Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions about using the Lord's name in vain

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

dreamsofsomeday

dreamsofsomeday

Accomplished Poster

• 373 posts
I have a few questions about using the Lord's name in vain.

1) Did expressions like "Geez" originate from using the Lord's name in vain?
2) Is it okay to use euphemisms, such as "Oh my gosh" in place of using the Lord's name in vain?
3) Is there a more effective way of stopping the habit of using the Lord's name in vain besides just realizing when you do it and trying to correct yourself?
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." ~~Proverbs 16:9

‎"The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” ~~1 Samuel 16:7

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

Yes. "Geez", "Jeez", etc, stem from "Jesus".

2) Is it okay to use euphemisms, such as "Oh my gosh" in place of using the Lord's name in vain?

No. If you use a euphemism, you might as well say the actual word.

3) Is there a more effective way of stopping the habit of using the Lord's name in vain besides just realizing when you do it and trying to correct yourself?

You might try reading "30 Days To Taming Your Tongue" for some advice.
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

The Last Generation Forum!

Ronald

Ronald

Member - 1Ker

• 2,078 posts

Yes. "Geez", "Jeez", etc, stem from "Jesus".

No. If you use a euphemism, you might as well say the actual word.

You might try reading "30 Days To Taming Your Tongue" for some advice.

You're so harsh Ben.

I believe so, I dont say "Geez" for that reason, I usually just sigh or say "ugh."

Phrases like, "oh my gosh" or "oh my goodness" are fine. Even when I want to say just "God" in vain I say "gosh" theres nothing wrong with it, because you're not taking the Lords name in vain.

You dont go to heck if you swear to gosh.

I often say "oh my" and stop there. No one even notices that I do it, so thats a good way... If you're about to say "Oh my God" Just stop at the word "my."

You must also realize what the word "vain" actually means. When God commands us not to use His name in vain, Hes not just talking about certain phrases, what it means is that we cant talk about God or Jesus Christ like they havn't really done anything for us. Nothing they have done for us is in vain, so we dont belittle God by using His name in a phrase that has nothing to do with Him. When we talk of Jesus Christ or God, it is always with respect, hence why it is ok to say "goodness" or "gosh."
Cause I know my God saved the day
And I know His Word never fails
And I know my God made a way for me
Salvation is here

Consider yourself tagged! ~Haley<3

opalecent

opalecent

Member - 1Ker

• 3,600 posts
Another way of interpreting "don't take the Lord's name in vain" is this.

We are called Christians.

Christ-ians.

We've taken His name on us.

If we call ourselves Christians but don't live a Christ-like life, we've taken His name, but done nothing with it - it's been in vain.

Love is a friendship set to music. ~Eli Joseph Cossman
CTF Daughter to teh awesome Foofer and Kirsty!
~~Icexist has my ♥ - right after Jesus~~
*insert something clever here* < That's your signature tag (: Enjoy! ~Haley<3

Guest_FirefromtheEast_*

Guest_FirefromtheEast_*

Something I've never understood is that "God" is not a name - it's a title. If you were to use "Jesus", "Yahweh", "Elohim", etc, then I understand how it applies to the third commandment.

You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Though I suppose if you use "my God" in the expression, I suppose it is the same thing as saying one of the names. Hmm.

Edit: This post is not meant to be an answer of any kind, only a further question about the topic.

WahooPunch

WahooPunch

CTF Staff

• 11,247 posts

1) Possibly. I guess so. I don't say "geez"...
2) 'Oh my gosh' is fine. It's not taking the Lord's name in vain.
3) Thinking before you speak? Making an everyday effort to eliminate certain kinds of speech from casual conversations? Realizing that taking the Lord's name in vain is wrong and that it God commanded us not to do it. Idk.
Posted Image

·!¦[· Psalm 91 ·]¦!·

cheeseisthenewpurple

cheeseisthenewpurple

Member - 1Ker

• 3,830 posts

Another way of interpreting "don't take the Lord's name in vain" is this.

We are called Christians.

Christ-ians.

We've taken His name on us.

If we call ourselves Christians but don't live a Christ-like life, we've taken His name, but done nothing with it - it's been in vain.

Good post.

Visit my Youtube Channel to check out some of the songs I've written or arranged: http://www.youtube.c.../watermintmusic

Posted Image

Hessmix

Hessmix

Member - 1Ker

• 1,737 posts
Just because I have the horrible habit of swearing like a Marine, when I'm controlling myself I try and use phrases like "oh dear lord," or "What in heaven's name." Otherwise I use geez/jeez all the time.

I honestly don't believe that saying geez/jeez is bad, just like I don't believe that saying Crap, Darn, Heck or Dang are bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jebbrook.

Jebbrook.

Member - 1Ker

• 4,343 posts

1) I think that they might have. Language changes pretty quickly, words have trends and go in and out of style just like anything else.
2) I don't see any problem with saying things like, "Oh my goodness" or "Oh my gosh."
3) You really just have to watch what you say. Be conscious of what's coming out of your mouth.
I'm through accepting limits
because someone says they're so.
Too long I've been afraid of
losing love I guess I've lost.
Kiss me goodbye,
I'm defying gravity
and you can't pull me down.
Wicked.

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

When we talk of Jesus Christ or God, it is always with respect, hence why it is ok to say "goodness" or "gosh."

If this were true, it wouldn't be possible to take the Lord's name in vain. "Vain" merely means in a disrespectful, irreverent, foolish or careless manner. In other words, when you use God's name (or an equivalent euphemism) in a manner which isn't addressing Him or being respectful to Him/about Him . . . that's a sin.
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

Atlantis

Atlantis

Member - 1Ker

• 2,742 posts

Something I've never understood is that "God" is not a name - it's a title. If you were to use "Jesus", "Yahweh", "Elohim", etc, then I understand how it applies to the third commandment.

Though I suppose if you use "my God" in the expression, I suppose it is the same thing as saying one of the names. Hmm.

Edit: This post is not meant to be an answer of any kind, only a further question about the topic.

Well, with monotheism, God isn't a title (that's why it's capitalized), it's a name. Because there's only one.

Posted Image
click here to read my 2011 nanowrimo novel

And now you've been sigtagged by me - Zabby

Guest_FirefromtheEast_*

Guest_FirefromtheEast_*

Well, with monotheism, God isn't a title (that's why it's capitalized), it's a name. Because there's only one.

I understand what monotheism is. I am not a polytheist.

My question comes from: if there are so many personal names in the Bible, why is "God" considered an actual name and not a title?

Atlantis

Atlantis

Member - 1Ker

• 2,742 posts

I understand what monotheism is. I am not a polytheist.

My question comes from: if there are so many personal names in the Bible, why is "God" considered an actual name and not a title?

I don't mean to make you feel squirmy, like I said in chat. =O Now I feel mean.

I suppose the distinction, though, is with Hebrew names specifically. All of those personal names are just ways of restating just who He is. Hebrew names are put in place for their meaning not for the sake of calling someone something. People in the ancient days used to spend a lot of time and energy choosing the right name for their child. This is also why Abram and Sarai's names were changed when they entered the covenant and why Jesus's name was hand-picked by God. For the Hebrews, a name was a big deal.

Looking at all the many "personal names" of God in the scriptures, they are really just expressions of his personality and not actually names in our modern sense of understanding. Like "I AM"-- it expresses the fact that God is raw existence. So God becomes just another modern expression of this personality-- another way of saying "El Shaddai" or "Adonai". It becomes a name.

Hm... this is difficult to explain....

Posted Image

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
The "Lords name" is YHWH. The Jewish people did not pronounce this sacred name and was instead replaced with Hashem (meaning The Name. Jewish people still say Hashem today, and many Christians, including myself, avoid saying God's name). It isn't just "God." God is a title, not a name. Using His name, YHWH, carelessly and in vain, is the danger.

That said, using Jesus' name in the same manner is wrong as well.

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

GOODNESS! WE'RE PLATONIC SOULMATES!

Awww, can I resist tagging you? Here. U haz tag noa.- TheBeckehMod

Hessmix

Hessmix

Member - 1Ker

• 1,737 posts

The "Lords name" is YHWH. The Jewish people did not pronounce this sacred name and was instead replaced with Hashem (meaning The Name. Jewish people still say Hashem today, and many Christians, including myself, avoid saying God's name). It isn't just "God." God is a title, not a name. Using His name, YHWH, carelessly and in vain, is the danger.

That said, using Jesus' name in the same manner is wrong as well.

I have to completely disagree. God is another one of his names.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
My point was, the name they were forbidden to take in vain wasn't God. It was YHWH.

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

I have to completely disagree. God is another one of his names.

Technically, Selah is right. "God" is just a term for "Deity". However, we do use it to refer specifically to Yahweh. So, it would seem to count as term for our Lord, regardless of its origins.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I don't mean to make you feel squirmy, like I said in chat. =O Now I feel mean.

I suppose the distinction, though, is with Hebrew names specifically. All of those personal names are just ways of restating just who He is. Hebrew names are put in place for their meaning not for the sake of calling someone something. People in the ancient days used to spend a lot of time and energy choosing the right name for their child. This is also why Abram and Sarai's names were changed when they entered the covenant and why Jesus's name was hand-picked by God. For the Hebrews, a name was a big deal.

Looking at all the many "personal names" of God in the scriptures, they are really just expressions of his personality and not actually names in our modern sense of understanding. Like "I AM"-- it expresses the fact that God is raw existence. So God becomes just another modern expression of this personality-- another way of saying "El Shaddai" or "Adonai". It becomes a name.

Hm... this is difficult to explain....

Actually, "I AM" would be more like "The Self-Existent One". Although, the gist about Hebrew names is true. Perhaps this means English names and the like are . . . somewhat inaccurate?

Atlantis

Atlantis

Member - 1Ker

• 2,742 posts

Actually, "I AM" would be more like "The Self-Existent One".

I'd say it means both and much, much more. :)

Posted Image

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
I might add that taking His name in vain can also refer to using it in a prideful manner that gives glory to self rather than to God.

That's what bugs me about people using God's actual name, as if they can say it and use it no problem. It's downright disrespectful. It's not just another name; it's the name of the Most High God. Yet I so many times see people just throw it around as if they were talking about their buddy or their dog.

colinisreptar

colinisreptar

Member - 1Ker

• 1,187 posts
I do no think euphemisms are the same as taking the Lord's name in vain. Words actually mean something. God does not mean the same thing as gosh and gosh does not mean God. The two are totally separate words with totally different meanings (gosh doesn't even have one as far as I'm aware).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users