Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

John 9:41 - I don't understand what it means

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SugarMuffin

SugarMuffin

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
It says:
"Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains,"" - NIV

Please can anyone give me insight on this verse?

Thanks a lot! :clap:

PeterM

PeterM

Experienced Fellow

• 164 posts

It says:
"Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains,"" - NIV

Please can anyone give me insight on this verse?

Thanks a lot! :clap:[/b]

You speak truth when you say that you are blind and have no fault but when you claim to see, to understand when in fact you do not you are guilty.

My take on it, but i surely could be wrong. theres a reason god tells us to meditate on the bible daily. lol

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts
Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no guilt; but now that you say, ‘We see,’ your guilt remains.

John 9:41 (ESV)

Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees in this chapter. They were spiritual leaders of Israel, and also VERY hypocritical. The pharisees were confronted with evidence that Jesus Christ was Lord (see the rest of chapter 9), plus they spoke to Jesus. Since they did so, and STILL did not believe Him (and yet claimed to know about God and how to be saved), then their guilt (for their sins and hypocrisy) remained. If Jesus had not come to earth and spoken to them, if He had not done what He did, they would have an excuse to not believe Him--that's what the part about "if you were blind, you would have no guilt" means.

If I hadn't come and spoken to them, they wouldn't have any sin. But now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 The person who hates me also hates my Father. 24 If I hadn't done among them what no one else has done, they wouldn't have any sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. 25 In this way what is written in their Scriptures has come true: ‘They hate me for no reason.'
John 15:22-25 (GW)

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

The Last Generation Forum!

Glowstick

Glowstick

Member - 1Ker

• 3,853 posts
I interpret that as saying if you are blind to what you are doing, then it is not sin. But once you say that you did understand what you were doing, you were sinning.

For example, a toddler who "lied" or "stole" something would not be sinning. He wouldn't know what he did was bad.

Glow
[SIGPIC]http://i265.photobuc...2/butterfly.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Fuzzy is my Bestest Buddy ^_^ <3
Fuzzy Was Here <3

God-Sent

God-Sent

Member - 5Ker

• 7,134 posts

For example, a toddler who "lied" or "stole" something would not be sinning. He wouldn't know what he did was bad.

Glow[/b]

He would be sinning.
You've been here too long not to get tagged. SOOO I fixed the problem by giving you your first siggy tag! You're welcome ~Haley<3

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

I interpret that as saying if you are blind to what you are doing, then it is not sin. But once you say that you did understand what you were doing, you were sinning.

Glow[/b]

The thing is, the ignorance explanation only works to a limited degree. There is a concept in theology called the "Age of Accountability". The gist of it is this: until you know right from wrong (which occurs fully at a certain age, usually thought to be around 10-13 years old), you are not necessarily responsible for sinning, because you either did not know it was a sin, or you did not comprehend the punishment for that sin--or some combination of the two. You were too young. The specific age of this accountability varies slightly from person to person, but when it is passed (an specific time known to God and oneself), then one is fully accountable for one's actions.

What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. 10 The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. 11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.
Romans 7:7-13 (ESV)

Also, the pharisees had passed the age of accountability (they were the teachers of the very law Paul is talking about in the above passage). That was no excuse for them.

Studylight.org -- Age of Accountability
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

The Last Generation Forum!

SugarMuffin

SugarMuffin

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks a bunch guys...I knew it was a good idea to post this on here.
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users