Echo12

Unsettled thinking about eternity

Hey all,

My name is Reed and I'm 17. I've been a devout Christian my whole life, and when I was little (probably around 6 or so) I went through a short phase of being scared of the idea of eternity in Heaven. Recently, this thought has resurfaced in my mind and I'm really seeking some advice. I think it's weird saying something like "I'm scared of eternity in Heaven" because hey, it's Heaven, why should I be scared? But something about the fact that it will go on without end frightens me. Everything ends, classes at school, days, years, and our physical life. It probably has to do with the fact that our brains can't fully comprehend the true gist of eternity, but it really scares me sometimes. Just something going on without end... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, Echo12 said:

Hey all,

My name is Reed and I'm 17. I've been a devout Christian my whole life, and when I was little (probably around 6 or so) I went through a short phase of being scared of the idea of eternity in Heaven. Recently, this thought has resurfaced in my mind and I'm really seeking some advice. I think it's weird saying something like "I'm scared of eternity in Heaven" because hey, it's Heaven, why should I be scared? But something about the fact that it will go on without end frightens me. Everything ends, classes at school, days, years, and our physical life. It probably has to do with the fact that our brains can't fully comprehend the true gist of eternity, but it really scares me sometimes. Just something going on without end... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I been there before. I use to be scared of enternal life being in hell and heaven. Yeah it is scary but there you shouldn't be afraid of it bc you have to know where you going. IF you know that you are going to hell is something scary. But being scared of being in Heaven for eternity is something good. It is a blessing and it is something beautiful.

How wonderful it is we serve a God that we can't comprehend.

Eternity is daunting. I think that anyone who is totally comfortable with the idea is either lying or on something. But what I choose to see is that when we get to Heaven, we'll be too busy being with God that we won't have time to be concerned about eternity. Yeah, I don't understand eternity. I've only ever lived in a plain of existence that is bound by the construct of time. But as long as I remember that living forever isn't the point of Heaven (God is) then I usually end up at a peaceful point.

Michi thanks for that point: it really is a blessing that my biggest fear is being eternally fulfilled! I never really thought of it that way. 

T.O.W.R. that means a lot! Heaven will be all about BEING TOGETHER WITH GOD for eternity. The important part is being with Him, and I shouldn't need to fear. Obviously I'm sure I won't feel this fear when I get there! You guys have really helped settle some things for me, thank you. 

7 hours ago, Echo12 said:

Michi thanks for that point: it really is a blessing that my biggest fear is being eternally fulfilled! I never really thought of it that way. 

you are totally welcome!

This is something I found unsettling, overwhelming, and even depressing when I was young too. I always found it mind-boggling how God could have always existed and never had a beginning. It's not that I didn't believe I just found and still find it hard to wrap my mind around. But I think part of the problem with difficultly understanding there never being an ending to eternal life is the way we talk about. Like the term "eternity", though technically true, I find unsettling because of often incorrect ideas that go along with it. "Eternal life" seems to bring a more accurate picture. There will be seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, seasons, years, decades, centuries, millenniums, etc. on the New Earth ("Heaven") it's just they will never end. I find it's easier to think of it as measurements of time, for example years, that will never end as opposed to a huge, unspecified block of endless time. I've found there were a lot of incorrect ideas I was taught both explicitly and implicitly about "Heaven" or as I'd now specify the Intermediate Heaven and New Earth. A really great book on the subject I'd suggest to anyone who's struggled with this, wondered about this, or really any Christian of any stripe is Heaven by Randy Alcorn.

I hope you find this encouraging, Echo12!

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

Wow, ComedyMusicHistory, that's quite eye-opening. In my head I think I clumped eternal life just into a blended span of endless time. I didn't really consider the fact that those spans of time (days, years, etc) would still play out. I'll definitely check out that book, thanks for the recommendation!

i have a question... if you dont mind me asking. what do you see heaven as? and not just for echo, but for everyone on this posting. like, do you think heaven and hell are seperate from one another, like floors on a building? and will everyone who goes to heaven be equally blessed or will saints and theologians have "v.i.p" rights or something. i would love to hear your thoughts.

Heaven: Streets of gold, angels, light of glory, etc.

New Earth: Like old Earth but nothing deteriorates, a continuation of life in general, just sinless and without end. Heaven comes down and lands on Earth and we get a do-over.  I've heard speculation that we will still know each other, can interact with our surroundings and society will exist. Nothing is mentioned about the heavens being destroyed, so the possibility for space travel/study and endless book reading is feasible.  There are verses about us ruling and reigning with Christ and there are millions of galaxies we've yet to explore. 
The nerd in me is most pleased with this.

Those who have done more for God's glory get a bigger reward to place at Jesus feet (crowns and such, it's been a long time since I read Revelation), but saints with a VIP? I'm leaning towards no, as some denominations consider all Christians as saints.  

People speculate that hell is located under the Earth's crust.  There's that one story about the young man and Lazarus in which depicted Heaven and Hell as being separate, and an Angel talks to the guy in hell, but Lazarus is unaware of the rich man's predicament. It would seem that you can see Heaven from Hell, but not the other way around. I guess separate floors separated by a one way mirror is a good way to explain it. 

yeah, but a lot of stuff in the bible is metaphoric, for example saying "streets of gold" could just mean that everyone is so happy that you can pave the streets with happyness. i.e gold. if everyone was happy and content, why would we be having innovations? i mean, you could argue that our society is based off of the fact that people want things, happyness, wealth, a position of power, to be respected and so forth, therefor what is the point of having a "new earth" the bible says that the earth is not perfect, and neither are we, so why have another "earth?" we cant really understand it because we have never known anything but our existence here on earth and therefore see anything that does not contain the simple things of life that we love so much (i.e a relationship, the joy of discovering something new) as something totally boring and dull.  

what do you think?