Sign in to follow this  
PlasmaHam

Right to Refuse Service

I am tired of hypocrites and Trump vs. Hillary, so seeing that the election is past, and that we are seeing a growth in activity as of late, it seems like a good time to visit some new debates.

Should American businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone? I'm guessing that y'all know about the Christian bakeries refusing service to gays, or vice versa. That is the primary reason for the debate, but I've decided to expand it to all situations. This is a very controversial topic, but it is also easy to understand arguments, so that is why I am starting with this. While moral/theological arguments about it are fine, I am more wanting to focus on the political,legal, and societal aspects of this issue.

That is all I am saying for now, I hope you understand what this is about, and I am welcome to all opinions. 

This is a picky topic.

In general, if you own a private business, whether someone likes it or not, you have the right to refuse service to anyone you wish. I don't think there should be legislature trying to prevent it, but generally, I would like to see a world where we didn't let our difference in backgrounds decide whether or not someone can have our service.

I do believe that, in general, businesses should be allowed to deny service for any reason, but that this right might on occasion be rightly suspended as a temporary measure to solve a vast discrimination emergency (e.g. if Asians couldn't possibly acquire affordable housing, or no hospitals in an area would provide their services to transgender people).

26 minutes ago, Nicene Nerd said:

I do believe that, in general, businesses should be allowed to deny service for any reason, but that this right might on occasion be rightly suspended as a temporary measure to solve a vast discrimination emergency (e.g. if Asians couldn't possibly acquire affordable housing, or no hospitals in an area would provide their services to transgender people).

this seems fair to me.

I think that if a Christian wants to deny service for a gay wedding, it's fine. But therefore a gay can be allowed to deny service for a Christian wedding. And I don't think it's okay for a Christian to deny service to a gay for any reason outside of that.

Should a hospital be allowed to refuse treatment to a kid in the emergency room because the administrator's wife cheated with the kid's father? No, any business should not be allowed to discriminate for just any reason. Some discrimination by some kinds of business are OK, others less so. 

I think discrimination becomes a legally actionable problem when prejudice is sufficiently widespread that discrimination systematically does grievous harm to a class of people. So, for example, I don't think homophobia is so catastrophic that it warrants abridging the religious liberties of bakers.  Gay couples don't really have any trouble getting cakes for their weddings, nor does this discrimination seem (from my limited perspective) to encourage any kind of really deep oppression. On the other hand, however, I would argue that racial discrimination has historically been deeply oppressive, that the oppression there did substantial harm to many millions of lives, and so it became a legally actionable problem.

Edited by Chris-M

13 minutes ago, Chris-M said:

Should a hospital be allowed to refuse treatment to a kid in the emergency room because the owner's wife cheated with the kid's father? No, any business should not be allowed to discriminate for just any reason.

I actually was kind of thinking certain places (like hospitals) should probably not be allowed to discriminate, period. But the rest of what you said more or less works for me.

On 11/10/2016 at 10:16 AM, Chris-M said:

Should a hospital be allowed to refuse treatment to a kid in the emergency room because the administrator's wife cheated with the kid's father? No, any business should not be allowed to discriminate for just any reason. Some discrimination by some kinds of business are OK, others less so. 

I think discrimination becomes a legally actionable problem when prejudice is sufficiently widespread that discrimination systematically does grievous harm to a class of people. So, for example, I don't think homophobia is so catastrophic that it warrants abridging the religious liberties of bakers.  Gay couples don't really have any trouble getting cakes for their weddings, nor does this discrimination seem (from my limited perspective) to encourage any kind of really deep oppression. On the other hand, however, I would argue that racial discrimination has historically been deeply oppressive, that the oppression there did substantial harm to many millions of lives, and so it became a legally actionable problem.

not be ALLOWED?  i think that a privately owned business should be allowed to be run however the owner of said business deems fit. the government has already overstepped the boundarys that where put in place by the founders of this country and i firmly believe that if the population thought that, for example, a store was being racist and sexist then they would stop going! a business has to have customers or it will go OUT of business. therefor that problem could be dealt with without the government interfering. throughout history the american people have PROVEN to be kindhearted and good. they have DONATED money to librarys and roads, instead of mandatory taxes. they volunteered and gave freely. being 30 and in your parents basement was unheard of because back then the government did NOT meddle (as much) and by that i mean they did not used to pay people for being lazy and not working, which is what they are doing now.   

to recap: the government should not get involved with private businesses, the populace can deal with it.