Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How Old Was Mary When She Had Jesus?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Every1rox

Every1rox

Experienced Fellow

• 165 posts
do you know how old marry was when she had jesus? some people say 15!
Posted Image
God Will show me The Right Guy when when the right Guy comes!P.s. that guy is Jesus!

jadeyXx13

jadeyXx13

Member - Wise One

• 913 posts
yer 15 came to my head when i saw this topic but that is a very young age to have a baby!

:scared:
Love the lord with all your heart and all your soul. Love him with all your understanding.

Posted Image

Steph.

Steph.

Member - 5Ker

• 8,936 posts
I was always taught that she was somewhere between 12 and 14, a perfectly normal age to be married and have a child in those times.

Jehovah'sdaughter

Jehovah'sdaughter

Member - 10Ker

• 17,566 posts
What Steph said. Back then, girls were married off at a VERY young age. So, early teen years, more than likely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~KJV ONLY~

*What you are is what you breathe,
You gotta cry before you sing.*

My daughter: Haleygirl16
My grandkids: Christopherjr, trueimage15, Anabeth, herbiefullyloaded, and zia

"Avoid Floppage.--Haleygirl16"

benedictus

benedictus

Member - 1Ker

• 1,685 posts
There is no historical document which tells us how old Mary was when she had Jesus. Scholars generally agree it was sometime in her early teens: from 13 years old to 15 years old.

In the language of the Catholic Encyclopedia, Jewish maidens would have been considered "manageable" from the age of 12 and-a-half, at which point they would have been betrothed and married to a man, as Mary was. Mary was still betrothed to Joseph when she conceived our Lord, which leads us to believe that she was on the younger side.

http://oce.catholic...._Blessed_Virgin

I'm just a boy who can shave.
</span>

<div align=\'right\'>CTFwed to Matthew <3
CTFwed to Catrina <span style="color:#ff0000"><3

</div>

jessi_luv6

jessi_luv6

Member - Wise One

• 732 posts

do you know how old marry was when she had jesus? some people say 15![/b]

She was in her teens and it was normal because that's how old girls were when they were married. I heard that she was around 13.
http://www.christian...line=1293656490
"Faithful friends are beyond price: No amount can balance their worth" ~Sirach 6:15

"To Call God my Father and to Know myself His Child, that is Heaven to me ..."
~ St. Therese

benedictus

benedictus

Member - 1Ker

• 1,685 posts

yer 15 came to my head when i saw this topic but that is a very young age to have a baby!

:scared:[/b]

You have to consider that lifespans and also the infant mortality rate were different then and if men were going to ensure that their families' bloodlines were carried on, they had to have children with women young enough to one, healthfully carry a baby to full term and two, do it more than at least a couple times to ensure that a healthy child lives until he's of age to do the same.

</span>

</div>

penguin10916

penguin10916

Member - Wise One

• 663 posts
definitely 13-17, and based on history, joseph would've been in his mid 20s.

JoshuaPopper

JoshuaPopper

Member - 1Ker

• 2,585 posts
I don't think we can be historically sure. We don't know for sure whether or not Jesus was even Mary's first born child. The nativity stories are most certainly not historical so there's no intrinsic reason to presume that Jesus was Mary's first born.

Josh
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max Power @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IHOP has a university? That means the following conversation might one day happen!

Joe: Hey Bob, what was your major in college?
Bob: Waffles.

cfalcon

cfalcon

Accomplished Poster

• 415 posts

I don't think we can be historically sure. We don't know for sure whether or not Jesus was even Mary's first born child. The nativity stories are most certainly not historical so there's no intrinsic reason to presume that Jesus was Mary's first born.

Josh[/b]

Well, the Bible says that Mary was a virgin when she had Jesus, so Jesus was Marys first born.

JoshuaPopper

JoshuaPopper

Member - 1Ker

• 2,585 posts

Well, the Bible says that Mary was a virgin when she had Jesus, so Jesus was Marys first born.[/b]

That is very unlikely to be historical, the point of the story was symbolic or metaphorical or even poetic, it was narrative. Historical studies are somewhat negative when it comes to the virgin birth, they tend to point to Jesus as having been born in Nazareth to a married couple: Joseph and Mary. :)

Josh
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max Power @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IHOP has a university? That means the following conversation might one day happen!

Joe: Hey Bob, what was your major in college?
Bob: Waffles.

benedictus

benedictus

Member - 1Ker

• 1,685 posts

That is very unlikely to be historical, the point of the story was symbolic or metaphorical or even poetic, it was narrative. Historical studies are somewhat negative when it comes to the virgin birth, they tend to point to Jesus as having been born in Nazareth to a married couple: Joseph and Mary. :)

Josh[/b]

Scripture very clearly witnesses that Mary had no relations with men at the time of the Incarnation.

</span>

</div>

Setsuko Flin

Setsuko Flin

Member - 1Ker

• 2,164 posts
13 or 14 is what I was told...

That's really young though O_O
<div align='center'>Posted Image</div>
<div align='center'>Posted Image

If a baby is not safe in his or her mother’s womb, no place is safe anymore.
Can you imagine the terror that those innocent little babies endure as the cold steel instruments pierce their tiny bodies?
Pray for the end of Abortion. </div>

cfalcon

cfalcon

Accomplished Poster

• 415 posts

Josh[/b]

Scripture very clearly witnesses that Mary had no relations with men at the time of the Incarnation.[/b]

very true Benedictus. here is some scripture:
Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.(KJV)

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (KJV)

Luke 1:26-38 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"
The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God."
"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her. (KJV)

those are just 3 of many. :)

and getting back on topic, i was also taught that girls were married very yound back then bewtween 12 and 14.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users