TinaMae

Anxiety and Depression: Is It A Sin?

I want your guys' honest opinion. Do you think I'm sinning because I have anxiety and depression?

I was diagnosed with anxiety a little more than half way through ninth grade. That summer, everything got worse. I began having suicidal thoughts...again. I had had these thoughts before, and had switched my medicine for my anxiety to something different. This time, I thought it was just the medicine giving me these thoughts again. Unfortunately, the doctor did not agree, and I was diagnosed with depression. I continue, to this day, to have suicidal thoughts. Some of which have come dangerously close to actions. I have no control over these thoughts. They just...happen.

Luckily, I have started to see a mental health nurse regularly, and am going to see a psychologist this Thursday. So don't worry, I am getting help. Personally, and due to my friends and parents opinions, I do not believe that I am sinning. I just want to see the response I get on here.

26 minutes ago, Delores Stariana said:

I don't think it's a sin. Suicide is a sin, yes. I have depression. I don't think it is a sin. I don't think you need to worry about it.

I agree with you 100%

Tina,

Weather you believe it is a sin or not is important.

But I know once we receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we have declared war against Satan. And if you don’t have all your armor on symptom like this remain or get worse.

Meditating on the word in a relationship way will help you from those symptoms, I am a living witness.

Here are some short message examples of meditating on the word of God:

https://youtu.be/vda5TJbeGME

Hello, according to me, I don't think it is a sin and don't worry about it. If you want to take yourself out of depression you need to stay happy and medicines do not provide you the permanent solution for depression. You should start doing the things which make you feel happy and smile. As suggested meditating and regular exercise id also the best way to keep away from depression.

Edited by Joanne J. Zook

On 12/12/2017 at 4:12 AM, Joanne J. Zook said:

Hello, according to me, I don't think it is a sin and don't worry about it. If you want to take yourself out of depression you need to stay happy and medicines do not provide you the permanent solution for depression. You should start doing the things which make you feel happy and smile. As suggested meditating and regular exercise id also the best way to keep away from depression.

I know that this is heckin' old, but I simply couldn't let it slide. 

I worked out about 20 hours a week this summer and still wanted to throw myself off of the nearest bridge the entirety of July. :\  Please, tell me, was I simply not working out enough? 20 hours a week wasn't suitable?

I lacked the energy  to enjoy myself. After working out, I'd shower and just lay on the couch and cry.  I was in so much emotional pain that I was unable to do the things that made me happy. When someone feels that way, sometimes the simplest tasks are hard to do. Brushing your hair, your teeth, getting out of bed, remembering to stay hydrated can all be a challenge for the depressed human. You can't just watch 3 stupid cat videos on youtube and "get over it."

Your advice isn't the best for those struggling with depression. I advise you to do more research on the subject. 

One does not simply "stay happy" when one's mental hormones are messed up. So while a healthy lifestyle can ease the symptoms of depression, it is not a cure all. Typically it takes the triple punch of meds, therapy/counseling and healthy living to make it bearable and all of those are PARAMOUNT to maintaining mental health. (if you have been prescribed meds, that is. I have not--my spiral was caused by lousy circumstances)

The way your brain is wired is not a sin. Your sad circumstances are not a sin.  You do yourself a disservice by not getting the help you need, but that isn't a sin.