T.O.W.R.

A letter to you new members

Hey all you crazy kids. My name is T.K.. I've been a member of CTF for 5 years. I've been a staff member, a councilor (back when we had those), a frequent forum game poster, a role player, a fairly prominent member for the last few years, and now a member who only logs on once every now and then. This isn't anything special, just the ramblings of a member who wishes he read something like this when he joined.

I'd like to start by saying by saying that CTF isn't some miraculous answer to your problems. Many a member has joined and quickly left the forum because they thought they'd meet their new best friend who would somehow cure their loneliness, or some wise, sagely character will give you the answer to solving your anxiety, or easing your doubts about Christianity, stopping you from returning to the same old sins. This forum isn't a substitute for God. It isn't a free therapy website. It isn't your pastor, your parents, or your personal diary. It's simply a web forum. Now I'm not saying that you won't find some answers here, or a maybe a new friend, but these things take time and patience. Even when you get good advice on here, please hold it to scrutiny. Take time to really consider the advice given on the forum. None of us here are pastors. 

You'll notice that CTF isn't very busy. It's not and it hasn't been for a long time. Even when I joined 5 years ago, it wasn't near as eventful as it was in its prime. Most of the active members now are just old members who usually just get on when they're bored. That's not to say that it couldn't get better, but it's just not likely. I've watched as this place has decreased in web traffic steadily since I joined. If you're looking for a place to spend a lot of time, I'm afraid you'll find yourself even more bored to begin with.

Dont get upset when you don't make best friends super quickly. I didn't really start talking to other members until my 3rd year on the forum. If you want to make lasting friendships, you'll have to wait it out like you would in any other type of setting. 

Dont take things personally. This is how you cause drama. And yes, it's just as stupid, childish, and petty as it is in the real world. Maybe worse. Some people are just jerks, some people just say what they mean, most of us here are just adults who really don't take the time to make sure our wording isn't "too offensive" because to us, it's just how we talk in the real adult world. It's just words, you'll be fine.

Do not be surprised when you see people of different political opinions on here. Or when you find gay people on here, heck we had a transgender guy on here for awhile. He was a really cool guy. We've had a couple Wiccan members and even a satanist at one point. I'm not saying that you have to be all open armed and accepting, but be civil. Be kind.

I want you new members to enjoy your time here. If it's for a few weeks or a few years, CTF can be a cool place. Just don't get angry when it's not.

You should also be more welcoming.

Plus we don't really have a lot of oddities now, as far as membership is concerned. 

On January 7, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Yoda said:

You should also be more welcoming.

Plus we don't really have a lot of oddities now, as far as membership is concerned. 

ahem -.^

Edited by Josh (J)

Thanks for the welcome, T.K.

I see what you mean about lack of members, but that's alright. I've got other forums where I can go to for the community side of things. The few people I have met here are all really nice, and I believe that I'm already making a few friends. :)

I am fairly new myself and I am very passionately wanting to stay, I am interesting and intrigued by this site where all can be heard. Jesus was a fan of small groups and crowds, not large stadiums of people, he liked having a few close friends who he could rely on, at least that is what it seems to spread the message of... I am much the same, and I enjoy the lack of activity on here, maybe a tiny bit more might be nice, but then again, my own posts and the ones I want to read, would be harder to find among the things you don't have time or passion to read... I am intrigued, and I'll give it several months before I decide I am finding nothing here and it's a waste of time. I expect to find maybe a couple friends, some people to occasionally commune with maybe, and that's about it, close friends, after long periods of time, maybe I will, maybe I wont, I will confidently follow your advice of being patient. Thank you.