Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Psychology VS. Christianity

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Psychology VS. Christianity (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Psychology VS. Christianity

1. Christianity should stand on its own. (4 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Psychology is a healthy companion to Christianity. (35 votes [79.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.55%

3. I'm not exactly sure. (5 votes [11.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Komichi

Komichi

Member - 1Ker

• 2,521 posts
This may not go anywhere, but I've always wanted to post this, so please let me know your thoughts.

I have always heard that there is a very large conflict on the subject of Psychology VS. Christianity. I have read that some believe that psychology helps us understand the human mind better, that God wanted us to learn as much about his creation as we could, that it is a way of honoring him. But I have also heard that some believe psychology to be wrong. That it is trying to take the place of religion, that even as Christians we can not embrace it as truth because it is straying from biblical scripture and running the danger of making us believe untruths about ourselves. I've never looked too far into this side of the argument to be completely honest, so anyone is welcome to share why they think what they think. Just please remember, this is a poll, not a debate.

Thanks to anyone who gives their input.<a href="http://www.awmi.net/extra/article/psychology_christianity" target="_blank">

</a>
Here is an article on the topic, though it may not be the best.
Andrew Wommack Ministries
"Like dreams, the path is chosen for us."</span></div></span></span></span>

Glamour_Dollxoxo

Glamour_Dollxoxo

Member - Wise One

• 921 posts
I'm not 100 percent sure where this is really going, but I'm all for psychology God gave doctors and professionals the minds that they have for a reason and if someone has a real debilitating condition such as schizophrenia there best bet to getting help is seeking out a professional. As much as we would like God to do all the work and snap his fingers you are cured it doesn't work that way especially when it comes to something like shcizophrenia or split personality disorder. It goes along with the whole the man in the flood analogy where he wanted God to save him and God sent him help in many different forms, but he chose not to take it thinking God would do all the work for him. I think the same can be said for psychology like you can't expect God to do all the work you have to put work into it to.

SamoX19

SamoX19

Member - 5Ker

• 9,906 posts
After taking a psych class I can see the benefits of the mixture of Christianity and psychology. It helps people better understand others and offer them help. Not everything can just be "prayed better." Psychology can give christians a better understanding of the mind and how mental illnesses work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LemonShower

LemonShower

Member - 5Ker

• 5,905 posts
I prefer neuroscience anyway :D.
<div align='center'>Posted Image

Posted Image

CTF's resident neuroscience undergraduate ^_^</div>

mpok1519

mpok1519

Member - 1Ker

• 3,041 posts
Psychology is a good thing.

Back in the day if someone had autism, theyd most likely just shun the child or get rid of them bc they though the poor kid was possessed by a demon. Shame on us back then. But we all know better now. Thanks to science.

HlMelody

HlMelody

Member - 1Ker

• 4,204 posts
It depends on what one's open-mindedness or mind allows them to see. It's possible more traditional people would have a hard time adapting.

I don't believe everything concerning it in the way I would believe the Bible though. *awaits claim of fallacy*

I voted option 2, "healthy companion".
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither." C.S. Lewis
"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment." Unknown

Komichi

Komichi

Member - 1Ker

• 2,521 posts

I'm not 100 percent sure where this is really going, but I'm all for psychology God gave doctors and professionals the minds that they have for a reason and if someone has a real debilitating condition such as schizophrenia there best bet to getting help is seeking out a professional. As much as we would like God to do all the work and snap his fingers you are cured it doesn't work that way especially when it comes to something like shcizophrenia or split personality disorder. It goes along with the whole the man in the flood analogy where he wanted God to save him and God sent him help in many different forms, but he chose not to take it thinking God would do all the work for him. I think the same can be said for psychology like you can't expect God to do all the work you have to put work into it to.[/b]

I love that story. And really the only thing I wanted to see was if our generation believes psychology to be a good thing. I've always stood by it as being healthy, a very good science, but I know a lot of older people in my church who say it's a bad thing. I think a lot of people see it as an evolutionist's favorite way to trick Christians into believing their way of thinking over our own. A slow conversion. "Oh, well this theory makes more sense than the bible's discription of man." something like that I guess. In some cases i've even heard people discuss it as 'Taboo'.

cheeseisthenewpurple

cheeseisthenewpurple

Member - 1Ker

• 3,830 posts

I prefer neuroscience anyway :D.[/b]

That's a form of psychology too. :P

But I think psychology offers a lot of valid insight. Of course, not all of it is correct, and some forms of it, (like humanistic psychology), are incredibly selfish and conflicting with Christianity. I'd say if someone is wise and open minded, they can deviate truth from fiction in psychology.

Visit my Youtube Channel to check out some of the songs I've written or arranged: http://www.youtube.c.../watermintmusic

Posted Image

Madame Captain

Madame Captain

Member - 5Ker

• 5,528 posts

After taking a psych class I can see the benefits of the mixture of Christianity and psychology. It helps people better understand others and offer them help. Not everything can just be "prayed better." Psychology can give christians a better understanding of the mind and how mental illnesses work.[/b]

Amen.

CTF married to Radical Edward, my heathen wife. <3

LemonShower

LemonShower

Member - 5Ker

• 5,905 posts

That's a form of psychology too. :P[/b]

In what way? Neuroscience is the science of the nervous system, including the brain, and it seeks to empirically explain why and how we do/perceive/think things in a physiological way.
<div align='center'>Posted Image

Posted Image

CTF's resident neuroscience undergraduate ^_^</div>

WorldinthePalm

WorldinthePalm

Member - 1Ker

• 1,107 posts
I think that placing psychology in opposition to christianity will do yourself and others a great disservice
Posted Image
You know what they say: you can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk really fast or he'll die.

Shawn1313

Shawn1313

Experienced Fellow

• 122 posts
Of course it's healthy. Doctors for the physical body and doctors for your brain/mind are just as important.
“I think we’ve created God in our image, instead of the other way around. It’s like we’ve built this little box and tried to cram the infinity of God into it, too afraid that if we let him out, she might challenge us too much. Then we’d have to crucify and kill him.” Manuel scratched his forehead beneath his bangs as if recalling something. “Hey, wait a minute. That story sounds familiar. I think I read about that actually happening once, about two thousand years ago.” - The God Box, Sanchez.

Eclipse

Eclipse

Member - 1Ker

• 2,660 posts
Religion against psychology = Scientology
Posted Image
Quite possibly the greatest post I have ever read in the entire internet:
http://www.christian...p...t&p=1510260
(On taking the Bible too literally or Atheists who dismiss the Bible) "The answer to such people is that if they can't understand books written for grown-ups, they should not talk about them" - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Jezi

Jezi

Experienced Fellow

• 185 posts

Of course it's healthy. Doctors for the physical body and doctors for your brain/mind are just as important.[/b]

I agree!

I'm a psych major and when I first went off to college and my family found out what I was studying...Oh boy! It wasn't pretty because they were afraid I would "stray" from Christianity...my thought: it can only make me stronger. Learning about the intricacies of the mind and how much it boggles my mind that I can't comprehend it all just, personally, leads me closer to God. Psychology is good stuff :D

Religion against psychology = Scientology[/b]

Yesss.

Jojo

Jojo

Experienced Fellow

• 158 posts
I think that phsycology is a very broad subject with many theories and nothing that can be "proven". However, I find it facinating to try to figure out how people think and how they behave based on thier own logic systems - which is a part of phsycology - and I think that learning certain phsycological principles has helped me to better understand people around me and therefore treat them with more respect (which I believe is not in any way straying from biblical principles). For example: studying birth order, love languages, and personality types - although they are stereotypical and sometimes incorrect - have helped me understand my siblings and parents and friends better and things that used to bother me about them are easier for me to live with because I know that they aren't trying to bug me... they just can't help it sometimes. lol. I think that as long as it helps you love people the way that God loves them and you, it is good. But nothing is ever a replacement for the Bible and everything should be tested against Scripture.

inari.

inari.

Member - 1Ker

• 1,636 posts
I'm all for psychology as the ally of religion.
<div align=\'center\'>Une prière a tué les diables de la terre.. - Claude Dubois</div>

Komichi

Komichi

Member - 1Ker

• 2,521 posts

I'm a psych major and when I first went off to college and my family found out what I was studying...Oh boy! It wasn't pretty because they were afraid I would "stray" from Christianity...my thought: it can only make me stronger. Learning about the intricacies of the mind and how much it boggles my mind that I can't comprehend it all just, personally, leads me closer to God. Psychology is good stuff :D[/b]

lol this is what I was talking about. I've had a lot of people say this same thing to me when I say I'm studying psych, but in fact It makes me feel that creation is just that much more understandable for me, and real for me. People are so complex, and so is this field of research, so how COULD you think that there is anything besides God. We aren't chance.

But yeah, I can understand that some people might not like the idea, what with the large amount of darwinism in a lot of people's theories and all. But what some people don't see becuase they put up harsh thoughts towards it right away, is that atheistic-psychology is a contradiction of itself.

swampfox

swampfox

Member - 5Ker

• 6,502 posts
if pshycology is against religion, then that is like saying cds and computers can't go together at all. pshycology has been one of God's many tools in healing me of my ocd
Jesusfreak91 and I are CTF's resident Civil War Reenactor Freaks. I have many interests. Help poor people on Facebook by looking up free clicks for charity groups. Yeah thats it. Oh yeah, Phillipians 4:6.

Solja247

Solja247

Member - 1Ker

• 1,709 posts

I'm all for psychology as the ally of religion.[/b]

I am doing theology next year. Theology is about 60% about theology and 40% psychology. I am all for it.

I am doing theology next year. Theology is about 60% about theology and 40% psychology. I am all for it.

"Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians -- whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (2:62)

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein, 1941

For who hath known the mind of the Lord?" (Romans 11:34)

SamoX19

SamoX19

Member - 5Ker

• 9,906 posts
^TRIPLE POST FTW!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users