I had a pretty deep discussion on this with my small group last night, and I wanted to bring it up here to get some discussion going. What do you think it means when someone calls Christians "judgmental". Is there a difference between how the world defines "judgmental" and how the Bible defines "judgmental". Also, how would you define judgmental?

In a Christian view, judgmental can be when a person does not feel accepted from his sin. I have not really heard of judgmental in a worldly view, but since that person could not know Christ, he could be judged with whatever seems bad to him. Judgmental is when one sees something wrong with a person.

As Christians, it is important to know what is biblically right and wrong. If someone is sinning, one can accept him as a person and be loving to him, and also confront him about it. In order for that person to be open about his sin to get support, he needs to feel trusted, and know that everyone sins and he will not be judged. 

Being judgmental does not reflect Christ, and it is important that one does not look at himself as a "better Christian" than someone else. Jesus lived the best example for everyone; He was loving and accepting to anyone He came in contact with. 

People throw around that word so much I’m starting to hate it.

There’s a big line between being “judgmental” ( aka condemning or being hyper-critical of others for their behavior or other factors) and using your critical thinking skills to JUDGE if a situation is right for you.  We have minds, we should use them to discern various situations and people so we stay safe, stay true to the Word, and all that. “Gentle as doves, wise as serpents.”

As Christians, I do think we should use our better judgment and be judgmental of situations or persons that could be bad.  The line, from what I gather is when we use our judging skills to demerit their value as a human being and exalt ourselves. That is crossing the line into sinfulness and hypocritical thinking.  

The world sees the thinking bit as hypercritical, or a personal attack. They take some of the Bible’s tenets the wrong way and see how some believers act and assume the whole bunch is bad (ironically… judging us because they’ve judged us as judgemental…)

Ssomething got misconstrued along the way. Judgement of persons and situations has been taken as only a personal attack when it may not be.  I don’t necessarily think I’m better than the angry individual who smells like beer that is swearing like a mad man, but would it be in my best interests to not strike up a conversation? Yes, yes it would be.

All good thoughts so far. In my small group, we decided to define "judgmental", as we too felt that the word is thrown around way too often (and most times people don't know what being judgmental actually entails). We ended up defining judgmental as "A conclusion based off of an assumption."  It could be an assumption that turns out to be true, or it could be false. But basically, if someone is coming to a conclusion before they know the concrete facts, that's what we found as judgmental.

Many non-christians seem to think calling out sin is being judgmental. But based off of our definition, it wouldn't be because the conclusion was based off of evidence (i.e. they told us about the sin, or we've seen them do it). Now, if we condemned someone for the sin of stealing just by the way they look, that would be what I consider judgmental. Like Becky said, some may think calling out people for sin is a personal attack, thus "judgmental", but I don't believe that to be the case.

Any thoughts on that definition, and if it holds merit?

People tend to draw assumptions and jump into conclusion to the point that they are becoming judgmental without any solid proof.  And let's admit, there are Christians with "holier than thou attitude," which is sad.  Let us not forget that we are all unrighteous and we have to continuously work towards Christlikeness to be deserving to be called righteous.  James 4:12 questions us "who are we to judge our neighbors."

As Christians, we are called to hate the sin but love the sinner (oftentimes we call them enemies).  Christians are called to love (God first and our neighbors).  We should not be afraid of those neighbors who may be able to violate our physical body, for they can never mess up with our soul which is far more important (Matthew 10:28).  

I know of people who are ministering in the maximum security prison cell, and they are not afraid for they believe that they are being protected by the Lord if ever something happens.  These lay who reach out to these people love these sinners unconditionally but not their sins and they were able to save some souls because they have learned how to be not judgmental.  

I find very religious people very judgmental. It's like if you don't believe just the way they do you do everything wrong and you are bad.  

What being judgmental is: Judging someone over something petty or something they cannot actually control.

What using right judgment is: realizing that gut instinct that this situation is OFF is not always wrong and you should really keep it in mind.

What using "judgment" as a Christian should be: Acknowledging your faith, beliefs, what is and is not sin, and living your life by this. If someone asks for you view, you give it honestly, as you do not want to condone sin. Otherwise, Jesus told us to find the log in our own eye before pointing out the speck in another's. everyone's got their thing.

So I.E.

ew that girl's hair is ugly - judgmental

That guy just put alcohol in the punch, I shouldn't drink that since I am under 21. - right judgment

Christian judgment: "Hey Jazzy do you think if I take a candy bar from the store that is on sale anyway is that bad?"

"Any form, lesser or not, of stealing is a sin. We should not take from people unjustly." - judge of the sin also not the sinner.