CalwaOlor

MCR And Why They're Considered "Evil"

So, I figured I'd ask here as this is a question that I've been wondering about ever since I started listening to the band.

My Chemical Romance (MCR) have been called "evil" and "satanic", among other things, and have been blamed for the suicides of teenagers. Now, I get that their songs aren't always the most cheery, and some deal with much darker themes, but they've never come across to me as "satanic". I've personally found some of their lyrics to be very inspiring, such as this part from Welcome To The Black Parade:

"Do or die, you'll never make me
Because the world will never take my heart
Go and try, you'll never break me"

I won't go into too much detail in this first post, since I don't know if anyone here has even heard about MCR. I'd really like to hear some opinions, though.

It's not 2008 anymore, take your eyeliner off, dye your hair something not black and red and listen to something else. :P 

I associate MCR with the Emo trend that took off in my highschool years. I know not much about them other than they're emo, there's obnoxious screaming and their typical fans look like goths crossed with Lisa Frank.

Maybe I live under a rock, but I've never heard MCR called satanic before. Emo or scene? Yes. Evil? Not so much.

On 1/22/2017 at 6:33 PM, Marcel Lefebvre said:

"I don't know if anyone here has even heard about MCR."

We're Christians, not desert nomads.

I've met quite a lot of people who haven't heard of MCR, in my life. Both Christian and non-religious. :)

On 1/22/2017 at 8:11 PM, Boogles said:

It's not 2008 anymore, take your eyeliner off, dye your hair something not black and red and listen to something else. :P 

I associate MCR with the Emo trend that took off in my highschool years. I know not much about them other than they're emo, there's obnoxious screaming and their typical fans look like goths crossed with Lisa Frank.

I'm honestly getting my hair dyed for the first time this weekend (purple). I'm pretty darn excited. And anyway, when has the year ever mattered to me? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me to get rid of my circle skirts and stop listening to Dion. :D But yeah, in general, I'm most certainly not very emo at all.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:39 PM, She-geek said:

Maybe I live under a rock, but I've never heard MCR called satanic before. Emo or scene? Yes. Evil? Not so much.

Well, obviously not everyone shares the same views. I've just heard it in a few different places, hence why I decided to ask here on the forums.

Well, thanks for everyone's replies. :)

10 hours ago, CalwaOlor said:

I'm honestly getting my hair dyed for the first time this weekend (purple). I'm pretty darn excited. And anyway, when has the year ever mattered to me? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me to get rid of my circle skirts and stop listening to Dion. :D But yeah, in general, I'm most certainly not very emo at all.

I strongly associate MCR with 2008 and emos because that WAS a thing. many of my highschool buds were emos. It's the mental image I get when MCR is mentioned.

Circle skirts are super fly. 

On 1/25/2017 at 9:00 PM, Boogles said:

I strongly associate MCR with 2008 and emos because that WAS a thing. many of my highschool buds were emos. It's the mental image I get when MCR is mentioned.

Circle skirts are super fly. 

I get the thing about emos. I mean, that is what it was. One of the "Emo Trinity".

And circle skirts are pretty great, aren't they? They honestly make you feel super classy. Like, just today I was vaccuming the house while wearing my skirt and crinoline, and I was feeling lovely as can be.