Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about fortune-telling and the Bible

- - - - - answer evil fortune magic question witchcraft

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog

Member - 1Ker

• 3,458 posts
Okay, so... I know we're not supposed to, as Christians, delve into the dark arts of witchcraft and evil things of the like.

So, I was sitting here thinking about this... Is getting your fortune told by a fortune teller a sin? That goes for fortune cookies, too. Is it a sin to believe what they say?

(Just for the record, I only half believe in fortune cookies. Because those fortunes were written by human hands. And humans can put whatever they want on a tiny slip of paper and stick it into a cookie... =P)
[SIGPIC]http://i222.photobuc...slandbreeze.jpg[/SIGPIC] ...And this time, it's real...
<3
He's everything I ever wanted...

don't cry, fly....sorry it sounded cool in my head - swampfox

*~CTF's Official Island Girl~* "...If the phone's for me, you can tell 'em I just sailed away...!!!!"

I always say one half of my brain is evil, the other is nice, and one part is flowing with stupid. *-* - Me

lyle

lyle

Accomplished Poster

• 353 posts
Yeah there's some scripture which pretty much states you shouldn't get involved with all that stuff. And I'm 100% certain fortune-telling is part of it.

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

Okay, so... I know we're not supposed to, as Christians, delve into the dark arts of witchcraft and evil things of the like.

So, I was sitting here thinking about this... Is getting your fortune told by a fortune teller a sin? That goes for fortune cookies, too. Is it a sin to believe what they say?

A fortune-teller attempts to know your future without the aid or instruction of God--it is part and parcel with similar activities, like witchcraft, sorcery, divination, etc. Even though the Occult does have some power (i.e. sometimes your fortune can be told, if God so allows), its authority does not stem from God, and having your fortune cast, read, told, etc, is a sin.

Fortune cookies however, are not the same as fortune-telling. There's no magic in a fortune cookie (and they aren't even Chinese). The sin there would be structuring your life around a fortune cookie instead of God. They're interesting novelties, but far too vague.
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

The Last Generation Forum!

JoshuaPopper

JoshuaPopper

Member - 1Ker

• 2,585 posts
I think that it's all a load of hocus-pocus. I wouldn't take it seriously at all, but it can be good fun to play around with fortune cookies or ouija boards.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max Power @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IHOP has a university? That means the following conversation might one day happen!

Joe: Hey Bob, what was your major in college?
Bob: Waffles.

Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog

Member - 1Ker

• 3,458 posts
Okay, thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciate it.
[SIGPIC]http://i222.photobuc...slandbreeze.jpg[/SIGPIC] ...And this time, it's real...
<3
He's everything I ever wanted...

don't cry, fly....sorry it sounded cool in my head - swampfox

*~CTF's Official Island Girl~* "...If the phone's for me, you can tell 'em I just sailed away...!!!!"

I always say one half of my brain is evil, the other is nice, and one part is flowing with stupid. *-* - Me

j3sus1uvzu

j3sus1uvzu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Maybe God can talk to you even with fortune telling. I do not think it is bad just scary a bit.

dreamsofsomeday

dreamsofsomeday

Accomplished Poster

• 373 posts
"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 18:10-13

"So Saul died for his breach of faith. He broke faith with the Lord in that he did not keep the command of the Lord, and also consulted a medium, seeking guidance. He did not seek guidance from the Lord. Therefore the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse." 1 Chronicles 10:13-14
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." ~~Proverbs 16:9

‎"The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” ~~1 Samuel 16:7

Jarrax Volk

Jarrax Volk

Member - 5Ker

• 5,428 posts

Maybe God can talk to you even with fortune telling. I do not think it is bad just scary a bit.

Oh, make no mistake: God can indeed communicate by using the Occult. He did so by allowing necromancy to work when Saul asked a witch to bring up the spirit of Samuel the prophet. Well, that time, it worked--and God, through Samuel, told Saul that he was doomed.

However, even though God can communicate through the Occult if He chooses, the fact remains that He has prohibited it--so using it, having your fortune told, etc are all still sins.
"In the beginning was the Logic, and the Logic was with God, and the Logic was God." ~ Gordon H. Clark

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton

CTF Husband to Blacknight17, CTF Dad to Carlisle-Wolf, Precious, Stars and ran1078, CTF Brother to HaleyGirl16 and Boogles, CTF Brother-In-Law to ShieldOfFaith, and CTF Uncle to WahooPunch!

The Last Generation Forum!

lyle

lyle

Accomplished Poster

• 353 posts

I think that it's all a load of hocus-pocus. I wouldn't take it seriously at all, but it can be good fun to play around with fortune cookies or ouija boards.

Are you serious?!
My step-father once took part in a ouija board session. One of his mates became, what seemed to be possessed, by a ghost (demon in my eyes). He became increasingly hostile and aggressive until all his mates had to throw punches at him to try and defuse the situation. Now from that experience, which may I add is 100% true, I would definitelynotclass ouiji boards as hocus pocus. Those things are all serious issues which, if messed around with, can be extremely dangerous. Satan's not kind you know..

WahooPunch

WahooPunch

CTF Staff

• 11,256 posts
Fortune-tellers? The Bible strongly condemns mediums, palm-readers, and psychics because they dabble in the occult (Lev 20:27, Deut 18:10-13 are only a few verses that talk about it). So, nobody should mess with that stuff.

Fortune cookies? Those are just yummy and have nice quotes in 'em! (:

·!¦[· Psalm 91 ·]¦!·

Myth

Myth

Accomplished Poster

• 342 posts
'All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.' - Catechism of the Catholic Church

This makes enough sense. ^ In other words, the occult and astrology and whatnot would be just another form of idolatry, in the sense that you'd be putting all the trust that is due to God on false "gods," thus building false hopes and separating yourself from the One that can give you true hope. Only God is omniscient, not your palms or some plastic tarot cards or a mere human being like you and me who claims to have such divine powers. Not to mention that wanting to know the future is something pretty arrogant.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.'

Coker

Coker

Experienced Fellow

• 200 posts

I hope you're kidding. After coming from the thread were you trashed some spirit-filled pastors for not having a college education in theology, I was very surprised to come read this. Surely you can tell us all about the theology behind not getting involved in the Devil's counterfeits such as ouija boards.

Yes, it is bad. Demons, if anything, are behind fortune telling. And demons, as we all know, are bad.

"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 18:10-13

"So Saul died for his breach of faith. He broke faith with the Lord in that he did not keep the command of the Lord, and also consulted a medium, seeking guidance. He did not seek guidance from the Lord. Therefore the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse." 1 Chronicles 10:13-14

Some very nice Scriptural quotes indeed. Obviously, fortune telling isn't "hocus-pocus" and it isn't good.

Oh, make no mistake: God can indeed communicate by using the Occult. He did so by allowing necromancy to work when Saul asked a witch to bring up the spirit of Samuel the prophet. Well, that time, it worked--and God, through Samuel, told Saul that he was doomed.

However, even though God can communicate through the Occult if He chooses, the fact remains that He has prohibited it--so using it, having your fortune told, etc are all still sins.

Right on.

'All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.' - Catechism of the Catholic Church

This makes enough sense. ^ In other words, the occult and astrology and whatnot would be just another form of idolatry, in the sense that you'd be putting all the trust that is due to God on false "gods," thus building false hopes and separating yourself from the One that can give you true hope. Only God is omniscient, not your palms or some plastic tarot cards or a mere human being like you and me who claims to have such divine powers. Not to mention that wanting to know the future is something pretty arrogant.

While most CTF users aren't Catholic, the Catechism is definitely right in this area. Though I have to disagree that astrology is simply a form of idolatry. Witchcraft is real, real in the sense that Satan has created a counterfeit of God's spiritual gifts and passes them off as the real thing. Engaging in such things puts you in bondage to Satan, and being on the other side, facing God, is not a fun place to be.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.JusThink.net

Tyro Of Sarcalogos

Tyro Of Sarcalogos

Member - 1Ker

• 3,354 posts

i dont suggest EVER dealing with a ouija board

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand"

Isaiah 41:10(ESV)

CTF married to Precious!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: answer, evil, fortune, magic, question, witchcraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users