cookiesncream

Questions about PRAYER and SIN, please help?

Hey there! Hope you are all doing well :)

For those who do not know me, I am 16 years old and am a new believer in Christ! There is still a lot for me to learn and I'm definitely hoping to grow in my faith and become closer to God.

So I have heard that there are many things that hinders our prayers from God that keeps God from listening to our prayers. And one of the main reasons for that is, unconfessed sin. And so, I definitely do have a lot of questions about that.

1. How can we know 100% FOR SURE that God is listening to our prayers? That our prayers will definitely reach heaven and that God will answer them?

2. Yes, we can ask God for forgiveness in our sins. But what if we have sins that we have not confessed to God because they were done a long time ago that we completely forgot about them?

3. Can you ask God to simply “forgive all your sins” or do you need to state specifically what it is?

4. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, all our sins are supposedly forgiven. That means past, present, and future sins. So do we still need to confess our sins all the time even though we are already forgiven because we accepted Christ?

5. And lastly, this one is a bit complicated. I knew that things such as homosexuality, lust, and psychics are sinful. But look at this: http://list25.com/25-normal-things-the-bible-forbids-but-we-still-do/1/I had no clue that eating lobster, snails, cheeseburgers, or pork (this one actually made sense though) were sinful? Or wearing ripped jeans or polyester is also sinful? So does that mean I need to just stop eating/wearing those things and confess all those things to God because I have done all things too many times? But I love eating lobster and I have lots of cute clothes in my wardrobe that are polyester material? So I guess God wants me to throw out my clothes made out of polyester? And if I keep wearing those clothes, apparently it is sinful and that my prayers will be hindered because I wear polyester?

Sorry it is a lot, just that when I pray, I don't want to have any doubts that God isn't listening to me. Thanks so much!

Edited by cookiesncream

For those who do not know me, I am 16 years old and am a new believer in Christ! There is still a lot for me to learn and I'm definitely hoping to grow in my faith and become closer to God.

So I have heard that there are many things that hinders our prayers from God that keeps God from listening to our prayers. And one of the main reasons for that is, unconfessed sin. And so, I definitely do have a lot of questions about that.

1. How can we know 100% FOR SURE that God is listening to our prayers? That our prayers will definitely reach heaven and that God will answer them?

2. Yes, we can ask God for forgiveness in our sins. But what if we have sins that we have not confessed to God because they were done a long time ago that we completely forgot about them?

3. Can you ask God to simply “forgive all your sins” or do you need to state specifically what it is?

4. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, all our sins are supposedly forgiven. That means past, present, and future sins. So do we still need to confess our sins all the time even though we are already forgiven because we accepted Christ?

5. And lastly, this one is a bit complicated. I knew that things such as homosexuality, lust, and psychics are sinful. But look at this: http://list25.com/25-normal-things-the-bible-forbids-but-we-still-do/1/I had no clue that eating lobster, snails, cheeseburgers, or pork (this one actually made sense though) were sinful? Or wearing ripped jeans or polyester is also sinful? So does that mean I need to just stop eating/wearing those things and confess all those things to God because I have done all things too many times? But I love eating lobster and I have lots of cute clothes in my wardrobe that are polyester material? So I guess God wants me to throw out my clothes made out of polyester? And if I keep wearing those clothes, apparently it is sinful and that my prayers will be hindered because I wear polyester?

Sorry it is a lot, just that when I pray, I don't want to have any doubts that God isn't listening to me. Thanks so much!

1. God is not just in Heaven, he is omnipresent. He's everywhere. Coming from that stand point, paired with the fact that he knows everything, you can rest assured that He hears your prayers even when it doesn't feel like He's paying you any attention. God's around whether you get the warm fuzzies or not.

2. You can go general here with "Lord forgive me for what I've done." even if you don't remember. 

3. I personally have done both. God sometimes brings sins to my attention and I ask for forgiveness of those specifically, other times it's been a long day, I don't know exactly what all went down, but i'm feeling bad about the day, so I ask forgiveness for "all I've done."

4. Others may say different, but I say "Confess as often as you need to." It's an act of humility, realizing you just junked up and knowing that you did something wrong and going for the Lord, telling you're sorry you blew it. He knows you blew it, you know you blew it, confession just clears the air, so to speak. I personally enjoy the feeling of relief from getting all of the sins off my chest. It's relaxing.

5. Ahhhh, the good old "Ah! I read the Pentateuch but love cheeseburgers!" conundrum.  this is how I've always understood it:  The early OT books were written in accordance with Jewish law and 1400-ish A,D culture, which would include the bacon cheeseburgers,seafood and the pork and the clothes.  People were painstakingly doing so many things to appease God's wrath, including building altars for sacrifice, so they'd be loved and not smote by God.  That's how life was before Jesus came.

Then Jesus came, bringing a new Covenant between God and Man. Jesus replaced all the offerings, said all food was good to eat because he'd made it clean, and set a precedent for hanging out with the social "low lifes" of the day. While a lot of those OT Laws applied to Jewish culture, they didn't really take off with us Gentiles ( again, this is how I've always understood it, someone feel free to give me a history lesson!). Modern Christianity has roots in Judaism, but has long since split off.

If you feel guilty about wearing clothes made of polyester and spandex, or ripped denim or eating seafood, then stop.  If you don't, then keep going.  What you wear and what you eat isn't going to somehow block God from hearing you.

We know this because of Jesus. By the Holy Spirit we are united to Jesus, and thus in Jesus we stand before the Father as beloved children. Because we are "in Christ," God will listen to us and treat us with the same favor and love and absolute care with which He gives His only-begotten Son.

Our forgiveness is perfected in Jesus. No sins will be left out, even if we do forget about them. God has, in an important sense, already forgotten about them from even before we did.

Asking God for forgiveness of sins isn't something we do to have our particular sins forgiven individually, as though every sin is its own problem. We confess our sins not so that any specific sins will be forgiven, but because by confessing our sins we put ourselves entirely at the mercy of God, who forgives all of our sins in Jesus Christ.

As I way saying immediately above, confession isn't a way to get specific sins forgiven, but a way to put ourselves at God's mercy in Jesus. When we confess our sinfulness in ourselves, we admit our need of Christ and depend upon Him in faith. By this faith we receive the full, once-for-all forgiveness of sins which Jesus accomplished on the Cross, just with fresh import and significance for each time we confess.

All of these laws were given to Israel under the Old Covenant as a form of training, preparation, and formation. God used these laws to regulate their life and thought in such a way that would turn them into the specific kind of people from whom Jesus could finally be born and live out His life as the Messiah and Savior. In the meantime, these also served to mark out Israel as God's chosen people among all the other nations of the earth. But now that Christ has come, He Himself is the center of all God's plans and God's people. Therefore the law given to Israel in the Old Testament is no longer in effect. Indeed, it was suspended in AD 70 when the Temple was destroyed and God judged Israel for the last time. While many of the laws in the Old Testament are still helpful pointers to what is right and wrong, as a whole we are not under this law, but the Law of Christ. If there is anything which is sinful for us now, it is mentioned in the New Testament.

On 07/09/2016 at 3:51 AM, cookiesncream said:

1. We don't but we always hope or at least assume he is, we just have to wait and observe

2. Then there might be a part in your life where God tries to remind you, in a dream or a vision maybe, like they say God work's in mysterious ways, but if you can't remember no matter what I guess he'll forgive you.

3. God knows everything so why would you need to be specific? 

4. You also need to consider that you said "supposedly" so I suppose that in theory he will forgive you for everything but you will also be doing something sinful if you do not ask for forgiveness when you do do something sinful and you think that you have already been forgiven, god is not lenient, he is a being with a book of rules.

5. book of rules says no so I guess so, but humans change and so does god, so maybe god is lenient in that area lol.