Sign in to follow this  
MyDestinyIsHeaven

TRACK PEOPLE!

I run the 4x400, 300 hurdles, and either 800 or 400(depending on the layout of the meet) I also Pole Vault. I'm the first and (so far) only girl pole vaulter our school has had....

yea 4x400 is way easier then the 4x100 since usually you do visual exchanges...its rather nerve racking to hope the guy puts it in your hand before he drops of exhaustion and before you hit topspeed...the timing is scary

I don't know what my times are my coach wouldn't tell us(for some reason) I always begged but he wouldn't tell me. For pole vaulting though my record was either 6'6" or 7'0" I can't remember now but this coming year I'm gonna try for at lest 8'0".

Originally posted by SetFree@Sep 27 2005, 06:08 PM

yea 4x400 is way easier then the 4x100 since usually you do visual exchanges...its rather nerve racking to hope the guy puts it in your hand before he drops of exhaustion and before you hit topspeed...the timing is scary

289698[/snapback]

Yea, I cant count the number of times our 4x100 team has gotten disqualified for things like batons and lanes, and once becasue one girl wore underarmor and the others didnt. But the coach told her to, it was coaches fault.

The 4x4 isnt that bad, except trying to time myself so I dont go too fast in the beginning so I can reach topspeed at the end.

Soccerbug, I dont polevault, but I think its cool how they get over.

and WOW!!!???!!! My coach told us that there was NO WAY physically possible that a girl could get over 6 feet. WOW!! I dont believe him now, yiur heights are a lot better than some of the boys at my old school!! :clap:

I'm embarrassed to say that my team has been disqualified in the 4x2 AND the 4x4 before, ain't that somethin? Lol...

I was soooo mad...after the races I stormed off, shoved my sweatshirt on, grabbed my CD player, and went and calmed down on the high jump "fluffy sponge thing" (for the lack of a better word, lol). I wouldn't be surprised if I got gray hairs from them. Ugghhh - I want some Gatorade all of a sudden, lol.

I miss doing track so much, but I'm hoping that if I can I can help out with the team this year. I never could really do the running b/c of my asthma, but I did what the coach asked

we have a coach, he does track and soccer, and with his good attitude, his players adopt an attitude of never say die, you basically play and train until you drop

Ya I have asthma too, except im in long distance (imagine that lol) But im more of a jumper, I do triple jump (my favorite) and high jump. My highest on High jump was 4' 11', and on triple jump its 32'.

32' was the single year school record last year, and I was only in 7th and beat the 8th graders also. (its a 7-8th grade school)

I was Uber Happy when I found out I set a record

A girl i know did that! only she fell off a horse...but yea i dont do the jumps...not cordinated enough...i would end up breaking someting :)

I was in track in eigth grade, I loved it so much. That was my last year in middle school and our schools first year of track. It was the year that I was fighting with the Lord, I felt him tugging at me and didn't truly respond till that summer. Sorry I got off topic. I didn't try out last year I was to busy and my ankle was hurting me all last year.

Originally posted by MyDestinyIsHeaven@Oct 4 2005, 08:01 PM

I tried once in gym class. <_<

Like you, I have NO coordination. Did you know that youre a day older than me Setfree?? :P

292797[/snapback]

Well i guess that makes me superior doesnt it? :P but on topic: yea i have such bad cordination...so i'm not so good at the relays

I have a question guys! I plan on going out for track my junior year (06-07) and i'm not in the best of shape. I'm not, like, big, or anything, I'm really tiny for my age, but i don't reguraly work out. What kinda "training" would i need to do? Like, what kinda diet and exercising habits? I've got big competition at my school, and i want to make the team next year. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Jehovah'sdaughter@Oct 7 2005, 08:28 PM

I have a question guys! I plan on going out for track my junior year (06-07) and i'm not in the best of shape. I'm not, like, big, or anything, I'm really tiny for my age, but i don't reguraly work out. What kinda "training" would i need to do? Like, what kinda diet and exercising habits? I've got big competition at my school, and i want to make the team next year. Any suggestions?

295115[/snapback]

Well what kind of events did you want to do? Sprints (400m and under) medium distance (800) long distance....hurtles jumps....it all depens on what you want to do

Originally posted by Jehovah'sdaughter@Oct 7 2005, 08:28 PM

295115[/snapback]

Um, lets see.

Im not a sprinter, so I guess Setfree could tell ya that one.

I did the mile and half mile, and you MUST have endurance for those events, or you wont make it ot the end. Like at one meet, doing the half mile, one girl stopped. She just couldnt finish. :scared:

You should run a lot. Not fast, at a comfortable pace for you. Find a track, or just jog in a park or something. Like maybe every morning.

I am not sure about the "diet" thingie, I didnt follow that very well lol. But definetly watch your intake of fast food and fatty food, they can really hold you down.

Like last year, right before a track meet, I (stupidly) ate some tacos, and I had the worst side stich when I was running. I had to slow down so much, to the point of almost walking. So eat light things before meets. \

WATER. Lotsa WATER. I didnt so that either, another mistake.

SLEEP. I didnt do that either, lol.

If I had done that, my running would have been a lot better. :sad: but its all good.

I'm sure I missed a lot, so of course this isnt it. :D

^LOL...tacos. I always had those afterwards.

To train all you really have to do (for now) is get your body used to running. Go for a jog for about a half hour each day. This is so when conditioning starts your body doesn't go, "Whoooaaaaa!!! You want me to do what?!?!?!?!?!".

Also, as said previously, don't eat anything heavy before a meet. My coach always brought us a bunch of fruit and some Nutrigrain bars. I'd always eat a few grapes and a bar and be good to go, but I usually at again every two or three hours since I get the shakes when I don't eat. You DON'T have to diet, but I do suggest cutting out junk food (well, unless it's after a meet, hahahahahaaa). Remember than water and Gatorade are your friends. :D

They don't tell many of the smaller athletes this, but most sports (yes, basketball included) are very kind to small people. I'm 5'6, which means in a 100m race you'd have a much better start than me because I have looong legs :ph34r: .

Originally posted by MyDestinyIsHeaven@Oct 8 2005, 09:58 AM

^^ Lucky you, my legs are shooorrrrttttt, and that totally KILLS my stride. <_<

Does 5'4 count as small?? or in the middle. Cause thats what I am. :D

295358[/snapback]

Well imo 5'4" is getting close to short :)

But yea if your gonna sprint...you should go on long runs starting aournd now and through the winter but you also want to work on foot dexterity and turnover, stuff like dancing or DDR can actually help a TON for sprinting because you tone your muscles to go quick and like in the middle of your long run once you get use to the distance; just start sprinting and try and have your feet off the ground for the shortest about of time possible withe the longest stride; the faster you can do this the better you can do in sprints :)

And as for diet....um....junk food? lol i have no special diet....besides pizza after i run.... :-P

Uhm, Probably distance. I'm really short and have short legs, but when i'm in shape, i'm fast! lol (I'm 5"1' and weigh in the mid 90s...lol, sounded like i was predicting the weather forecast...hahhaahah) My dad said i would probably run like, half mile or mile. When i'm in shape, I can run pretty well. I tried out for track my 7th grade year, but there were a lot of older kids trying out, and i didn't make it :(

oh well, I'm trying out again!

So, a good amount of sleep, alot of fruit and veggies(which i eat alot of those already, so i'm good on that), Lot of water(that i can work on), half hour of jogging a day, nothing to heavy to eat before meets, gatorade...ne thing else i need to know???

Like, what shoes, like what kinda running shoes, would be preferred, hmmm. I'm so in the dark about this kinda stuff.

What if i wear glasses? Should i get contacts or can i wear these?

Originally posted by MyDestinyIsHeaven@Oct 8 2005, 09:58 AM

^^ Lucky you, my legs are shooorrrrttttt, and that totally KILLS my stride. <_<

Does 5'4 count as small?? or in the middle. Cause thats what I am. :D

295358[/snapback]

Lol, yeah, but long legs = horrible starts <_< . Hahahahahaaa. Shorter people have less distance to cover with their starting leg in sprint events.

5'4 is average height for a woman I believe, so you're cool.

Uhm, Probably distance. I'm really short and have short legs, but when i'm in shape, i'm fast! lol (I'm 5"1' and weigh in the mid 90s...lol, sounded like i was predicting the weather forecast...hahhaahah) My dad said i would probably run like, half mile or mile. When i'm in shape, I can run pretty well. I tried out for track my 7th grade year, but there were a lot of older kids trying out, and i didn't make it 

oh well, I'm trying out again!

So, a good amount of sleep, alot of fruit and veggies(which i eat alot of those already, so i'm good on that), Lot of water(that i can work on), half hour of jogging a day, nothing to heavy to eat before meets, gatorade...ne thing else i need to know???

Like, what shoes, like what kinda running shoes, would be preferred, hmmm. I'm so in the dark about this kinda stuff.

What if i wear glasses? Should i get contacts or can i wear these?

You'd do great in distance :D . There's nothing else you need to know besides having good clothes to run in, especially if you do it outdoors. Make sure you wear something that breathes. As for shoes, don't go cheap. A good pair are usually somewhere from $60 to $120 or so, and I promise they'll last a good while - well, unless you run over hot coals or something, lol. I still use the ones I bought when I started track in the 9th grade and I'm a senior now.

As for glasses, I don't suggest wearing contacts when you run. They air may bother your eyes. I wear glasses and I used those string things (forgot what they're called) to them around my head. I didn't want to wear athletic glasses :unsure: .

^^ HA!! LOL!!

Seems like everytime I turn around, there's something that I have in common with you lol.

JD, I agree with blissful. I wear glasses, thick ones at that, and have run with them with no problem. B) And I have had contacts too, and when they get dry you cant put drops in them while you are running....

And I have athletic glasses, I will NEVER wear those beasts in public

:baghead: lol!!

And I did those events, mile and half mile. I commend anyone who can do those without falling out. :D

Just keep your endurance up. There have been MANY times at a meet during the mile where I wanted to stop, but I didnt. the mile rocks. :P

As for shoes, I have these very lightweight shoes, they cost 20.00 at Lady Foot Locker.com. They are not cross trainer sneakers, Ill see if I can get a pic on here.

Originally posted by blissful@Oct 8 2005, 08:20 PM

You'd do great in distance  :D . There's nothing else you need to know besides having good clothes to run in, especially if you do it outdoors. Make sure you wear something that breathes. As for shoes, don't go cheap. A good pair are usually somewhere from $60 to $120 or so, and I promise they'll last a good while - well, unless you run over hot coals or something, lol. I still use the ones I bought when I started track in the 9th grade and I'm a senior now.

295775[/snapback]

It doesnt cost that much for a good pair of running shoes! i have a great pair of distance shoes for only 45$ but i've had mine for 2 years...they've been everywhere and through everything and they are just as comfy as when i started...and if your gonna be training on the road you could get a fairly cheap pair as long as they are comfy and they would hold together pretty well....although wen the season starts you might want to get a good pair of racing flats; not spikes,...those are nasty for distance

Btw MDiH i love your new icon!