Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Colts_Fanatic

Non-Christian Genre, Christian Meanings

So this is just a little chat for fun. But I was wondering if y'all have songs you guys like, that aren't considered Christian Music genre, but have Christian meanings. Like often country artist will have a song with Christian meanings and gospel truths.

For instance:

•  Savior's Shadow by Blake Shelton (Such a gospel truth and smooth, slow sound, I thought it was his cover of an old hymn)
    • "Though the devil tries to break me, my sweet Jesus won't forsake me. When I'm in my Savior's shadow I'm where I'm supposed to be."
  • I Got Friends That Do by Tim McGraw (Last minute of  the song)
    • "And I may not know, what it's like, to send my only Son to save the world and watch Him die. And I may not know, how it feels, to hang their on the cross to prove that love is real. But I got friends that do."
  • Whiskey on my Breath by Love and Theft (About one of the two guys in the duo and his struggle with alcohol)
    • Chorus: Oh I know that I'm going to heaven, but I can't go being like this. I need to pull myself together before then. No I ain't afraid of dying, but what scares me to death, is meeting Jesus with Whiskey on my breath."
  • Walk the Line by Johnny Cash
    • Many don't know this isn't a love song. When Cash first got accepted to a record label, they didn't want another gospel singer because that's half of what there was back then; people singing the same hymns but different artist. Cash didn't want to just ignore his faith in his music, so he made a song with secret meanings for God. "Because you're mine, I walk the line," meaning "because I am a follower of Christ I keep myself together and behave."

Just a fun little topic I love discussing :):) 

Literally every twenty one pilots song! They use a ridiculous amount of Christian references in their music!! 

6 hours ago, Music_girl said:

Literally every twenty one pilots song! They use a ridiculous amount of Christian references in their music!! 

Except Stressed Out.

there is this song that name Hero by skillet. it is a non genra music but it contains a christian meaning.

On 10/12/2016 at 4:44 PM, Music_girl said:

But is it just biblical references, or is it biblical meanings honoring God. The Holy Bible is the most influential pieces of all time. There are so many figures of speech and even words that come from the bible. If it references the bible like calling a story a "David and Goliath" story or "fire and brimstone," or maybe even "til kingdom come," it can be just a metaphor or figure of speech, but not actually honoring God.

1 hour ago, Michi said:

there is this song that name Hero by skillet. it is a non genra music but it contains a christian meaning.

They are actually a Christian rock band. Like the song "Monster," the whole song is about fighting sin and temptation. 

Now this is MY interpretation of the song; nobody has ever told me the meanings, I just took into account they're a Christian band and looked into the lyrics and dissected them. I have the lyrics, then next to each line is the interpretation I have for that line or lines, indicating the separation of lyrics and meaning with a hyphen:

"The secret side of me, I never let you see  -  I seem like I have myself together, but it's not all perfect.
I keep it caged but I can't control it  -  I have the beast/temptation inside of me and keep it locked up, but even though it's locked up, the temptation still rages inside of me.
So stay away from me, the beast is ugly  -  When the beast does take over and win, I sin. But my sin effects those around me, not just myself.
I feel the rage and I just can't hold it  -  I can't control the beast, whether it be the sin or the temptation

"It's scratching on the walls, in the closet, in the halls  -  The monster is trying hard to get out; the temptation is trying to come out and make me sin, breaking down the walls of resisting temptation.
It comes awake and I can't control it  -  Once the temptation is over come, I can't hold back my sins
Hiding under the bed, in my body, in my head  -  You can't escape the temptations
Why won't somebody come and save me from this, make it end?  -  Begging God to get rid of the temptation, or maybe it could just be a desperate cry and plea of desperation

"I feel it deep within, it's just beneath the skin  -  Temptation is always inside if me trying to get out and control me
I must confess that I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins
I hate what I've become, the nightmare's just begun  -  The nightmare is sin controlling your life and not just a brief moment of giving in. And if you don't end it now, it's going to get worse and worse.
I must confess that I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins

"I, I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins
I, I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins

"My secret side I keep hid under lock and key  -  I try my best to bury the temptation so it can't escape and take over me.
I keep it caged but I can't control it  -  It's locked up, and the best I can do is bury it deep inside me, because it will always act up and try to run rampid
'Cause if I let him out he'll tear me up, break me down  -  Once the temptation and sin takes over, my life will go downhill fast
Why won't somebody come and save me from this, make it end?

"I feel it deep within, it's just beneath the skin
I must confess that I feel like a monster
I hate what I've become, the nightmare's just begun

I, I feel like a monster 
I, I feel like a monster 

"It's hiding in the dark, it's teeth are razor sharp  -  Sin and temptation is hiding everywhere that God's light isn't shining
There's no escape for me, it wants my soul, it wants my heart  -  Sin WANTS to take over and control you, Satan wants you to lose control. Sin will conquor more than just your behavior. It changes your heart and soul
No one can hear me scream, maybe it's just a dream  -  No PERSON can help you, nobody on Earth anyway.    ; ) 
Maybe it's inside of me, stop this monster  -  This is raging inside of me and I need to control the temptation. 

Everything below has already been explained, just the repeated choruses:

I've gotta lose control, here's something radical

"I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster"

1 minute ago, Colts_Fanatic said:

They are actually a Christian rock band. Like the song "Monster," the whole song is about fighting sin and temptation. 

Now this is MY interpretation of the song; nobody has ever told me the meanings, I just took into account they're a Christian band and looked into the lyrics and dissected them. I have the lyrics, then next to each line is the interpretation I have for that line or lines, indicating the separation of lyrics and meaning with a hyphen:

"The secret side of me, I never let you see  -  I seem like I have myself together, but it's not all perfect.
I keep it caged but I can't control it  -  I have the beast/temptation inside of me and keep it locked up, but even though it's locked up, the temptation still rages inside of me.
So stay away from me, the beast is ugly  -  When the beast does take over and win, I sin. But my sin effects those around me, not just myself.
I feel the rage and I just can't hold it  -  I can't control the beast, whether it be the sin or the temptation

"It's scratching on the walls, in the closet, in the halls  -  The monster is trying hard to get out; the temptation is trying to come out and make me sin, breaking down the walls of resisting temptation.
It comes awake and I can't control it  -  Once the temptation is over come, I can't hold back my sins
Hiding under the bed, in my body, in my head  -  You can't escape the temptations
Why won't somebody come and save me from this, make it end?  -  Begging God to get rid of the temptation, or maybe it could just be a desperate cry and plea of desperation

"I feel it deep within, it's just beneath the skin  -  Temptation is always inside if me trying to get out and control me
I hate what I've become, the nightmare's just begun  -  The nightmare is sin controlling your life and not just a brief moment of giving in. And if you don't end it now, it's going to get worse and worse.

"I, I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins
I, I feel like a monster  -  I feel the beast inside and I feel the condemnation for my wrongful doings/sins

"My secret side I keep hid under lock and key  -  I try my best to bury the temptation so it can't escape and take over me.
I keep it caged but I can't control it  -  It's locked up, and the best I can do is bury it deep inside me, because it will always act up and try to run rampid
'Cause if I let him out he'll tear me up, break me down  -  Once the temptation and sin takes over, my life will go downhill fast
Why won't somebody come and save me from this, make it end?

I, I feel like a monster 
I, I feel like a monster 

"It's hiding in the dark, it's teeth are razor sharp  -  Sin and temptation is hiding everywhere that God's light isn't shining
There's no escape for me, it wants my soul, it wants my heart  -  Sin WANTS to take over and control you, Satan wants you to lose control. Sin will conquor more than just your behavior. It changes your heart and soul
No one can hear me scream, maybe it's just a dream  -  No PERSON can help you, nobody on Earth anyway.    ; ) 
Maybe it's inside of me, stop this monster  -  This is raging inside of me and I need to control the temptation. 

Everything below has already been explained, just the repeated choruses:

I've gotta lose control, here's something radical

"I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster
I, I feel like a monster"

I heard this song before. And yeah there are christian rock bands

there is a song by this non-christian band called Starset and it sounds a lot like a christian song I love it. the song is called "my demons"

Mayday! Mayday!
The ship is slowly sinking
They think I'm crazy but they don't know the feeling
They're all around me,
Circling like vultures
They wanna break me and wash away my colors
Wash away my colors
Take me high and I'll sing
Oh you make everything okay (okay, okay)
We are one in the same
Oh you take all of the pain away (away, away)
Save me if I become
My demons
I cannot stop this sickness taking over
It takes control and drags me into nowhere
I need your help, I can't fight this forever
I know you're watching,
I can feel you out there
We are one in the same
Save me if I become
My demons
Take me over the walls below
Fly forever
Don't let me go
I need a savior to heal my pain
When I become my worst enemy
The enemy
you make everything okay
We are one in the same
you take all of the pain away
We are one in the same
Save me if I become
My demons
We are one in the same
Save me if I become
My demons