VisionaryHeathen

Does God have limits?

Hello people! a thought just came to mind, has anyone wondered how far God's power can actually reach? I have a little hypothesis of my own including the very first lines of the bible which are;

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Now then, is there an issue here? I believe that there is, it is quite astounding how an all powerful being possesed such power since the very beggining isn't it? Also remember God possesed the power to create and give the earth "form" but that's not evn the biggest part here, besides looking at all he did from the very start you need to remember that;

1. He was self aware of his own existence which would mean he has some coordination as well as having the current power he possesed.

2. He already knew by definition what light and darkness was as well as already having a moral concept or "consciousness"

3. It also says that he was a spirit which by our definition is the non-physical part of a person or being, so does that mean he had a body?

Also want to include another important part;

" And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done"

So does this suggest limitations?, the fact that he might have become tired from what he had created?  

7 hours ago, VisionaryHeathen said:

1. He was self aware of his own existence which would mean he has some coordination as well as having the current power he possesed.

I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here.

2. He already knew by definition what light and darkness was as well as already having a moral concept or "consciousness"

Wouldn't it make more sense to suggest that God Himself chose to define and create light and darkness, and in fact attributes to them "goodness" only in relation to His own creative design?

3. It also says that he was a spirit which by our definition is the non-physical part of a person or being, so does that mean he had a body?

I'm not sure where your definition of "spirit" comes from. While spirit does refer to something non-physical, it does not have to be part of or connected to anything else. In calling God "spirit," we are essentially saying nothing else than that He is beyond physicality altogether. He is immaterial, intangible, not made of anything. He is simple Spirit, without body, parts, or passions.

Also want to include another important part;

" And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done"

So does this suggest limitations?, the fact that he might have become tired from what he had created?  

The rest of God should be taken along with the temple theme of Genesis. The six-day structure is designed to mirror temple construction, so as to say, "God made the cosmos to be His temple." The seventh day is thus the time of completion when the temple is finished, no more work is necessary, and God can take up dwelling in His temple. The point is not rest from exhaustion but that the work is complete and the temple is suited for God's inhabitance.

21 hours ago, Nicene Nerd said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to suggest that God Himself chose to define and create light and darkness, and in fact attributes to them "goodness" only in relation to His own creative design?

I'm not sure where your definition of "spirit" comes from. While spirit does refer to something non-physical, it does not have to be part of or connected to anything else. In calling God "spirit," we are essentially saying nothing else than that He is beyond physicality altogether. He is immaterial, intangible, not made of anything. He is simple Spirit, without body, parts, or passions.

The rest of God should be taken along with the temple theme of Genesis. The six-day structure is designed to mirror temple construction, so as to say, "God made the cosmos to be His temple." The seventh day is thus the time of completion when the temple is finished, no more work is necessary, and God can take up dwelling in His temple. The point is not rest from exhaustion but that the work is complete and the temple is suited for God's inhabitance.

you went straight to the point. I agree with you on everything you said.

On 08/02/2017 at 6:43 PM, Nicene Nerd said:

It's quite amazing how you seem like you almost know God, but I appreciate your theory/belief, you say you do not understand number 2?, I was implying that for a being to create he need's a mind, or at least a plan correct?, therefore he had a memory and he was aware of what he was doing from the very start correct?, and he managed to write down all 7 days, well we did from the word of god, but did we literally hear him or did we just think it up?, see this is the issue here, you say god is an all powerful being which had a plan from the very start and can do anything yet there is no real explanation for it, well none that I have found, only more ideas, that was the whole point, an idea, a plan to create, change and become, that's what god did right?, he is everything and everywhere, but is that literal or a metaphor or just poetry?, thing id I believe if god did exist then he would need limitations in order to see any value in human kind at all, because why would an all powerful being even need us for?, and if we don't follow we burn basically even though we are a curious race which run through trial and error, did he know everything from the start or did he learn from his own mistakes?

For number 2, no it does not make any more sense to suggest that God gave things "definition" because the thing is the bible was a "translation" from another language, Latin I believe, thing is God already knew what the light and darkness were with a definition which suggests that the idea of light and darkness came from somewhere else in order to give him the idea for the light and the darkness at all, imagine yourself just appearing in a universe and you were just a baby yet you survive and have lots of power, are you curious?, are you going to grow up?, will your power change?, will you even be aware?, and so on, to say that god was just there is not a very sensible explanation, but then what i'm implying i not an explanation but a reasonable hypothesis.

Number three, okay good point but not good enough, when I suggest he has a body I was relating to the point that like humanity we have a body and supposedly with in us we have a spirit correct?, thing is with god's "spirit" he would have needed a potential form or non-form to have control over the power, if power is not controlled then it is chaos which of course is what generally started the big bang anyway.

And for number 4, once again this also relates to the other three, I suggest that he became tired because firstly, why 7?, that's a bit too specific, and of course we have seven days of the week.  The number seven had a mystical significance to Babylonians. It was associated with the seven heavenly bodies; the Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. 

I say he needs a limit too, because here's another thing, God can't stop everything even if he did make everything, maybe, okay here is a scenario for you, he either had loads of trial and errors until he got to us or he literally made us without any hesitation or reason and then sin interfered and made the world what it is today giving god purpose i suppose, you cannot have darkness without light, he made night and day just like that, but then again that happens on more than one planet, there are billions upon billions of planets and stars out there, so for someone to say that god made us first with all the other sun's and orbiting planets which were probably there way before us, oh wait there were stars but no mention of other planets, there was earth but no mention of the solar system, funny isn't it?, that he made all of this but never mentions it so when we discover it we wonder did we just make it all up or did god really make all these solar systems in the exact same way?, obviously leading to the potential of more life and beings, might even be a regenerating time lord :)

At the end of the day, to define something is more important than we realise, like time, it is not a number but it is what we count time with.

I don't think god needed us I think he created us for his enjoyment,wanted us? He points this out a lot in his word. And had the vision of an inhabited earth instead of how it was at first and thought it could be well.

i do wonder if gods more than a spirit because how many apostles have seen the physical him on his throne,described his "body's" features, they tell us many times.But I do think he can be spirit too,he's said "I am still among you",while at the same time he's sitting on his throne(with Jesus on the right side of him ),and everyone's praying up to him.  he's able to do that somehow....unless he's a spirit that Just is in multiple places,like duplicates? Haha I don't know.

i get what you mean about,how was he able to even see the plan or everything,like from memory or something. And he knew what light does,means. Well duh he's a super genius!,haha(he did say his thinking is higher then ours). But Like how did he know? ....,anyways it's all crazy cool and amazing .