Sign in to follow this  
SenpaiZach

Need advice on parents

Alright so recently my parents have gotten more and more strict, and paranoid as I get older. Coming up this month is a huge youth trip called Motion Conference, I'm sure some of you have heard of it. Me and my girlfriend plan on going in order to get closer to God, as I've been wanting to do. The trip is with my church, and is heavily chaperoned and supervised. However even after being told this my parents refuse to let me go, so long as my girlfriend is going. I understand parents have the authority, but I think this is overstepping their bounds, as this is directly preventing me from an amazing experience that will help me get closer to God. Another reason is my girlfriend has already paid for and is going on the trip, but she struggles with anxiety, and I know for a fact If I am not there, she will be miserable, and probably unable to get closer to god, she also scratches her arms out of habit when she's anxious, and I don't want her hurting herself. As to anyone curious of my age, I am well over 16. My question to everyone is how can I convince my parents? 

On 6/24/2017 at 11:12 AM, Nicene Nerd said:

It sounds like your parents are on the right track to me.

May I ask why you think this? 

So you and your girlfriend are planning to go to get closer to get closer to God or to each other? 

On 6/23/2017 at 6:43 AM, SenpaiZach said:

I know for a fact If I am not there, she will be miserable, and probably unable to get closer to god

No person, no matter how important, should be the deciding factor in someone's life on if/ how they grow closer to God. If you believe that she truly needs you to get closer to God then I recommend talking that through with her, as God is infinity more important than your relationship.

Try to talk to your parents and ask them their motives behind not letting you go if your GF is going; try to talk it through with your family and with your girlfriend's family to come to a compromise, or at least an outcome that everyone understands.

8 hours ago, FOX545 said:

So you and your girlfriend are planning to go to get closer to get closer to God or to each other? 

No person, no matter how important, should be the deciding factor in someone's life on if/ how they grow closer to God. If you believe that she truly needs you to get closer to God then I recommend talking that through with her, as God is infinity more important than your relationship.

Try to talk to your parents and ask them their motives behind not letting you go if your GF is going; try to talk it through with your family and with your girlfriend's family to come to a compromise, or at least an outcome that everyone understands.

Thank you for your input, and I agree God is more important. The only reason I said that she would be unhappy would be because of her anxiety, and I want to be there to help with that. And I will, God is absolutely the number one priority.