Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Michi

What does the Bible says about girls can´t wear pants?

I am a Pentecostal Christian and i ask my self this question all the time is that why is it bad for girls to wear pants? i wear skirts all the time and sometimes i get sick of wearing it. When it comes to winter i have to wear leggings underneath the skirt. I just want to know why girls can´t wear pants in my domination.

For the most part, this belief is limited to a few fundamentalist Baptist and Pentecostal sects, and it is rejected by the Church at large. Restricting women from pants is a violation of the freedom in Christ we have from an abundance of rules and regulations. It is no better than the commands Scripture condemns like "Do not taste," "Do not handle." 

There is a way of modesty, which is appropriate for Christian living, but ridiculous rules like "Women can't wear pants" go beyond modesty into legalism.

The Bible does stress modesty in numerous places, and for many people modesty involves clothing restrictions. There are guys who never wear shorts, and girls who never wear pants. The Bible never says or even implies that, "Thou shalt not wear pants." The idea that women should not wear pants in more cultural than scriptural, and in my personal opinion as long as you stay modest wear whatever you want.

I'm not familiar with Pentecostal stances and interpretations, I would be curious to know how they justify clothing restrictions. 

Edited by PlasmaHam

I asked my pastor about why girls can´t wear pants but i didn´t understand much of what he said

23 minutes ago, Michi said:

I asked my pastor about why girls can´t wear pants but i didn´t understand much of what he said

That's probably because the position that women can't wear pants is absurd and irrational.

1 hour ago, Michi said:

yeah but i still have no choice but to wear skirts

Well, if you're stuck with this church I'd just say to voice your objection and then submit while keeping a respectful disagreement. If you can argue your case, try, but if you fail just cooperate while making your stance clear and firm. That's my advice, at least. If you can leave the church, though, it might not be an awful idea if there is nothing very important to keep you there.

19 hours ago, Nicene Nerd said:

Well, if you're stuck with this church I'd just say to voice your objection and then submit while keeping a respectful disagreement. If you can argue your case, try, but if you fail just cooperate while making your stance clear and firm. That's my advice, at least. If you can leave the church, though, it might not be an awful idea if there is nothing very important to keep you there.

thank you

I go to a pentecostal church, and i didn't realize that i was basically the only one wearing pants, then my parents found out about the rules in the church about girls having to wear skirts, and we did follow that, but we still wear pants outside of church when we want to, I don't really take it seriously though. I've heard people say how God wants women to dress like that, but I never took it to myself to go look it up.

On 10/29/2016 at 4:15 PM, MandySCOtt said:

I go to a pentecostal church, and i didn't realize that i was basically the only one wearing pants, then my parents found out about the rules in the church about girls having to wear skirts, and we did follow that, but we still wear pants outside of church when we want to, I don't really take it seriously though. I've heard people say how God wants women to dress like that, but I never took it to myself to go look it up.

oh okay. i use to do that.i use to wear pants outside of church but wear skirts when i am in church until  i stopped wearing pants completly.

There isn't a Bible passage that says girls can't wear pants.

My understanding is that some churches have this rule because pants are considered too revealing. And/or they want men and women to look/be different.

Or.... they believe people (both men and women) should dress formally when they're at church and women wearing a skirt or dress is part of that. 

Sometimes the "dress code" imposed by the church is in an effort to separate the congregation for the world and "worldly sin." At least this is the case with the Amish and the more plain branches of the Mennonite church, Church of the Brethren, and Brethren in Christ. 

Someone completely misinterpreted "Women shouldn't dress as men" verse from Deuteronomy, decided it was all about pants, and made it integral to their denomination to the point of legalism and pants-shaming (like skank-shaming, but kinda worse when a pastor is down your throat about it.

" "A woman must not put on men's clothing, and a man must not wear women's clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God."-Deut. 22:5

To me, this verse implies that cross-dressing is sin. 

Edited by Boogles
triggered the filter, my bad.

12 hours ago, Boogles said:

Someone completely misinterpreted "Women shouldn't dress as men" verse from Deuteronomy, decided it was all about pants, and made it integral to their denomination to the point of legalism and pants-shaming (like skank-shaming, but kinda worse when a pastor is down your throat about it.

" "A woman must not put on men's clothing, and a man must not wear women's clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God."-Deut. 22:5

To me, this verse implies that cross-dressing is sin. 

In the not-too-distant past, women didn't wear pants. They were considered exclusively men's clothing (at least in the Western world). 

The bible says nothing about it. God loves no matter what you wear. If it´s banned for girls, then also or boys. That might be a sect as maybe they see pants as masculine idk. Just feel free to wear whatever you want. 

I think she can do it, but at church u have to wear dress! i'm not even such a religious person as i believe in science (when i feel bad i search for online pharmacy reviews and i don't go to church) but i still think that there are some things that must be done they way they should.

Edited by Befookeery

Hm, this rule is really strange. Why girls can't wear it? And why almost nobody can't explain this rule. I asked my pastor too but he can't explain me that. I thought that I will find answer on this site but it is still without result

Edited by angelarivera

I ONCE WENT TO A PENTECOSTAL CHURCH AND I HEARD THAT THE PASTOR SAID THAT GIRLS WHO WEAR PANTS WILL GO TO HELL AND THIS SHOCKED ME. MY OPINION ON THIS IS THAT YOU NEED TO BE VERY WISE IN THE SENSE ON WHAT YOU WEAR CAUSE REMEMBER OUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE LORD. TAKE FOR EXAMPLE IS YOU WERE TO WEAR SHORT PANTS LIKE WHAT GIRLS ARE WEARING NOW OF DAYS IF SOME WERE TO SEE YOU THEY WOULD NOT THINK OF YOU AS A CHRISTIAN RATHER SOMEONE OF THE WORLD. WEARING PANTS IS NOT WRONG BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE LORD AND THE WAY YOU CARRY OUT YOURSELF DRESS OR LIFESTYLE DEFINES YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. I DON'T BELIEVE THE BIBLE SPECIFICALLY TALKS ABOUT GIRLS CANT WEAR PANTS BUT HE MADE IT VERY CLEAR SAYING OUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF CHRIST. HOPE THIS HELPED :)