Transsexuality  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's a sin to be transsexual?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should trans boys have access to male bathrooms? Should trans girls have access to female bathrooms? Do they have the right to go to the bathroom of their identified gender, regardless of the gender they were born with?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you marry someone transgender? (If you're male, would you marry a trans female? If you're a female, would you marry a trans male?)

• Yes
    • No

Transsexuals are people who identify as the opposite of the gender they were born with. (eg: trans boys were originally born female, but eventually changed their gender identity. Though they were born female, they're to be identified as male and referred to with he/him pronouns. vice versa with trans women.) There has been a long discussion on trans people and their rights -- and saying trans, this includes trans people pre-surgery and pre-testosterone as well. What are your opinions on them?

Edited by lonelyhands

I don't think it is a sin to feel a strong sense of disconnect between sex and gender identity, but I think it's a sin to go from there to transforming yourself into your desired form. Transgender people, like all who find their minds disconnected in some major way from reality, need help, not affirmation.

I said yes to above, assuming they have changed their gender entirely.

We all may not totally connect with ourselves, but I think it is sinful to change the body that God gave you in that way. If He made you a female by sex, you are a female, and you do not have the right to change that...

I do not think they should be permitted into bathrooms of like genders. It is psychologically proven by the way most transgenders are male-to-female, and most of these still have attraction to women. Plus people abuse things, it is a playground for bad things to happen. I think we should give them a gender neutral bathroom though, so they don't have to feel uncomfortable at least.

If I truly loved the person, yes, I would marry him or her.

30 minutes ago, Jesusismyticket said:

I said yes to above, assuming they have changed their gender entirely.

We all may not totally connect with ourselves, but I think it is sinful to change the body that God gave you in that way. If He made you a female by sex, you are a female, and you do not have the right to change that...

I do not think they should be permitted into bathrooms of like genders. It is psychologically proven by the way most transgenders are male-to-female, and most of these still have attraction to women. Plus people abuse things, it is a playground for bad things to happen. I think we should give them a gender neutral bathroom though, so they don't have to feel uncomfortable at least.

If I truly loved the person, yes, I would marry him or her.

Citation? "Psychologically proven" seems a bit dubious. I've interacted with many more FTM so I'd just be curious to see where you're pulling your information from. I also find it a little bit funny that you plead to the idea that most MTF's are attracted to women. Lesbians are attracted to women as well, should we ban them? What about bisexuals and pansexuals? Unisex bathrooms only for them? Accidents could happen. :glare:

And I'm not missing the core issue here. I get that women would tend to be more threatened by a biological male (so a MTF) than any biological female (usually including a FTM unless they're quite far along in their transition). No one talks about FTM's going into a male bathroom. Still, I hate pleading to the idea of attraction. Perpetuates the idea that a homosexual person is only a step away from being a predator. 

Edited by Marley

1 hour ago, Marley said:

Citation? "Psychologically proven" seems a bit dubious. I've interacted with many more FTM so I'd just be curious to see where you're pulling your information from. I also find it a little bit funny that you plead to the idea that most MTF's are attracted to women. Lesbians are attracted to women as well, should we ban them? What about bisexuals and pansexuals? Unisex bathrooms only for them? Accidents could happen. :glare:

And I'm not missing the core issue here. I get that women would tend to be more threatened by a biological male (so a MTF) than any biological female (usually including a FTM unless they're quite far along in their transition). No one talks about FTM's going into a male bathroom. Still, I hate pleading to the idea of attraction. Perpetuates the idea that a homosexual person is only a step away from being a predator. 

Well technically, it was brought up in my psychology 101 class about 2 weeks ago, so I reference the statistics in my psychology book.

My case here, is not so much they will necessarily be a predator. I get ANYONE could be a predator. However, the transgender thing creates a new issue. Often they will dress as the other gender as well. There has already been incidents of predators cross-dressing, claiming they are trans or genderqueer, and going into the bathroom to tape women or harass them. Nothing will ever be perfect, but with the rape culture that tends to exist today (yeah, before I went to college they had to remind me what CONSENT means...isn't that a sad thing?) shouldn't we be making it safer, not more dangerous? This would allow anyone to go "I identify at ____" and enter the bathroom, whether they actually do or not. I don't want a little boy to get molested by a woman either! It shouldn't happen either way. And giving them their own bathroom is not discrimination, it is a fair compromise.

Tricky issue for me.

There's nothing religiously wrong with transsexuals from a liberal Jewish perspective. In fact just recently (well, about a year ago) the Union for Reform Judaism passed A Resolution on the Rights of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People, which reaffirms a Reform commitment to inclusion of transpeople. Similarly, the Bnei Yisroel Union for Progressive Judaism, to which I belong, states in the document B'tzelem Elohim - Articulating a Vision for Progressive Judaism that Progressive Jews "are committed fundamentally to respecting and protecting the innate dignity which man possesses;" which would include not discriminating against transpeople.

So while there should be nothing wrong with transsexualism from my perspective, I still wrestle with a deep discomfort with it. I am, in my heart of hearts, a gender essentialist and question whether transpeople might not better be served by counseling and therapy, rather than immediately supporting them in whatever gender they choose to be. At the same time, I am dating a transboy who wants to get married; and I more or less "tolerate" her identity as a boy, although to others I refer to her as a girl. It's a fine line, and one which occasionally blurs.

I feel that transgenderism, like any other mental condition, should be treated as such, instead of allowing people to live in their own fantasy's. I'm pretty sure thinking that you are something that you aren't is still a mental issue.

I think it is perfectly fine to do activities and have a mentality more in common with the opposite sex, but you are still mentally, physically, and spiritually your birth gender. To say that a man is a woman after he mutilates his body and pumps it full of hormones is like saying a dog is a cat if you put it in a cat costume and teach it to meow instead of bark. It is still a dog, and that man is still a man.

I don't support people using the bathroom they wish. And no, this is not an equality issue. Saying that transgender and non-transgenders must use the correct bathroom for the exact same reasoning seems a lot more equal than letting transgender chose what they want while everyone else doesn't get a choice. I don't see how this is an inequality issue like the media like to tout it as. There have been numerous recorded cases of people using bathroom choice to spy on the opposite sex. I'm not saying transgenders are always at blame, but many people can exploit that open door for less than ideal actions.

I also have a real big issue with pre-puberty kids deciding that they want to change their gender, and the parents supporting that by doing treatments and surgery. Kids that age can barely choose their own clothes, nevertheless do live changing decisions. I read a report a few months back about this. A majority of young kids feel jealousy or curiosity about the other gender similar to gender dysphoria, but by puberty almost all kids grow out of that. Parents who want to basically indoctrinate their kids that they need a sex change and want to disturb their natural growth and development should be criminally charged in my opinion.

No, to the first question.

Yes, to the second question.

No, to the third question. There is absolutely no way I would be romantically interested in a trans person without a sex change operation. And even with a sex change operation I don't think so. There are enough pansexual and maybe bisexual for trans people to find that kind of love with.

Transgender youth who's parents reject their gender identity are 13 times more likely to attempt suicide than transgender youth who's parents accept them. And trans people with a strong support system 82% less likely to attempt suicide. It's similar to how LGB teens from unaccepting families are 8 times more likely to attempt suicide than teens very accepting families. Or studies from the late 1980's-early 2000's found, that when everything relevant like personal socioeconomic factors, community socioeconomic factors, average age of the area, racial demographics of the area, and religiosity of the area were controlled for, LGB people living in areas where the surrounding population was least accepting of homosexuality died 12 years earlier than in areas where the general population was most accepting of homosexuality. In the most accepting areas 92% of the LGB people were still alive 20 years after the study started, while only 78% of the LGB people still alive in the least accepting areas. Which thankfully at least as far as LGB are concerned in the US this is increasingly a thing of the past. 

Here's a study that found on a 26-item scale that trans people who experience more discrimination are more likely to attempt suicide.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08964289.2015.1028322?journalCode=vbmd20

I'm not interested in getting in a debate, but anyone talking about this issue has to really take seriously the issue of 41% of transgendered have attempted suicide. And it's very strongly associated with discrimination and rejection, particularly by family. Many gay, and to lesser extent bisexual, people have been put through enough emotional and physiological abuse (some of it unintentional, and most of it from good intentions), and I'm sure it's way worse and more common for transgender people.

And also FtM trans people have parts of their brain that are similar genetic men, and MtF have parts of their brain that are similar to genetic women. Though transgender people have brains in between genetic men and genetic women. That's a fact. Trans people's brains, and bodies don't match up. And yes, there is such a thing as a male and a female brain I'm very supportive of trans people, but I don't buy the whole non-binary gender thing. Yes, there are I'm sure people who don't 100% feel like either gender, but it's an exception, and doesn't mean that vast majority of people don't feel like one gender or the other.

http://transascity.org/the-transgender-brain/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan/

I despise the Oppression Olympics that SJWs play, but in 2016 America transgender would be at the top in my opinion when it comes to who has it the on average the worse. Or at least who you're allowed to treat with the most contempt.

Basically I care. I don't want to see more transgender people commit suicide or be murdered because of prejudice. I saw a really insulting and sexist Intersectional, Third Wave Feminist article that said "Masculinity is Killing Trans Women". Masculinity isn't killing trans women (or men), but bad ideas are.

I probably shouldn't have said anything because I'm trying to hardly use the Internet at all, and don't want to get into a debate/long discussion or conversation. But I just felt guilty not saying anything. I wish people would try to get to know (even if not in real life because I don't as far as I know know any trans people IRL) and understand transgender people before saying they're mentally ill. Has anyone who says trans people are mentally ill even had casual friendship with one?

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

1 hour ago, PlasmaHam said:

I also have a real big issue with pre-puberty kids deciding that they want to change their gender, and the parents supporting that by doing treatments and surgery. Kids that age can barely choose their own clothes, nevertheless do live changing decisions. 

I actually agree with you on this. At least as far as hormones and sex change operations are concerned. It's way too big of a decision to make before around 16. Here's a transgender girl, who makes awesome videos showing the ridiculousness of SJW-ish, talking on this.

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

Well technically, it was brought up in my psychology 101 class about 2 weeks ago, so I reference the statistics in my psychology book.

My case here, is not so much they will necessarily be a predator. I get ANYONE could be a predator. However, the transgender thing creates a new issue. Often they will dress as the other gender as well. There has already been incidents of predators cross-dressing, claiming they are trans or genderqueer, and going into the bathroom to tape women or harass them. Nothing will ever be perfect, but with the rape culture that tends to exist today (yeah, before I went to college they had to remind me what CONSENT means...isn't that a sad thing?) shouldn't we be making it safer, not more dangerous? This would allow anyone to go "I identify at ____" and enter the bathroom, whether they actually do or not. I don't want a little boy to get molested by a woman either! It shouldn't happen either way. And giving them their own bathroom is not discrimination, it is a fair compromise.

Interesting. It's not something I've actually read up on. 

No one should be assaulted in a bathroom. I'm just not convinced that carding people before they enter a bathroom actually makes everyone safer. I think it's important to consider the safety of kids, but also to consider the safety of trans-gendered people (who are also likely to be assaulted in bathrooms). I imagine a more relaxed system where no one can get kicked out of a bathroom for sex/gender alone but EVERYONE can get kicked out for lewd activity. People who generally look like men go to the mens room. People who generally look like women go the the women's restroom. And if someone who doesn't fit the binary or has extenuating circumstances occasionally uses the restroom you wouldn't think they would you can still call security if they're taking pictures under the stall. 

Imagine a scenario. A recently widowed father and his 6 year old daughter are at a park. After a large grape snow cone, the young girl announces that she needs to go to the potty NOW. Suddenly dad hesitates, there are no family restrooms availible and he'd rather not bring his little girl into the men's restroom but North Carolina recently passed a law that says no man can enter a women's restroom. A little unsure, he enters the restroom and stands near the hand dryers while his daughter heads to one of the stalls. Suddenly an elderly woman exits one of the stalls and shrieks "PERVERT!". The man attempts to explain himself, but nevertheless a park ranger is called. The situation is smoothed out eventually, but dad is frustrated. Is he just supposed to let his little girl go into a restroom alone? 

In this situation, a more unisex leaning policy could have actually helped. Then you also get the issue of transgender kids getting beat up. FTM's that REALLY look like men getting kicked out of bathrooms. Caregivers of mentally handicapped or elderly people. 

idk man, I just think less regulation here is probably better. 

On 10/7/2016 at 9:15 PM, Marley said:

Imagine a scenario. A recently widowed father and his 6 year old daughter are at a park. After a large grape snow cone, the young girl announces that she needs to go to the potty NOW. Suddenly dad hesitates, there are no family restrooms availible and he'd rather not bring his little girl into the men's restroom but North Carolina recently passed a law that says no man can enter a women's restroom. A little unsure, he enters the restroom and stands near the hand dryers while his daughter heads to one of the stalls. Suddenly an elderly woman exits one of the stalls and shrieks "PERVERT!". The man attempts to explain himself, but nevertheless a park ranger is called. The situation is smoothed out eventually, but dad is frustrated. Is he just supposed to let his little girl go into a restroom alone? 

How does the North Carolina law make this situation suddenly worse? If your grandma walked into the ladies room and saw a random guy sitting there, do you not expect her to make a fuss about it? I really don't see how this situation would play any differently in any other state. There is still an unspoken standard when it comes to bathrooms that most of the population follows.

As for the guy, I've had to take my younger sisters to the bathroom multiple times. I just take them to the men's room, because people understand a guy bringing in small children with you to the male bathroom, regardless of gender. People don't really understand a guy going into the woman's bathroom for his child. Your hypothetical guy just needs to make the smart decision here, and everything would be dandy. 

It's not that I don't expect people to make a fuss. It's that I think we need to be mindful that some people have extenuating circumstances. Another scenario could involve a father with a mentally/physically handicapped adult daughter or a female nurse accompanying an elderly man on an outing. It seems like the default is "when in doubt, use the male restroom" which fine, maybe that's the reality we're in right now, but do we need to bring fines and whatnot into it?  Is the rare masculine presence really that much of a threat? The father in my scenario may have caused alarm to the women in the female bathroom, but if the concern is that a (presumably biologcially male) creep could oggle his daughter in the girls bathroom, isn't that happening still a threat in a bathroom with statistically a lot more men? Perhaps my hypothetical father made the "wrong" choice here but the idea of him facing possible legal reparation for it, to me, seems ridiculous. I personally feel like transgender people fall under a similar umbrella of extenuating circumstance. After all, our hypothetical old lady would also be fairly likely to scream at this transgender man if he walked into the bathroom when, low and behold, he's actually supposed to be in there based on his biological sex. Transgender people are really likely to get kicked out of or harassed in bathrooms, typically when a transgender person chooses a bathroom opposite of their biological sex their trying to choose an environment that feels safe to them or that's least likely to cause a ruckus. 

I just hate that masculinity ALWAYS has to be perceived as such a threat when it's seen in places that it shouldn't be. We have a male first grade teacher sign on with us this year and like clockwork the first day a women came in requesting that her daughter be able to move classes because he was a male. Similarly, a guy in my cohort had security called on him twice when he first started doing his practicum coursework at a local elementary school even though he was wearing a collared shirt, tie, and name badge. I remember an instance when a man profusely apologized to me because he was using the changing table in the women's room (no changing table in the men's) to diaper his baby and another where a guy actually apologized to me for me having to walk in on him helping his wife who had fallen and was having seizure in the bathroom. I didn't feel threatened in either of these situation because of obvious extenuating circumstances and I similarly don't feel threatened when I end up sharing a restroom with a MTF transgender person because I could recognize it as one of those extenuating circumstances. 

I just want an extending of grace in these situations I guess. I feel like the hullabaloo over the bathrooms moves things in the wrong direction. I just don't see how my hypothetical guy's reasoning was "wrong" wrong in comparison to the expected norm maybe but truly wrong? 

But I'm getting off on a tangent here and should probably take my leave of the conversation. My answers to the above questions would be undecided, yes, and no.

Edited by Marley

Sorry if I'm coming into this a bit late, I just thought that I'd share a few thoughts. There were some things brought up in earlier posts that I'm going to address one by one.

On 10/7/2016 at 10:53 AM, Jesusismyticket said:

I do not think they should be permitted into bathrooms of like genders. It is psychologically proven by the way most transgenders are male-to-female, and most of these still have attraction to women. Plus people abuse things, it is a playground for bad things to happen.

Just because someone is attracted to women, doesn't mean that when they go into a women's washroom they're going to sexually harass someone. Most people have the decency to refrain from doing something disrespectful. If someone doesn't have that decency, they're going to do it regardless of whether it's legal for them to go into the washroom or not.

On 10/7/2016 at 1:49 PM, Synod said:

I am dating a transboy who wants to get married; and I more or less "tolerate" her identity as a boy, although to others I refer to her as a girl. It's a fine line, and one which occasionally blurs.

This is extremely disrespectful to you boyfriend. If someone trusts you enough to be in a relationship with you, shouldn't you respect them enough to call them what they want to be called? Unless your boyfriend told you that it was alright for you to refer to them as a girl, I think that you should try harder to respect their choices. As someone mentioned before, suicide rates are high for trans people. Part of that is because they can get the feeling that no-one respects or understands who they think they are.

On 10/7/2016 at 2:34 PM, PlasmaHam said:

I think it is perfectly fine to do activities and have a mentality more in common with the opposite sex, but you are still mentally, physically, and spiritually your birth gender. To say that a man is a woman after he mutilates his body and pumps it full of hormones is like saying a dog is a cat if you put it in a cat costume and teach it to meow instead of bark. It is still a dog, and that man is still a man.

I don't support people using the bathroom they wish. And no, this is not an equality issue. Saying that transgender and non-transgenders must use the correct bathroom for the exact same reasoning seems a lot more equal than letting transgender chose what they want while everyone else doesn't get a choice. I don't see how this is an inequality issue like the media like to tout it as. There have been numerous recorded cases of people using bathroom choice to spy on the opposite sex. I'm not saying transgenders are always at blame, but many people can exploit that open door for less than ideal actions.

I also have a real big issue with pre-puberty kids deciding that they want to change their gender, and the parents supporting that by doing treatments and surgery. Kids that age can barely choose their own clothes, nevertheless do live changing decisions. I read a report a few months back about this. A majority of young kids feel jealousy or curiosity about the other gender similar to gender dysphoria, but by puberty almost all kids grow out of that. Parents who want to basically indoctrinate their kids that they need a sex change and want to disturb their natural growth and development should be criminally charged in my opinion.

1)The whole point of being Transgender is that mentally, you are the gender other than the one you were given at birth. It is not a case of a cat being put in a dog costume. It would better be described as a cat being taken out of a dog costume, allowing it to be what it always was on the inside.

2)To be honest, trans people are in just as much danger as cis people when it comes to harassment, perhaps even more. This isn't just an equality thing. I think that it acts to help keep trans people safe.

3)I do agree with you on that. I think that many people have been caught up in the sudden limelight being shone on gender issues, and rush headlong into it without taking the time to think and reflect first.

So yeah, a few thoughts. I do have more to say, but this ended up being a bit longer than I had anticipated...

i understand that some people can be born trans, but it is one thing to feel something and quite another to act on it.

i think that, just like with any sin there is a temptation to do the "thing" i.e have a sex change operation but you do NOT have to act upon it. the fact that a lot of people do is also, like the girl from the video said, because of a "fad" a passing trend. in the school i go to a friend of mine refused to accept the fact that a girl was viewing herself as a "male" and did not want her to go into the male restrooms. the next day the trans individual came to school wearing a shirt that said "trans and proud of it". the day after that my friend came to school with a shirt that said "christian" on the front.   

guess who went to the principals and was asked to not wear the shirt?    

i find that being a minority or gay, lesbian, trans etc. is starting to become a advantage, if you are mean or disrespectful to a trans then you get called a racist bigot get fired and sued out of your mind. but make fun of a straight white guy? no one cares!!!    

if you guys have experienced anything like this yourselves, please let me know.

Yes, having a sex change operation is considered a sin. But who cares? Jesus teaches us to love the sinners, and it isn't very loving to make them feel disrespected and alone.

It's true that in general, people don't care about disrespect against cis, white guys as much as they do about disrespect against minority groups. But take a minute to consider why. Pretty much every minority group has dealt with a ton of persecution and has fought to reach where they are now. Cis, white men have it made. They rarely have to worry about being treated like an outcast because of how they look, being treated as less-than-human because of the way they act, or hated because of things they can't control. White men are living the dream that everyone else has been hoping for. Anyone who actually cares about humanity and wants a better world will agree that we have to get to a point where everyone is treated equally, where everyone gets the same privileges that straight white guys do. When someone insults a cis, white man, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of insults that members of minority groups have to deal with. People are working hard for a more equal world, and have more important things to work on then helping a privileged white boy when his feelings get hurt once. It might not be pretty for you, but that seems to be how the world works. I hope that makes sense and clears some things up for you.

In general, I feel that the LGBTQ issue has become a way lager issue then it should be. The Bible tells us not to do it, sure. But you know what else the Bible tells us not to do? Lie. And I can assure you that everyone here has lied at least once in their life. Does that mean we should treat each other as less? Does that mean that God treats us as less? No. We forgive and we love. In the big LGBTQ debate, the sin has been blown so out of proportion that people forget those two things that Jesus is constantly telling us to do in response to the sin: love and forgive.

Edited by CalwaOlor
spelling fix :)

38 minutes ago, CalwaOlor said:

Yes, having a sex change operation is considered a sin. But who cares? Jesus teaches us to love the sinners, and it isn't very loving to make them feel disrespected and alone.

It's true that in general, people don't care about disrespect against cis, whit guys as much as they do about disrespect against minority groups. But take a minute to consider why. Pretty much every minority group has dealt with a ton of persecution and has fought to reach where they are now. Cis, white men have it made. They rarely have to worry about being treated like an outcast because of how they look, being treated as less-than-human because of the way they act, or hated because of things they can't control. White men are living the dream that everyone else has been hoping for. Anyone who actually cares about humanity and wants a better world will agree that we have to get to a point where everyone is treated equally, where everyone gets the same privileges that straight white guys do. When someone insults a cis, white man, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of insults that members of minority groups have to deal with. People are working hard for a more equal world, and have more important things to work on then helping a privileged white boy when his feelings get hurt once. It might not be pretty for you, but that seems to be how the world works. I hope that makes sense and clears some things up for you.

In general, I feel that the LGBTQ issue has become a way lager issue then it should be. The Bible tells us not to do it, sure. But you know what else the Bible tells us not to do? Lie. And I can assure you that everyone here has lied at least once in their life. Does that mean we should treat each other as less? Does that mean that God treats us as less? No. We forgive and we love. In the big LGBTQ debate, the sin has been blown so out of proportion that people forget those two things that Jesus is constantly telling us to do in response to the sin: love and forgive.

AMEN. i dont think i can really add anything to this...

I personally don't have too many problems with it, but my sister had quite a few. She ended up having to change high schools because she was receiving hate mail from classmates (and this was at a Christian school). People who were her "friends" were sending her messages about how they hated her and thought she should just die. It was awful. She switched to an alternative school, and people were much more accepting. Now she's in university and it isn't a problem.

wow...............   nothing like that happened here. i cant believe that was at a christian school. (oh, wait. i guess i can because i have never been to one) but i would still think that in this day and age that kind of actions would have stopped, right? i mean, we have gay pride parades and all sort of other pro LGBT advertisement. i mean, even racism has hit the hay. nowadays you have a better job opportunity if you are a minority then a straight white male.  

how long ago was this?

8 minutes ago, OrthodoxWilderness said:

wow...............   nothing like that happened here. i cant believe that was at a christian school. (oh, wait. i guess i can because i have never been to one) but i would still think that in this day and age that kind of actions would have stopped, right? i mean, we have gay pride parades and all sort of other pro LGBT advertisement. i mean, even racism has hit the hay. nowadays you have a better job opportunity if you are a minority then a straight white male.  

how long ago was this?

I think that you'll find that straight white men still have the upper hand when it comes to employment. Things are definitely getting better, however. And yeah, you'd think that people would have learned by now that discrimination is awful and needs to stop. But unfortunately, that's not the case. People are just too stubborn and misinformed for that to happen.

All of the stuff with my sister happened 2 years ago.

17 minutes ago, CalwaOlor said:

I think that you'll find that straight white men still have the upper hand when it comes to employment. Things are definitely getting better, however. And yeah, you'd think that people would have learned by now that discrimination is awful and needs to stop. But unfortunately, that's not the case. People are just too stubborn and misinformed for that to happen.

All of the stuff with my sister happened 2 years ago.

but ive been looking at debates and the stuff thats been happening. there is a specific phone number (311) you can call for hatespeach and in a court case the black guy is more likely to win the sympathy of the people, because everyone assumes that racism is everywhere, even though it isnt. i have not heard very many cases of discrimination, in fact i have heard (recently) more anti-white propaganda them anti-black.  

people on campuss are even tearing down pictures of (for example) shakespeare and replacing them with a gay black poet whos poetry isnt even good.  if all of thats happening there it is hard to imagine that any of that stuff still exists.

We should probably take this discussion to another place, since we're kind of drifting from the original topic. :) 

If you want to keep on talking about racism and discrimination, feel free to message me.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, CalwaOlor said:

Sorry if I'm coming into this a bit late, I just thought that I'd share a few thoughts. There were some things brought up in earlier posts that I'm going to address one by one.

Just because someone is attracted to women, doesn't mean that when they go into a women's washroom they're going to sexually harass someone. Most people have the decency to refrain from doing something disrespectful. If someone doesn't have that decency, they're going to do it regardless of whether it's legal for them to go into the washroom or not.

This is extremely disrespectful to you boyfriend. If someone trusts you enough to be in a relationship with you, shouldn't you respect them enough to call them what they want to be called? Unless your boyfriend told you that it was alright for you to refer to them as a girl, I think that you should try harder to respect their choices. As someone mentioned before, suicide rates are high for trans people. Part of that is because they can get the feeling that no-one respects or understands who they think they are.

1)The whole point of being Transgender is that mentally, you are the gender other than the one you were given at birth. It is not a case of a cat being put in a dog costume. It would better be described as a cat being taken out of a dog costume, allowing it to be what it always was on the inside.

2)To be honest, trans people are in just as much danger as cis people when it comes to harassment, perhaps even more. This isn't just an equality thing. I think that it acts to help keep trans people safe.

3)I do agree with you on that. I think that many people have been caught up in the sudden limelight being shone on gender issues, and rush headlong into it without taking the time to think and reflect first.

So yeah, a few thoughts. I do have more to say, but this ended up being a bit longer than I had anticipated...

I would like to comment particularly on #1.

You are born with your sex...You are either male or female... Now I naturally say I don't judge them too much because I DON'T know what it feels like to look down at my body and not be comfortable with the sex I was born with.

But generally, if they were truly a male/female on the inside, they wouldn't have to have surgery to make it true. I feel bad for their struggle, but I don't think we should pretend it is normal and say that they were born female or male when they were not. I do support their happiness though, as long as their happiness does not infringe on my safety. That is all.

Sorry, maybe I should have made myself clearer. :)

When I said "on the inside", I was referring to their mental/emotional state. People are born with certain distinguishing physical features, to be sure. But someone's mental state doesn't always match their physical state. I think I remember reading in National Geographic that it is biologically possible for someone to be born with a "female" brain, but have a male body (and vice versa), due to various factors taking place during gestation.