Getting Catcalled

MandySCOtt

I know that people experience this kind of negative attention form guys, at some point?

1. But has anyone here been catcalled? What are the things a guy has said to you that was severely uncomfortable? (personal experience)

2. Why do you think guys "catcall"?

Edited by MandySCOtt

Oh sure. Never anything particularly vulgar but I've gotten "Pull up that skirt for me baby girl" and "You got a great a** honey!" a few times. Mostly it's stuff like "Hey gorgeous come on over here!" or "Lookin fine, lady!". I also get comments on my legs a lot for some reason.It's aggravating and a huge turn off (I mean seriously, is catcalling ever successful for the guy? idk) but honestly I mostly ignore it if they're a little distance away from me. I've had a couple instances where a guy has reached out and grabbed my arm somewhere and THAT freaks me out. 

My bigger pet peeve is being out someplace and having a guy show up who WILL NOT leave me alone until I break out the now cliche "I have a boyfriend." Which of course I don't but apparently my "No." isn't enough.  And don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to talk to guys in bars and whatnot a lot of the time but some people. Eck.  

Yes, yes I have. Some of it has been vulgar, most of it has been from guys who could be my grandpa. Some of it has been just plain creeping.

I've heard the "hey gorgeous!" and stereotypical wolf whistle.  I've had old guys come up and touch my lower back while i'm doing something for them, making keys, stocking a shelf, etc at work. I've caught multiple dudes mid-ogle. A friend and I were walking in the city and nearly caused two accidents. One car slowed down to stare at us while the guy in the back hung his head out the window and whipped it around to look at us. Five minutes later another car nearly jumped the curb because the driver was staring so hard. XD

I've had two short dudes "corner" me while one spoke broken English and the other stared at my butt. 

The creepiest encounters were:
Le me: -on knees to stock something low because squatting is a nuisance-
Old Fart: Hey, next time you're down on your knees, let me know first okay?

Me: "Hey, can I help you find anything?"
Creep: "No... Becky, I just want to look at you for awhile...-proceeds to undress me using his eyes.-
Me: uhhh.. k bye! 

Old guy: "What? you walk backwards to grab that? Come on, you're taking all the fun out of this!"
:S

And this is mostly working retail. I don't hang around bars, typically. Not my scene. When I get catcalled, I take it as a compliment, and then ignore the guy because he's scum. He's got nice taste, but he's scum. :P  Also, I find it amusing that  I'm not the "it" type. I've always been 20-40lbs too heavy, my thighs love each other too much to have a thigh gap and my belly is definitely there. Still get cat called. apparently the media never talks to actual men. XD 

Oh and one time I caught guys at college creeping. There was one of those "lets wear club clothes to community college!" types, and theretheres me in skinny jeans, combat boots and a puffy jacket. Who got more attention? Me, the attention seeker was ignored. XD  

I'm not sure why they do it. Too much testoterone? It worked for their friend?  Because someone told them it works? It hides their insecurities? I dunno. If someone used a cheesy pickup line on me, they'd get a short conversation. Cat calling gets ignored.  Or the finger.  Depends on the caller. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten the stereotypical whistle, I've been told I'm, "Da** hot", been told, "I look magnificent on this fine evening" and many many more. Not to mention the guys you can just feel checking you out when you don't even look at them while you're walking past(which is most of the time creepy 30+ year olds, and I'm only 17).

There are several reasons that men do this:

1. They lack self-esteem and don't have the courage to approach you one on one. They want your attention, and negative attention is still attention. 

2. They lack social skills and don't understand what is appropriate. They may honestly think that they are paying you a compliment. I see this at work all the time. I work with sexual offenders and sometimes they are limited in their cognitive functioning, and honestly didn't know where the line was when they crossed it. 

3. They are narcissistic and believe that they are God's gift to women. In their minds you should be thankful that they are giving you attention at all. 

I've been on the receiving end of catcalls a few times. I'm good at having a quick response that prevents anyone from thinking they can disrespect me again. 

"hey chica, nice *insert body part here*!" 

"Hi there. Nothing turns me on more than being treated like an object. You are such a charmer. I'm gonna leave my business card right here. I work with perverts like you for a living to help them learn appropriate social skills, and how to interact with women in a respectful manner. Set up an appointment sometime. I can help." *all said in my most sultry voice* 

On 12/23/2016 at 8:32 AM, noelKt5 said:

1. They lack self-esteem and don't have the courage to approach you one on one. They want your attention, and negative attention is still attention. 

2. They lack social skills and don't understand what is appropriate. They may honestly think that they are paying you a compliment. I see this at work all the time. I work with sexual offenders and sometimes they are limited in their cognitive functioning, and honestly didn't know where the line was when they crossed it. 

3. They are narcissistic and believe that they are God's gift to women. In their minds you should be thankful that they are giving you attention at all. 

I've been on the receiving end of catcalls a few times. I'm good at having a quick response that prevents anyone from thinking they can disrespect me again. 

"Hi there. Nothing turns me on more than being treated like an object. You are such a charmer. I'm gonna leave my business card right here. I work with perverts like you for a living to help them learn appropriate social skills, and how to interact with women in a respectful manner. Set up an appointment sometime. I can help." *all said in my most sultry voice* 

You're my favorite. <3

On 12/23/2016 at 8:32 AM, noelKt5 said:

-claps- well said. I totally like what you said.

• 1 month later...

I haven't really been profoundly catcalled as some speak here. One time I was at a sandwich shop with a friend and a guy in a shirt whistled and hollered looking at me, and my friend gave him a look of DEATH. She was gonna whoop his butt, but thought it was hilarious also. I felt kinda humiliated.

this pimp obviously thought he was a gift. I say pimp cuz he was a white guy wearing bling and baggy clothes trying too hard to look gangster.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:14 PM, Jesusismyticket said:

I haven't really been profoundly catcalled as some speak here. One time I was at a sandwich shop with a friend and a guy in a shirt whistled and hollered looking at me, and my friend gave him a look of DEATH. She was gonna whoop his butt, but thought it was hilarious also. I felt kinda humiliated.

this pimp obviously thought he was a gift. I say pimp cuz he was a white guy wearing bling and baggy clothes trying too hard to look gangster.

Hahaha! 

I like giving them the glasses bird. 

Oh jeez! you had one of those? I usually get old coots and like 17 year old boys. I'll pass on both, thanks.