Sir Will

Question of Religious Matters: Several Faiths?

Hello! I myself am very curious about a certain thing, I myself am a Protestant Christian, and have little to no doubt in my faith, but I was wondering... Is it possible to follow ANOTHER faith at the same time? Like let's say... Christianity and the teachings of Confucius, or maybe Christianity and Taoism. The Ten Commandments strictly says that 'Thou shalt not worship other Gods' or a similar portrayed message, prohibiting the worship of gods and idols that are not the Lord himself. Does this mean that you could believe in another religion, as long as that religion does not require you to believe in a god, or a set of idols/gods? Opinions!

I suppose my initial question is this: what teachings of these other religions do you find attractive that are not in some way paralleled or contained in Christianity itself?

Well, Nicene, I myself do not have much in the way of attraction to other faiths, though I do intend to research other faiths for educational purposes. I was simply asking, is it possible to also identify with another group of philosophy or religion, seperate from Christianity if one felt they wanted to, as long as it does not contradict the Bible, or violate any laws like the Ten Commandments? Ex. Worshiping other Gods.

This is a tricky sorta question, though I do agree with Nicene Nerd on this. What exactly do you find attractive in other religions that isn't so in Christianity? That would really help me understand your question better. 

Hmm, well, to put it better, is there any strict limitations in the Bible that does not allow you to have more than one religion than Christianity? I myself am not too interested in other religions, but I am curious to how others may, or may not, be able to be Christians, and also be like a Bhuddist Monk or something, is this possible? As a Protestant, I am fairly sure one only needs to believe and love Jesus Christ, and they can believe whatever they like. Is this different with Catholics or Orthodox Christians, perhaps having stricter limitations on non-Christian beliefs?

It's possible to call yourself a Christian, a Buddhist, an Islam, an agnostic, and an atheist simultaneously, but that does not mean it is true, or that you practice any or all of what you claim to believe. 

Just how knowing how to fill your car's gas tank doesn't make you a mechanic, being partially in line with some religions with your beliefs doesn't mean you're a member of that religion or believe in it. For example I believe in the Trinity, as do Mormons- but that doesn't make me a Mormon. I think my point with this is that you shouldn't and can't go from religion to religion, or belief system to belief system just because some of your beliefs are similar.

I would recommend to commit yourself to Christianity and not shift or pick between other beliefs depending on your mood, or if you like their belief system. The Bible tells us not to be two faced, or be like shaft in the wind, changing at any gust or whim. 

On 12/19/2016 at 9:14 PM, Sir Will said:

As a Protestant, I am fairly sure one only needs to believe and love Jesus Christ, and they can believe whatever they like. 

In John 14:15 Jesus says that "If you love me you will obey my commandments." God tells us to have no other gods before Him, He also tells us to set aside whatever in our lives which may be separating us from Him. I would definitely consider believing in another religion as something which would separate us from God- at very least by taking time away which we could be spending with Him. Also in First Corinthians 10:31 we're instructed to have all that we do be for the glory of God; I also wouldn't consider following another religion as something that brings God glory. 

I'd also encourage you to do your own research, because I'm pretty certain that there is more to the Protestant belief system than simply believing and loving Jesus- and I know that there's more to the Gospel than just that. If you're not sure you're familiar with the Gospel feel free to ask :) 

In your first post you mention that you have little to no doubt in your faith, so I'm curious why you are so curious and interested in believing on another religion? To me it sounds vaguely like parents who want you to be Protestant, and you wanting to be something else. Please don't take offense if I'm off- that's just a guess, you could be 30 or 40 years old and long since  moved away from your parents for all I know. Don't get me wrong- we're instructed to question everything- but I still find it curious that you claim to be sturdy in faith- yet want to know so much about being on the edge with another religion. The fence is the devil's, don't get comfortable there- or even start checking it out.

Very good points indeed. I will expand on my points and then explain why I am so interested.

My point being, could one believe in something like the spiritual nature of Buddhism, but not the divinity in their religion? As in to put Christ as your first and only messiah and God, and all other beliefs as just that, mortal beliefs, secondary beliefs? 

I personally know, and have always been told, the one and only way to eternal life is through Jesus Christ, though it may differ slightly what else is required in other faiths, ex. Catholic, Orthodox, etc. Of course there are other things that may improve your 'riches in heaven' and your general moral compass, I think, but generally the one and only way is through Jesus Christ. The reason I ask these questions and am so curious, is not because of my personal faith, but because I am interested in all literature and history, like a professor or theologian, going and looking through all different faiths and researching new things, to broaden my understanding of non-Christian religions, as to better my relations with those types of people, and further my general knowledge, and also simply due to my interest in the supernatural.