Sign in to follow this  
PlasmaHam

The Role of Angels

In Christianity, you see varying views on the role of angels in our lives.

You hear of some who advocate the idea of the guardian angel, which everyone has a personal angel with them always.

Some say that angels come down to Earth and take human form to enact God’s will. The guy that stopped you from driving drunk could be an angel in their opinion.

Some say that angels just sit in Heaven playing their harps and not bothering with humans.

There are plenty more opinions on the subject. Most denominations don’t have a steadfast rule regarding the angels and their influence in life, so it is difficult to confirm anything. And the Bible doesn’t go very far into the angel’s roles outside of the end times, so it open to interpretation.

I am not asking you to debate Angel Hierarchy, types of angels, or the role of angels in Heaven. I am just curious about how you think that angels influence our lives(or not). This is something I have been thinking about and wanted some of your opinions on the subject. Please don’t devolve into insults and mockery like another recent thread did, I am not merciful...  :fishbeat:  

e9c501c18a84f9bda3fa183222acedae.jpg

Definitely not some pudgy smiling baby. If Angel's are out there I believe them to be more fierce warriors and protectors than "precious moments figurine". 

Scripture portrays angels as God's armies and servants. I believe their primary role is in spiritual warfare, though I also believe God can and does give certain angels special missions, tasks, or messages at times. I see no support in Scripture for personal guardian angels.

In Roman Catholicism, we pray to Archangels (Michael, Gabriel and Raphael) to intercede to God on our behalf and to assist us with the particular power that has been privileged to them. The most common angelic prayer is:

St. Michael the Archangel, 

defend us in the day of battle.

Be our safeguard against the wickedness,

and snares of the Devil. 

May God rebuke him we humbly pray.

And do you, O prince of the Heavenly Host,

cast into hell, Satan, and all the evil spirits,

who prowl through the world,

seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Edited by Wesker

“Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.”- Exodus 23:20-21 (KJV)

Beings that in Numbers-22 the ass saw the angel, but the man did not until God opened his eyes to it, I think they can be sent in whatever form God wants them sent. I do think that they have been sent in man-form before (see Genesis 19:15), but I also think God sends them in spiritual-form as well (see Zechariah 6:4-5). I think that they are the Lord’s messengers, diplomats, and ambassadors.

but I also think God sends them in spiritual-form as well (see Zechariah 6:4-5)

That is a contradiction akin to a square circle. Spiritual, by defintion, precludes any visible or tangible form.

That is a contradiction akin to a square circle. Spiritual, by defintion, precludes any visible or tangible form.

From whence comes this definition?

Yeah, Zechariah was a poor example. Thanks for pointing that out.

What I meant was that all angels are spiritual, but not all manifest themselves in the physical form. And when they are put in the physical form, you don’t always know it.

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”- Hebrews 13:2 (KJV)

Yeah, Zechariah was a poor example. Thanks for pointing that out.

What I meant was that all angels are spiritual, but not all manifest themselves in the physical form. And when they are put in the physical form, you don’t always know it.

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”- Hebrews 13:2 (KJV)

I had intended not to interfere much in this discussion, but Gearhead is the only one with Biblical verses backing her up. This is the view that I am currently going with, due to both the argument and other influences.

Can anyone else counter this with a Biblical argument, I am curious to see how other views turn out.

I had intended not to interfere much in this discussion, but Gearhead is the only one with Biblical verses backing her up.

Almost every mention of angels in Scripture directly backs up what I said. For example:

Angels as God's armies: 2 Kings 6:8-23, 19:35, Psalm 84:7, 103:20-21, 148:2, Daniel 10:10-31, Jude 1:14-15, Revelation 12:7, and almost all mentions of God's "hosts" or "armies"

Angels as God's servants: Psalm 103:20-21, Matthew 13:41, 24:31, 2 Thessalonians 1:7, Hebrews 1:7, 14

Angels given special tasks and messages: Daniel 10:10-31, Matthew 1:20-24, 4:6, Luke 1:5-20, 26-38

Angels working to protect God's people: Psalm 34:7, 91:11-12, Daniel 6:22, Matthew 2:13, Acts 5:19, 12:7