Some say the people you hang with are a reflection of you or something like that,so I was wondering do you think it's okay to be friends with those who are not believers,cuss,and are in the world more than in Christ?

if yes/no ,tell what can be the effect of a relationship with them.

You can as long as you don't act like them or participate in anything they do.

Well yes and no...

yes because sometimes there are people that i've met who have a good heart and all but they have a problem with cussing mainly because of their family and everything. He has a big heart but cusses. Then you could have someone who is not a believer and yet is a good friend. It's not like God is telling us to shun those who dont believe in him. We can be friends with those who don't believe, but you'll never have that bond you get with them in spiritual terms.

and no because I've heard in the bible that bad company can corrupt a good heart, so if you hang out with people who often, smoke, drink, cuss, and are not believers, you could be put  at a higher risk of falling into that kind of lifestyle. When we surround ourselves with people who are Christ like and who you see are mainly doing the right thing then it helps us spiritually. 

Mandy <3

Also in the bible it says who ever be friends with the world is the enemy to God. I forgot what verse it say that. I am going to find it and post it here.

15 hours ago, MandySCOtt said:

Well yes and no...

yes because sometimes there are people that i've met who have a good heart and all but they have a problem with cussing mainly because of their family and everything. He has a big heart but cusses. Then you could have someone who is not a believer and yet is a good friend. It's not like God is telling us to shun those who dont believe in him. We can be friends with those who don't believe, but you'll never have that bond you get with them in spiritual terms.

and no because I've heard in the bible that bad company can corrupt a good heart, so if you hang out with people who often, smoke, drink, cuss, and are not believers, you could be put  at a higher risk of falling into that kind of lifestyle. When we surround ourselves with people who are Christ like and who you see are mainly doing the right thing then it helps us spiritually. 

Mandy <3

I agree,it can be better for your walk if they have the same mind(bibles say be of "one mind" ".

and yet like you say they can be good people just cuss,though it could be a bad thing like what's in your heart comes out of your mouth ....

19 minutes ago, Michi said:

Also in the bible it says who ever be friends with the world is the enemy to God. I forgot what verse it say that. I am going to find it and post it here.

Ok michi, I know and it also says he better not find you eating and drinking with the drunken when he comes or you'll get the wicked's punishment....

1 hour ago, Lovinghim said:

Ok michi, I know and it also says he better not find you eating and drinking with the drunken when he comes or you'll get the wicked's punishment....

yup there will be consequinces

Um, yeah, you can be friends. not intimate friends, but friends. The Bible calls for us to be "equally yoked", which applies not only to marriage, but friendships. If you both have dramatically different views, the yoking doesn't work. You're not equalized.

People tend to rub off on each other. The younger and/or more impressionable you are, the more likely your friend is to rub off on you as you develop your sense of self. You ever see those teen sitcoms where the one girl is "normal" and the other is "goth" and they start hanging out and one changes to look like the other? This is a hugely over dramatic example, but there is some truth to it. We can impact each other for the better or for the worse. 

A better statement would be "You want your friends to be the reflection of who you want to be."

You want your circle of friends to include people who you can encourage and whom you can encourage back. you both rub off on each other in a positive way. As for unbelieving friends, I probably wouldn't include a raging SJW atheist in my close friend group, but I'll be nice to one or get acquainted with one because it's what you do. Don't be a jerk to people, don't intentionally snub non-Christians because Christianity isn't a clique. Be kind, be a witness. 

Also, I'm going to interject in here with the swearing thing.

Christians cuss. Good hearted, Jesus freak status, God obsessed believers swear.  Sometimes we know we're doing it.We're human and we're angry and it just slips. Everyone has sins. Swearing isn't a deal-breaker for salvation, especially with a newer believer (God's gotta change his heart before He changes his mouth!) Other times, we work in that environment and we just hear it all the time and it slides out. I work retail. It's not in my heart, I just hear it all day so it gets stuck in my mind.

My step-dad grew up in an ultra-conservative Pentecostal home, went into the military. He came home for dinner one night and told his mom to "Please pass the f$%@ing salt." and didn't even know what he'd said.

It happens. And there's a difference between "Ah @#$%!" and "I (bleeped) this (beep)ing hot (beep) in the back of my (beep) Jaguar. and (beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)." 

Huge difference. Swearing needs context. Hang out with person 1 and not the one with the Jaguar. 

Edited by Boogles

On 2/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, Boogles said:

Um, yeah, you can be friends. not intimate friends, but friends. The Bible calls for us to be "equally yoked", which applies not only to marriage, but friendships. If you both have dramatically different views, the yoking doesn't work. You're not equalized.

People tend to rub off on each other. The younger and/or more impressionable you are, the more likely your friend is to rub off on you as you develop your sense of self. You ever see those teen sitcoms where the one girl is "normal" and the other is "goth" and they start hanging out and one changes to look like the other? This is a hugely over dramatic example, but there is some truth to it. We can impact each other for the better or for the worse. 

A better statement would be "You want your friends to be the reflection of who you want to be."

You want your circle of friends to include people who you can encourage and whom you can encourage back. you both rub off on each other in a positive way. As for unbelieving friends, I probably wouldn't include a raging SJW atheist in my close friend group, but I'll be nice to one or get acquainted with one because it's what you do. Don't be a jerk to people, don't intentionally snub non-Christians because Christianity isn't a clique. Be kind, be a witness. 

Also, I'm going to interject in here with the swearing thing.

Christians cuss. Good hearted, Jesus freak status, God obsessed believers swear.  Sometimes we know we're doing it.We're human and we're angry and it just slips. Everyone has sins. Swearing isn't a deal-breaker for salvation, especially with a newer believer (God's gotta change his heart before He changes his mouth!) Other times, we work in that environment and we just hear it all the time and it slides out. I work retail. It's not in my heart, I just hear it all day so it gets stuck in my mind.

My step-dad grew up in an ultra-conservative Pentecostal home, went into the military. He came home for dinner one night and told his mom to "Please pass the f$%@ing salt." and didn't even know what he'd said.

It happens. And there's a difference between "Ah @#$%!" and "I (bleeped) this (beep)ing hot (beep) in the back of my (beep) Jaguar. and (beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)." 

Huge difference. Swearing needs context. Hang out with person 1 and not the one with the Jaguar. 

Haha,good point ,I like to think we're works in progress.