PlasmaHam

Sola Scriptura

So, I was having a discussion with a very orthodox Catholic friend of mine, and it involved the legitimacy of following the idea of Sola Scriptura. He claimed that without some sort of appointed authority to define and make new doctrine, problems that the Bible never directly addressed like abortion and trans-genderism, would have no Christian doctrine to go against it.

Here is the quote directly in his words if you like

The problem with sola scriptura, like all forms of logical positivism, is that it is a way of trying to ignore metaphysical priors, which leads to incoherence since they can't actually be gotten rid of. On the doctrinal level, abolition of ecclesiastical authority meant that no one could definitively say "XYZ is out of bounds". 

I find this to be a flimsy excuse, basically saying that people can't use common sense and the Bible to determine morality, but the guy does defend his argument well. I was wondering your opinion on this and how you would defend Sola Scriptura or if you believe the guy is totally right and his argument is flawless.

The Bible does cover topics such as abortion and transgenderism, even if those words aren't explicitly used. Here's a few verses about abortion, and a few more about homosexuality- which I would consider in the same category as transgenderism. Not all those are super relevant- but there's enough good ones in the mix to prove the points. My point is that modern issues are actually covered in the Bible if you just dig a little deeper.

I'm no expert in Sola Scriptura, but I'm pretty sure that it basically states that the Bible (Scripture) is the only place where you should base you faith/ beliefs, and that if you find yourself believing in something that contradicts scripture, then you're out of line. Correct me if I'm wrong on that- because like I said I don't know too much about it. 

And wow that's one grandiloquent quote :P

23 hours ago, PlasmaHam said:

So, I was having a discussion with a very orthodox Catholic friend of mine, and it involved the legitimacy of following the idea of Sola Scriptura. He claimed that without some sort of appointed authority to define and make new doctrine, problems that the Bible never directly addressed like abortion and trans-genderism, would have no Christian doctrine to go against it.

Here is the quote directly in his words if you like

I find this to be a flimsy excuse, basically saying that people can't use common sense and the Bible to determine morality, but the guy does defend his argument well. I was wondering your opinion on this and how you would defend Sola Scriptura or if you believe the guy is totally right and his argument is flawless.

The Bible condemns murder and also says multiple times that life begins before birth. For instance John the Baptist "leapt" in Elizabeth's womb. In regards to trans-genderism, you can't expect an outright passage as people back then were well above that sort of silliness. But the Bible does condemn homosexuality.  

The problem with the mindset "We need an appointed authority to understand the Bible and make doctrines" is that it only pushes back the problem, and doesn't really solve anything. 

How do we know the Catholic Church is divinely appointed? Because it says it is, and maybe a few dubiously applied Bible passages?  And if we can't understand the Bible without a divine authority, can we also then understand the statements of the divine authority without assistance? 

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

The Bible condemns murder and also says multiple times that life begins before birth. For instance John the Baptist "leapt" in Elizabeth's womb. In regards to trans-genderism, you can't expect an outright passage as people back then were well above that sort of silliness. But the Bible does condemn homosexuality.  

The problem with the mindset "We need an appointed authority to understand the Bible and make doctrines" is that it only pushes back the problem, and doesn't really solve anything. 

How do we know the Catholic Church is divinely appointed? Because it says it is, and maybe a few dubiously applied Bible passages?  And if we can't understand the Bible without a divine authority, can we also then understand the statements of the divine authority without assistance? 

I think that this article would be a good explanation: http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/how-do-we-know-it’s-the-true-church

From experience, I believe that sola scriptura causes problems, from minor to major, along with the other solas. Not to mention the Catholic church is the original church, even before it was known by name, even before the orthodox and Lutheran splits.