Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

cgaviria

The Tzniut, Wives and Head Coverings

The women that must cover their heads,

For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. (1 Corinthians 11:6 [ESV])

Are wives, for the head covering, otherwise called the tzniut, is a sign that she has authority over her own head, meaning she is married,

That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head... (1 Corinthians 11:10 [ESV])

And in being married, she has come under the submission of a husband,

To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." (Genesis 3:16 [NIV])

Which is why when she prays or prophesies with her head uncovered,

but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. (1 Corinthians 11:5 [ESV])

She is dishonoring the head over her, meaning her husband,

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. (1 Corinthians 11:3 [ESV])

As such, when Rebekah first saw her betrothed Isaac, she veiled herself,

and asked the servant, "Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?" "He is my master," the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself. Then the servant told Isaac all he had done.(Genesis 24:65-66 [NIV])

As a sign that she has now come under his authority as his new wife,

Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death. (Genesis 24:67 [NIV])

The head covering is not just intended to cover the hair only, for even the long hair of a woman is itself called a natural covering,

but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. (1 Corinthians 11:15 [NIV])

But rather, the head covering is intended to cover the entire head, hair and face, which is even why when Tamar veiled herself,

she took off her widow's clothes, covered herself with a veil to disguise herself, and then sat down at the entrance to Enaim, which is on the road to Timnah. For she saw that, though Shelah had now grown up, she had not been given to him as his wife. (Genesis 38:14 [NIV])

Her face was also entirely covered, to where Judah did not know who she was and mistook her for a prostitute,

When Judah saw her, he thought she was a prostitute, for she had covered her face. (Genesis 38:15 [NIV])

And even when a wife, who is under the authority of a husband, is suspected of adultery,

Then the priest shall make her take an oath, saying, ‘If no man has lain with you, and if you have not turned aside to uncleanness while you were under your husband’s authority, be free from this water of bitterness that brings the curse.
(Numbers 5:19 [ESV])

The Law of Moses instructs the priest the loosen's the wife's hair,

And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD and unbind the hair of the woman’s head and place in her hands the grain offering of remembrance, which is the grain offering of jealousy. And in his hand the priest shall have the water of bitterness that brings the curse. (Numbers 5:18 [ESV])

Because her hair is also covered by her head covering. As such, this is a mandatory tradition that is not only revealed by the Law of Moses, but it is also mandated by the apostles,

I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. (1 Corinthians 11:2 [NIV])

But if anyone thinks to be contentious, we do not have such a custom, nor the assemblies of God.  (1 Corinthians 11:16 [ABP])

With or without the veal, God still uses women. I understand that in some countries/religion does this but in that case you can't just say that it's just disgraceful for women to not cover their heads. It just plain dumb.