psalms 22:1-5

My favorite verse in the Bible

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

-KJV- Joshua 1:9

​Helps if you remember the context of the verse. Joshua was about to lead the Israelites into battle to conquer Canaan. But Joshua and the people were afraid, they thought they were in for a death sentence. However, God reassured them that he watches all things, and that he will guide and protect them through the hard and tough times ahead. 

Funny you should ask; I still have a list of verses from when one of the ministries that I volunteer with covered the topic.

The ones that I have off hand are:

Proverb 13:12

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

Psalm 3:2-6

Many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.

But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.

I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill.

I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.

My personal favorite is all of Psalm 31. That psalm is the bomb.

Psalm 103:11-12
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Romans 8:23-26
And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

If you find these helpful, I can try to dig up some more.