Nicene Nerd

The Millennium is here, and it will only get better until Christ returns.

I am actually amillennial, not postmillennial, but I am arguing for postmillennialism because

1) It's fun,

2) Postmillennialism is incredibly counterintuitive for most evangelical Protestants and many other Christian groups today, and

3) I think a decent case can be made for it even though I don't entirely agree.

So, I'm arguing here that the Millennial Reign of Christ (described in Revelation 20) actually began in the first century (either with the Ascension or Pentecost; I don't press on which), is not literally 1000 years but an indefinite span of time, continues to the present day, will continue to improve and Christianize the world, and will end when Jesus comes back to judge the living and the dead.

This is in contrast to the premillennial view that Jesus will return first and then set up a literal 1000 year Millennial Reign before final judgment and the new creation, and to the amillennial view that the Millennium was only ever symbolic of the new covenant age but will not necessarily lead to positive, Biblical transformation of all nations and peoples before Jesus returns.

Anyone want to take this on?

Never heard of this topic before, so I'll need to do a little research. Just from personal reading and typical teachings I am naturally leaning towards the Millennial Reign being an actual 1000 year future period. I'll get back to you on this, though I would be curious if you could explain a bit more of the postmillenialist position, because right now I have no idea.

I will say I don't see too much support for the "will continue to improve and Christianize the world" thing, but I guess there is an argument for it if you look at the bigger picture.

Edited by PlasmaHam

35 minutes ago, PlasmaHam said:

Just from personal reading and typical teachings I am naturally leaning towards the Millennial Reign being an actual 1000 year future period.

My instinct is to suggest this is simply because it has been the most popular eschatology in evangelicalism since the World Wars killed off a lot of postmil thought and Left Behind picked up the slack to fuel more premil thought.

38 minutes ago, PlasmaHam said:

I would be curious if you could explain a bit more of the postmillenialist position, because right now I have no idea.

In postmillennialism, the Kingdom of God was launched by Jesus and the Apostles and will continue to expand through the witness of the Church until it fills the whole world. They believe the Great Commission will actually succeed, the mission of the Church will convert all nations and peoples, and the prophecies from the Old Testament about all of the nations coming to worship Yahweh will be fulfilled, and then Christ will return. In the present, the Millennium, Christ reigns over His Church from heaven, and the world through His Church, but in the end He will turn over the Kingdom to the Father.

38 minutes ago, PlasmaHam said:

I will say I don't see too much support for the "will continue to improve and Christianize the world" thing, but I guess there is an argument for it if you look at the bigger picture.

I think there's actually a lot of empirical evidence that the world has improved substantially by Christian efforts since the Church launched. Christianity is also exploding in the Global South and the East, and even the forces which seek to replace and marginalize Christianity in the West are ultimately but perversions and confusions of basically Christian principles. Christianity may have a long way to go, but the progress so far makes it seem very possible that the actual Christianization of the world could take place in enough time.

I heard of this before. I am going to do more research on this. This topic seem very interesting.

I think the best straightfoward Biblical evidence for postmillennialism is found in Jesus' parables in Matthew 13:31-33.

He presented another parable to them: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It’s the smallest of all the seeds, but when grown, it’s taller than the vegetables and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the sky come and nest in its branches.”

He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into 50 pounds of flour until it spread through all of it.” 

The most self-evident reading of these parables would say that the Kingdom of God simply is going to grow and grow in one, unbroken, organic process until it indeed fills the entire world with its blessings. This fits postmillennialism well.

Well, they don't call use post-millennials, so...

Edited by Chris-M