Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Steven Hawking Changes his view on God

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShieldOfFaith

ShieldOfFaith

Member - 10Ker

• 21,757 posts

God Did not Create the universe says Hawking.
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.co...britain_hawking

CTF's Offical Emperor of Spam
Posted Image

Related to 99.9% of CTF
Surfer Buddy: Lauren <3 Best Friend: Johnna<3
---
You have been tagged. Boredests are always cool and worthy of taggage.- NoelKt5
Your request, my dear. You are a truly nice and awesome person and I am glad I met you, Evan. =) -Bre
God is going to use in such big ways! You, my friend, are totally worthy of a sig tag! -Jordayy
HAHA! Revenge is sweet! >:] -Faith
Also, I love My Little Pony. <3 It's better than toast. <---WHO DID THIS!?!? CONFESS! >:o
I luff you,Fuzzle Face. <3<3<3
Evan, you are an Awesome Guy. I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know you! ~Haley<3
--
"Why would you say Hi to evan? He's weird."-Pointer

My Blog <3

SaintPeter

SaintPeter

Member - 1Ker

• 4,251 posts
wait he used to believe in God?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'the fascists of the future will be called the "anti fascists" - - Winston G Churchill

ask me questions
http://www.formspring.me/arvoreen

Themeiwanttobe

Themeiwanttobe

Member - 1Ker

• 2,269 posts
I didn't even understand that, gravity forced nothing into something?
“I find it awkward to call myself a poet or a writer. If there are no walls there are no names. This is the morning after the dispersion, and the work of the morning is methodology: how to use oneself, and on what. That is my profession. I am an archaeologist of morning."

-Charles Olson

Yves

Yves

Member - 5Ker

• 5,153 posts
Making God unnecessary from a scientific standpoint does not negate His existence; it merely proves what I've said all along: Science cannot prove the existence of God because the physical is self-sufficient and the spiritual is not observable (on a consistent basis).

167l9vq.png

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,"

If nothing exists, meaning there is literally nothing, the physical world does not exist, then how does the force of gravity exist when there is nothing in existence?

AquinasD

AquinasD

Member - 10Ker

• 10,099 posts
Ex nihil gravitas fit? Revolutionary. Either Hawking is really just that terrible of a philosopher, or he's being quoted way out of context. Then again, I haven't heard worse from scientists when they speak on philosophical matters...

But I mean, this just boggles my mind, its such a stupid statement. Honestly, there must be some sort of philosophical retardation to make anyone believe such a thing. I can't wrap my mind around it to even see how it could look like a logical idea. Gravity is nothing? Nothingness is gravity? There was nothing, and then gravity (which we were just ignoring before) made there be something?

My Blog

Sig tagged by your friend Zme!
Here is a tag for you! -Haley<3
Sigtagged--your friend Yves <3

Hey..you..yeah,you...SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS! ^_^ -Becky Boogles

Well, Bryce's answer is the logical one.

cheeseisthenewpurple

cheeseisthenewpurple

Member - 1Ker

• 3,830 posts

Ex nihil gravitas fit? Revolutionary. Either Hawking is really just that terrible of a philosopher, or he's being quoted way out of context. Then again, I haven't heard worse from scientists when they speak on philosophical matters...

But I mean, this just boggles my mind, its such a stupid statement. Honestly, there must be some sort of philosophical retardation to make anyone believe such a thing. I can't wrap my mind around it to even see how it could look like a logical idea. Gravity is nothing? Nothingness is gravity? There was nothing, and then gravity (which we were just ignoring before) made there be something?

Yeah, I believe the whole idea of gravity is that mass bends the space around it, so if there's no mass, there's no bending (under the current theory). Unless he just expects the gravity of nothing to turn inside out and voila, there's some matter, well... yeah. o_O

Visit my Youtube Channel to check out some of the songs I've written or arranged: http://www.youtube.c.../watermintmusic

Posted Image

Seriyan

Seriyan

Member - 1Ker

• 1,024 posts
God has been "unnecessary" for a long time. The only reason this made the news is because Hawking said it.

That being said, I could only hazard a guess as to what he means to say by invoking gravity.
"Will you all die in the name of love?" The question seemed torn from something inside him.
"If we must die, what better reason?"

-The Crippled God

"By this we know that we remain in God, and God remains in us, because he has given us of his spirit."

-1 John 4:13

Zabby

Zabby

CTF Staff

• 14,084 posts

This came from a different article, but even the idea that a scientists said this is rather socking to me: "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist."

I have no earthly ideas how in the world he justifies spontaneous creation from a scientific standpoint considering no where in science does it say something comes from nothing.

There is a trace of You in every alleluia... and it's Your sacred heart within me beating. Your voice within me singing out, for love of You. - Audrey Assad

You're like Lt. Commander Data ^_^

Zabby Has Pointer Approval
-= Yves t'a sig-taggé ^_^ =-
TAG! You're it =D ~Haley<3

CTF married to Yves

AquinasD

AquinasD

Member - 10Ker

• 10,099 posts

Yeah, I believe the whole idea of gravity is that mass bends the space around it, so if there's no mass, there's no bending (under the current theory). Unless he just expects the gravity of nothing to turn inside out and voila, there's some matter, well... yeah. o_O

Even more important, if there's no mass, there's no gravity.

My Blog

Sig tagged by your friend Zme!
Here is a tag for you! -Haley<3
Sigtagged--your friend Yves <3

Hey..you..yeah,you...SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS! ^_^ -Becky Boogles

Well, Bryce's answer is the logical one.

Jakob

Jakob

Member - 10Ker

• 13,638 posts
How post-modern of him.

These people think that because they've written books and have numerous degrees what they say is somehow actually revolutionary or important despite how stupid it sounds.

Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.
-Jonathan Edwards, my mentor, my hero, my friend.

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts

Even more important, if there's no mass, there's no gravity.

I believe this is where Mediclorians come into play.

Themeiwanttobe

Themeiwanttobe

Member - 1Ker

• 2,269 posts
If I were to say this I would be locked in that hug yourself suit in a spongebob room.

I think all the history channel interveiws have gone to his head.
“I find it awkward to call myself a poet or a writer. If there are no walls there are no names. This is the morning after the dispersion, and the work of the morning is methodology: how to use oneself, and on what. That is my profession. I am an archaeologist of morning."

-Charles Olson

WahooPunch

WahooPunch

CTF Staff

• 11,247 posts
So... the universe can create itself 'because there is a law such as gravity'? That doesn't make any sense to me.
And his new book is called "The Grand Design"? But I think that a design needs a designer... o_O
Posted Image

·!¦[· Psalm 91 ·]¦!·

Yves

Yves

Member - 5Ker

• 5,153 posts
Considering the complexity of the science we're dealing with here, I'm not sure we have enough information to condemn his argument x3 You can't refute an argument you don't understand <3

167l9vq.png

clipoftheweek

clipoftheweek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Considering the complexity of the science we're dealing with here, I'm not sure we have enough information to condemn his argument x3 You can't refute an argument you don't understand <3

This x's 100.

Oddly enough this makes sense to me, but then again I have taken college level astronomy which briefly gets into the start of "everything"

Zme

Zme

Member - 1Ker

• 3,359 posts

Yes, I agree, well sort of. I have absolutely no idea how the mere existence of the law of gravity could create matter, but I'm sure that Hawking isn't saying this without reason. What does make no sense however, is his philosophical claim. The law of gravity had to be created (in which case - by whom or what?), or uncreated (which is just as ridiculous as the notion that the universe is uncreated). Basically, Hawking thinks that his discovery negates the First Cause argument, it actually has no impact upon it. It might, however, provide more evidence against the finely tuned argument, but that's not great anyhow.

Themeiwanttobe

Themeiwanttobe

Member - 1Ker

• 2,269 posts
"God may exist, but science could have created life and sustained it."

Stephen Hawking

-Charles Olson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users