Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Telesphore

Your Translation?

What translation of the Bible do you use?

I used to use the Jewish Publication Society's Jewish Study Bible; now I use the Messianic Tree of Life Version which includes the Brit Chadasha (NT). I just got it so I have no real opinion yet, but it is a beautiful book. Faux leather.

I use the old fashioned Kings James Version for most of my reading. I also own a parallel Bible that uses the NIV, KJV, and NASB, I use that Bible if I have confusion over something in my KJV version.

A big pro of the KJV is the almost poetic sounding a lot of the verses have. Psalm 23:4 and Joshua 1:9 (my favorite) for example

KJV:  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me

NLV: Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me

KJV: Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

NLV: This is my command--be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

The wording may be a bit hard for modern readers, its 400 year old English after all, you do get used to it. Plus, it helps with reading other material like Pilgrims Progress and Shakespeare.

Edited by PlasmaHam

I use the old fashioned Kings James Version for most of my reading. I also own a parallel Bible that uses the NIV, KJV, and NASB, I use that Bible if I have confusion over something in my KJV version.

A big pro of the KJV is the almost poetic sounding a lot of the verses have. Psalm 23:4 and Joshua 1:9 (my favorite) for example

KJV:  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me

NLV: Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me

KJV: Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

NLV: This is my command--be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

The wording may be a bit hard for modern readers, its 400 year old English after all, you do get used to it. Plus, it helps with reading other material like Pilgrims Progress and Shakespeare.

I use KJV as well.

I mostly use the HCSB, NET, NRSV, and GNT, in basically that order of consistency. I like the HCSB because I feel it does one of the best jobs balancing accuracy with pleasant, natural readability. It also, in the printed or Kindle versions, uses a quite lovely font.

I mainly use the NET to check on interesting translational or textual issues. I use the NRSV when I want a generally more literal and up-to-date read. And I use the GNT when I want something highly readable but still rock solid on accuracy.

I also occasionally use the YLT to peek into certain literal grammatical details.

NIV for studying, Message for reading.

*shudders*

I didn't think anyone actually reads The Message.

*shudders*

I didn't think anyone actually reads The Message.

Oh I don't take it seriously if that's what you mean. I just enjoy it as some light reading. I very strongly urge against using The Message as a primary source of scripture.

I read NKJV. It's easier for me to understand than KJV, plus I really like the exact Bible I use (the Ignite bible for teens) because it has sections to explain parts or show you how to apply verses to your life.

I think the Message is kinda cool, but I would never use it to study.

Shout out to Everett Fox's (incomplete) translation of the Hebrew Bible as a sort of English version of Rosenzweig and Buber's German translation. It basically aims to keep to the original Hebrew text by keeping the literacy devices even if it's to the detriment of how it flows or sounds. It's surprising how different it reads.

NIV for all-round use as I like the to-the-point, no-frills way it reads. 

I have versions of KJV, Good News, ESV and Revised Standard that I'll also dip into for different reasons, depending on what I need. 

Shout out to Everett Fox's (incomplete) translation of the Hebrew Bible as a sort of English version of Rosenzweig and Buber's German translation. It basically aims to keep to the original Hebrew text by keeping the literacy devices even if it's to the detriment of how it flows or sounds. It's surprising how different it reads.

You're my new favourite <3

I have a King James Bible but I don't really get along with it - however, it's less for the difficult English and more for the fact it's a pocket Bible.  It's pretty difficult for my eyes to focus on the print (the book is about the size of my hand) so I've put off reading the Bible for a really long time because of that.  And yes, I know I need to get a full size Bible.

For the new Bible I'm going to buy, however, I'm still debating between versions.  The KJV holds bad memories for me simply because studying out of that tiny book was so difficult and the language didn't make it any easier.  However, I used to work in a hotel, and I really got back into Bible study after having flicked through the Bibles that they leave in the hotel rooms (which I think are the New International Version, but I might be wrong?)  So I might opt for one of those, but I'm worried about the meaning or interpretation getting confused.  I'm not really sure which one I should buy to be honest.

As a Roman Catholic, we use a lot of different translations but my favorite is probably the NAS, a more literal translation. Still don't like how it translates sodomy and sodomites, tho