Sign in to follow this  
lilyriekert

If prayer works then why go to a doctor

So I'm still new to this all. But if prayer works then there is no need for doctors? Why does it not work. Why does nothing happen. Why does my mom not stop drinking. Why does nothing happen? Why? It's like you alone in a room and nobody is there but people tell you everyone is there and listening but you know you are alone and there are no doors in the room. 

Prayer works according to the good sovereign plan and will of God. Prayer does much more than perform public miracles, it performs many unseen miracles. It demonstrates our limits and demonstrates our desire to rely on an all powerful God to affect lives and things outside of our control. It invites us into the presence of a Holy God on the basis of Christ alone, knowing that without Jesus, being in the presence of God in our sinfulness will only condemn us. It gives us an opportunity to wait and see the goodness of the Lord as He answers us in ways we never would have imagined.

There is a need for doctors, there are many unseen miracles going on in the operation room. With each tragedy, pain and success, the hearts and lives of doctors, patients and nurses are all being affected. God has also given us science and this world for us to know much of it and how it works in order for us to worship Him in all his beauty. There is so much we can learn from the human body and how it works and how to heal it. God and miracles are not a substitute to science. We never stop learning about this world and the precise workings that God has put in place. The statement you made can be applied to anything in this world. If there's prayer, why is there a church, why do we have missionaries, why do we have engineers, why can't we just pray and have everything instantly happen the way we want it. The answer to that is, prayer is a means of grace that God uses to accomplish His will on the earth. It can be answered in many ways, but it is never a substitute for action. We pray and act. We pray and live. We pray and play. We pray and eat. We pray and glorify God.

God wants us to persist in prayer as well. Never stop praying for your mom and loving her and being a Christ-like daughter to her. Your consistency, your tears, your prayers will all be heard by God and at the right time He will bring you healing and comfort and will wipe away your tears.

Edited by Kite

I have been in that place so. so. so many times. My father was abusive and I've had so many battles because of it. I've been in those dark places too, Lily, where it feels like you're just screaming a brick wall and God doesn't answer. You're filled with all those questions, why this, why that, why me?  If God is good then why do I hurt so much? When will I stop hurting? When will my circumstances change?  I can relate so much, sweetheart.

We have prayer, yes, but what humans also have is free will, Free will to perform various actions, some which glorify God and some that can negatively impact others. God doesn't stop us from having free will. So your mother's drinking is her own free will at play and sadly it is negatively impacting you. Like my father enacting his free will to hit me. 
 God can work on her heart so she quits, but he's not going to take that free will away from any human being. That is not how He operates

I feel like I should mention, in addition to everything Kite said, that despite how people talk about prayer, it's not like rubbing a magic lamp. Genies don't pop out and cater to our every whim instantly.  It's not like wishing on a star and getting a miracle in the morning, either. TV and movies make it seem that way, but that's not how it works.  Our prayers are to build our relationship with God, to communicate with our creator, to build patience and other character traits as we grow closer to Him.  He wants to hear our wants and needs, but he grants them in His own timing.

I know the waiting hurts, I know it feels futile at times, but it is worth it. If you can pull through the trial by pressing into him, you'll grow, despite your sucky, sucky circumstances.  You're certainly not alone. Even when it FEELS like you're alone, God is right there, beside you, coaxing you through as your life unfolds. 

If you ever need someone to talk to, send me a message, okay? I know what it's like to have a sucky parent. Praying for you!

I love my mom, shes not bad. she just cant stop. My dad is ok. i think he's not here because shes drinking so hes sad i guess. so if she stops my dad will come back and she can take me to school n stuff. not someone else. So u see im only asking for one thing. and everything else will then be ok. and i wont mind the rest. 

9 hours ago, lilyriekert said:

I love my mom, shes not bad. she just cant stop. My dad is ok. i think he's not here because shes drinking so hes sad i guess. so if she stops my dad will come back and she can take me to school n stuff. not someone else. So u see im only asking for one thing. and everything else will then be ok. and i wont mind the rest. 

Sounds like she's addicted?  Do you know if she's trying to get help? Have you ever talked to her about how her being drunk makes you feel?  Kids can have a massive impact on parents sometimes. If she's not abusive ( doesn't hit or yell at you when she's been drinking) maybe it's worth a try--just let her know. Something as simple as "I wish you could take me to school more often so we can spend time together" might encourage her to make a change. 

The tricky part of addictions is that in order to stop, you have to want to, or have to let the Lord work on you to help you get free, but if someone doesn't WANT freedom, for whatever reason, then, they're making terrible choices. And as I said before, God doesn't over throw our free will. He'll nudge in the right direction, cause things to happen to help us change our minds so our circumstances change among other things; but  He won't over-ride our free will. 

I understand. When I was 13 and I found my parents were divorcing, I only wanted one thing-things to stay the same. Like, yeah, my dad could be scary, but at least scary was familiar. 

Either way, situations can change, prayer does work, though not always in the ways we expect. Hang in there girlie.  Jesus is there for you, and I am too.