Sign in to follow this  
God's Faithful Girl

Controversial topic - a practice in nonjudgmentalism

Ok so here's a practice in nonjudgmentalism, which is a big part of dbt therapy, something I'm working on. The rules are state your opinion on medical marijuana without judging the person before you. I'll start. (Note: just medical use, not recreational use)

I believe it would be beneficial to those with terminal and mental illnesses, as well as seizures and other illnesses, because of its calming effect. I believe it should be legal for medical use because it would help a lot of people. I understand not everyone approves, and that is okay.

Seeing as how I'm a big believer in recreational use, I wholeheartedly support medical marijuana as well.

I completely disagree with recreational use, however, drugs for medical use have existed for ages and it should be no different for marijuana. While it does have side effects as every other medication, it can help ease pain and soothe some minds so. I am not against medical marijuana.

It is beneficial as a medical drug. Recreational use- I don't have a problem with what you smoke in your home. 

I completely disagree with recreational use, however, drugs for medical use have existed for ages and it should be no different for marijuana. While it does have side effects as every other medication, it can help ease pain and soothe some minds so. I am not against medical marijuana.

Yea, basically the same.

I support the legalization of medical marijuana as well as the decriminalization of recreational marijuana. I'm less passionate about full legalization of recreational marijuana but I still think it's a good thing. Living in Washington state through decriminalization and legalization, I just haven't seen legalization cause the rampant chaos and discord I think some people expect. 

Those are my legal views.

Morally, I think occasional recreational marijuana use is defensible but regular/daily use less so. As with all drugs with behavioral effects, however, I do believe that if you endanger others by your use (such as driving drunk/high) that is absolutely morally reprehensible. The fact that you were under the influence does not reduce culpability. 

What concerns me about medical marijuana is the addictiveness of the drug. If a doctor prescribes it, is there a plan to help the patient detox from it when the treatment is over so they can return to society without being tempted to break the law?(depending on which state they're in, of course.)

I use plants and teas and oils to help with various ailments, but none of them are addictive. The addiction aspect of the drug is the sole reason why I'm not like YAY MEDICAL MARIJUANA.
I already know people who are hooked on other medication. such as Vidocin and Adderall. Their lives are junked up. :\

And, as for recreational use, I think it's unwise, but as long as you don't drive or go to work high, it's your body.  Also, don't get the stuff that's been processed with God-knows-what in it. The other chemicals to stretch the drug have lead to deaths.

What concerns me about medical marijuana is the addictiveness of the drug

When I researched this a year or so ago, I couldn't find much good literature no the addictiveness of cannabis. There seemed to be some evidence that marijuana could exacerbate schizophrenia and become habitual in the same sense that video games can become habitual, but not much else. Is there any more conclusive research I'm not familiar with?

When I researched this a year or so ago, I couldn't find much good literature no the addictiveness of cannabis. There seemed to be some evidence that marijuana could exacerbate schizophrenia and become habitual in the same sense that video games can become habitual, but not much else. Is there any more conclusive research I'm not familiar with?

This maybe doesn't count as anything but word of mouth, but my brother's schizophrenia did surface fully due to MJ's influence. And in my experience MJ isn't something I've ever sought out, more something that someone might offer to share and I might bother accepting.

​I think it's alright to use medically... recreationally... if they keep it away from me, I'm fine. XP

"Marijuana is complicated. It can increase appetite and curb nausea.  There is some evidence that it can provide chronic pain relief.  The downsides to marijuana are that it impairs lung function, can increase anxiety and depression, and induce psychosis.  It also is constipating and is associated with deleterious cognitive effects." - http://blog.ercast.org/chronic-pain/

Marijuana is currently a Schedule I drug. "Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted (emphasis mine) medical use and a high potential for abuse." - https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

I think that marijuna is a drug with legitimate medical benefits, as well as significant side effects. Its classification as a Schedule I drug seems to be more about lack of evidence concerning either its safety or danger. I personally oppose recreational use, but am leaning toward decriminalization. I support appropriate medical use, appropriate being the key word. Opiods are analogous in that they have definite medical indications, but a high potential for abuse, so careful management is very necessary.

Edited by lauralei