Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

59 posts in this topic

well, honestly, considering this IS supposed to be a place of God, I cannot say I disagree entirely with Cary's point.

My main problem is the update still has flaws in need of a fix and generally some promotion could be done.

Guys stop looking past the major point. This isn't exclusively Cary's fault. Teenagers don't join forums anymore.  The way teenageers interact with the internet is fundamentally different than it was 10 years ago. This site, to truly be as sucessful as it was in the early 2000s, would have to change dramatically.

Back when this site was popular, we were many people's only form of "social networking" or at least their primary form. We can't be that anymore. We're not going to be able to steal people away from sites like snap chat, Instagram, omegle, tumblr, and face book. We could be in addition to those things, but we would have to offer a reason for teenagers to download  the app/visit the site. We would have to offer guidance, support, and theological orthodoxy to make this a place that set youth's hearts on fire for the Lord and continued to guide them closer to who God is calling them to be.

To build up that Godly support here, it would take a vision and the mindset to recruit people to work that also had that vision/life view.

As someone who worked on the inside of CTF for years, we need to admit that the leadership of old could never truly kept this place leading teens closer to Christ in 2017 internet culture. Most of the years of CTF has been the blind leading the blind. Some teenagers doing their best to police other teenagers, but once they get old enough they burn out or pass the torch to an untested successor. Teenagers are a wonderful, powerful, and exciting for in this world, but with no vision, guidance, or training you can only get so far.

I think there are ways to create a verson of CTF that would be interesting to today's youth and helpful to protect them from the darker parts of the internet, but to pretend that all you need to do is fix bugs and put some ads out there is a hair naive.

Edited by Zabby

18 hours ago, Zabby said:

Guys stop looking past the major point. This isn't exclusively Cary's fault. Teenagers don't join forums anymore.  The way teenageers interact with the internet is fundamentally different than it was 10 years ago. This site, to truly be as sucessful as it was in the early 2000s, would have to change dramatically.

Back when this site was popular, we were many people's only form of "social networking" or at least their primary form. We can't be that anymore. We're not going to be able to steal people away from sites like snap chat, Instagram, omegle, tumblr, and face book. We could be in addition to those things, but we would have to offer a reason for teenagers to download  the app/visit the site. We would have to offer guidance, support, and theological orthodoxy to make this a place that set youth's hearts on fire for the Lord and continued to guide them closer to who God is calling them to be.

To build up that Godly support here, it would take a vision and the mindset to recruit people to work that also had that vision/life view.

As someone who worked on the inside of CTF for years, we need to admit that the leadership of old could never truly kept this place leading teens closer to Christ in 2017 internet culture. Most of the years of CTF has been the blind leading the blind. Some teenagers doing their best to police other teenagers, but once they get old enough they burn out or pass the torch to an untested successor. Teenagers are a wonderful, powerful, and exciting for in this world, but with no vision, guidance, or training you can only get so far.

I think there are ways to create a verson of CTF that would be interesting to today's youth and helpful to protect them from the darker parts of the internet, but to pretend that all you need to do is fix bugs and put some ads out there is a hair naive.

Nailed it. This place just it's attractive to modern teens, because teens change and this place didn't. 

It'll take much more than bug fixes and advertisements to get this place going again, probably more like a complete renovation/ transformation

Popping in again, not much activity here nowadays, but I just wanted to add a few things.

First of all, yes, the internet community has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Back then, small independent forums were the only established places for people to talk. Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit were either non-existent, or were in their infancy stages. But since then sites like Facebook have come to dominate internet talk, negatively affecting  smaller sites. However sites like this have survived, some have even thrived, but that is because they have adapted. CTF has failed to adapt, and thus it is stuck in a decaying state until something is done, or all the members leave.

Here is my suggestion to y'all. If you want a site where you can do things your way, then CTF is not the site for you. It is obvious that Cary is not changing anything. I would suggest y'all leave CTF, and establish your own community elsewhere. There are various free forum hosting sites on the web, PHPbb and Proboards are two that I already know of. They are fairly simplistic forums, but would give y'all the power and independence to make changes without Cary getting in the way. While I know some of you are attached to the site here, you must realize that if you want this community of people to continue and grow, then you will need to separate yourself from this site.  

PlasmaHam, most of us long time members complaining about this stuff do not want to start a new forum or anything like that. Personally I'm just sad to see a place I invested so much time and energy into looking like this. Like going through the neighborhood you grew up in and finding the playground equipment in the local park is deteriorating. I'm nostalgic, and believe this website is capable of good if given the right chance, but I don't actually want CTF to be run my way nor do I have the desire to social network on here. I just want it to exist and be functional for others and to feel like my efforts running this forum for however many years I did (feel like it was 3ish) were not a waste.

A more aft comparison is that CTF is like walking through the neighborhood you grew up in after it got hit by a nuclear bomb. It ain't no coming back from that, and if you insist on staying in that neighborhood, you are just going to succumb to radiation sickness and die. 

CTF is obviously on an irreversible death spiral. To deny that is just blind optimism. Your complaints here are obviously not doing anything. CTF right now is doing very little good. Much more good can be done on a forum that actually works, move on to better pastures. The CTF community does not need to be based on an internet server "ran" by Cary, that's like saying a church community is bound by a certain building. The spirit and heart of CTF can continue elsewhere, but not here. Right now you are on a sinking ship, but there are plenty of lifeboat's around, you just have to take one.

I agree with Zabby's posts.

CTF has a very rich and interesting history and some of us have been on the site for years. It would be great if it became as active as it used to, but regardless of any of Cary's actions or inactions online forums everywhere are dying out. Almost every other forum I used to post on has died.  If anything Sunny Jo should probably receive more blame; the forum going down for weeks and months at a time is never good for new or more casual members. 

On 2017-6-17 at 2:36 PM, PlasmaHam said:

A more aft comparison is that CTF is like walking through the neighborhood you grew up in after it got hit by a nuclear bomb. It ain't no coming back from that, and if you insist on staying in that neighborhood, you are just going to succumb to radiation sickness and die. 

CTF is obviously on an irreversible death spiral. To deny that is just blind optimism. Your complaints here are obviously not doing anything. CTF right now is doing very little good. Much more good can be done on a forum that actually works, move on to better pastures. The CTF community does not need to be based on an internet server "ran" by Cary, that's like saying a church community is bound by a certain building. The spirit and heart of CTF can continue elsewhere, but not here. Right now you are on a sinking ship, but there are plenty of lifeboat's around, you just have to take one.

There are still other forums out there, but people are nostalgic/want CTF to be active.

On 6/22/2017 at 3:48 PM, Yoda said:

I agree with Zabby's posts.

CTF has a very rich and interesting history and some of us have been on the site for years. It would be great if it became as active as it used to, but regardless of any of Cary's actions or inactions online forums everywhere are dying out. Almost every other forum I used to post on has died.  If anything Sunny Jo should probably receive more blame; the forum going down for weeks and months at a time is never good for new or more casual members. 

Have you considered upgrading it to the latest version of IPB? Maybe that might spark up some activity.