Sign in to follow this  
ComedyMusicHistory

Why We Need A World Without Email

While this is not literally about why email should not exist, it is about how constantly checking an email is harming concentration, focus, and productivity in the workplace.

If I may add, our cellular phones are quite distracting too. Having a cell phone will tempt us to spend all day talking or texting instead of doing productive things.

I think Mr. Newport's point hits closer to home for office workers than others. (For instance, my brother in IT and my sister working in a hardware store may check their email daily, and my brother will use his in his job, but most of their conversation is channeled through IM services. That said, I do agree that better scheduled official communication and planning would be more productive.

I have started by organizing most of my collaborative work projects in Asana and google sheets vs email messaging.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:02 AM, KaiTeen said:

If I may add, our cellular phones are quite distracting too. Having a cell phone will tempt us to spend all day talking or texting instead of doing productive things.

I totally agree! I keep my smartphone turned off most of the day. But, it's especially bad when there's an expectation that people should be continually checking their emails at work instead of actually working. As in, that people checking their emails has become a chore to do at work.