Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Anima Christi

Seeking Advice

I need some advice on how to deal with a friend of mine. He's a good, God fearing man who loves God and His Church with all his being. I love this man like I would my own brother. But thing is he won't stop texting me. It's incredibly annoying and it drives me insane! It's not like it's important life or death stuff either. Nine times out of ten it's just to say hi. I could set my watch by this guy's messages because it's every morning at 10AM sharp when we're on breaks. I know when my phone vibrates, it's probably him. He's a good friend, but he's so needy sometimes. I feel like I'm taking care of him when he's five years older than myself. I absolutely hate texting. It feels so impersonal and I think it's impossible to grow closer through texting. If I want to talk to someone, I call them or better yet, just walk to their dorm and speak to them in person. If I answer this guy's text, I'll be stuck in a conversation where if I don't respond, he'll send me another message every couple minutes until I answer. If I have errands to run or work that needs to be done then I will not answer. I've stopped responding because I just simply don't have the time to talk to anyone when I'm at school. I tried talking to him about this, but he went right back to his old habits. I feel suffocated. It's like I can't get away. I was on retreat one day and he texted me asking how my retreat was going. Even when I tried to dedicate an entire day of my summer break to silence and contemplation, there was no escape. Part of me can't wait until I officially enter the order after college and get rid of my phone. He texts me every single day, multiple times a day. Once in the morning, afternoon and night. I can't keep doing this. I love this guy like a brother. But it seems like he always wants to talk. We're both in school, and our dorms are 5 minutes away from each other. How he has all this time to text me is beyond me. I'm really lost here, guys. I have no clue what to do here. Sorry to rant and vent, but I really have no idea what to do. I've talked to him but it didn't seem to help. Thanks!

Honestly sounda like he's lonely and needs more friends or someone else to be that person he jas dai lo y check ins with. Have you considered backing off the friendship entirely to try to get him closer to other people?

Try being straight up with him, but don't come accross as too harsh. If you say that you would like him to lay off the texts (and explain why) gracefully, and if he respects you then he should stop, or at least slow down

I like the guy. Just bear with him till you officially enter the order. And next time, switch off your phone when you want to commune with God.And practice calling him yourself every day: that will at least leave him with no excuse.