Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crude Dress and Such

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

AngryAgnostic

AngryAgnostic

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am an Agnostic, And for this reason I have questions about christiantity. Let me explain where I come from first...
I was raised as a christian but I thought a lot about science and philosphy and slowly branched away from being a christian. Without offending anyone, I will say this... I saw a lot of things in the bible that science has proof of that the bible cannot prove.

So how does a christain explain the many things that science can explain that the bible cannot? What is the reason? And also...

Why do some christians think it is wrong to wear Jeans, Tee Shirts, And skirts?

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts

I am an Agnostic, And for this reason I have questions about christiantity. Let me explain where I come from first...
I was raised as a christian but I thought a lot about science and philosphy and slowly branched away from being a christian. Without offending anyone, I will say this... I saw a lot of things in the bible that science has proof of that the bible cannot prove.

So how does a christain explain the many things that science can explain that the bible cannot? What is the reason? And also...

How do we explain that science can prove things that science cannot? The explanations are self evident, science is the method we go about to find answers that deal with the natural world around us, this is not the intent of the Bible, to act as some sort of nature handbook. The Bible doesn't need to explain things that are scientific in nature, thats not the point; it is for spiritual edification and not to learn random scientific facts and concepts, that's what textbooks are for. Science can explain how things are the way they are, but science cannot explain the why or if there is even a why at all, that is what philosophy and religion are for attempts to provide explanation of value and meaning to things that we encounter.

Some Christians think its wrong because it goes against their conception of modesty, I disagree with their views, because the defitinion of modesty changes over time. Back in the time of Jesus it was immodest for a woman to not have their head covered, and yet these very same Christians that decry jeans and such certainly don't advocate women wearing head coverings. So modesty is an evolving concept, the principle is to not dress yourself in such a way that you are tempting people to look at you lustfully and simply see you as an object for their viewing pleasure.

Jay

Jay

Accomplished Poster

• 477 posts

The Bible isn't meant to explain science, it's meant to be a philosophical, inspirational piece of religious text. Same goes with any other religious texts: it's about the religion, not science or political issues or whatever else.

Probably because they don't enjoy thinking about what it really means to do wrong or right. I haven't met any Christians with this view personally, but I would suspect they are in a preconventional stage in regards to morality. If they are already adults, there's probably little chance of them opening their minds and discovering themselves, God, and the world in some harmonious fashion.

I read theology like I eat bread, which ironically means I put myself in areas where I have to think real hard all of the time.

CTF married to my beloved Ocean. May our tides never part. <3
Thanks for the J theme song, Anthony!

lonehunter65

lonehunter65

Member - Wise One

• 661 posts

I can really relate to you there man. I went through something very similar. But I did some investigating and found out that the Bible is actually very scientifically accurate. If there is anything at all you want to address on this please shoot me a message!

The problem is that our culture paints it like there is a giant war between science and religion. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Science and religion work together.

They don't understand our freedom of Christ. Trust me, there is a lot of crazy Christians out there. You don't have to agree with every Christian to be one. Believe me, I don't.

Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Experienced Fellow

• 163 posts
Galileo said once that "the Bible doesn't tell of how the heavens go, but how man can go to heaven," overall the Scriptures are not scientific. Also know that the Bible was not written with 21st Century science in mind. It was written way back when in the midst of a polytheistic culture (Ancient Near East).

Does the Bible have correct science in it? yes, but it was never the focus. Many stories and many parts use mythology in it. Did you know there is a psalm about the pagan gods bowing down before Yahweh? It doesn't mean that these gods actually exist. Many things that seem "unscientific" are used for a reason, and it is best to say "what reason is this in here?"
21 Fire tests the purity of silver and gold,
but a person is tested by being praised (Proverbs 27:21)
6 So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)

tomato18

tomato18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For me the bible is very accurate in science, it tells facts about science thousand of years ago, before man actually discovers it. One example is that the earth is round and hanging into nothing. It is written long time ago, where then everybody believes that its flat.

The Bible also speaks of God as “hanging the earth upon nothing,” or he “suspends earth in the void,” according to The New English Bible. (Job 26:7)

Another example we can consider is that the earth’s waters undergo a cyclic motion called the water cycle, or the hydrologic cycle. Put simply, water evaporates from the sea, forms clouds, precipitates onto the land, and eventually returns to the sea. The oldest surviving non-Biblical references to this cycle are from the fourth century B.C.E. However, Biblical statements predate that by hundreds of years. For example, in the 11th century B.C.E., King Solomon of Israel wrote: “All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place from which the rivers come, to there and from there they return again.”—Ecclesiastes 1:7, The Amplified Bible.

PurplePaint

PurplePaint

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've questioned the Bible, too. I've thought to myself, "This book was written a gazillion years ago, how can it be relevant to today's issues?"
It's hard because science doesn't always explain why something is the way it is. (I.e. Why do only Blacks get sickle-cell anemia?) I mean I think science is a great tool, and without it we wouldn't be around for long. Regarding evolution, I believe that God created us but I still question the animals. Did Noah really get 2 of every beetle species on the ark? Ehh, I don't think so. I think they have evolve to live in their environments because the Earth is always changing. (Pangea, natural disasters, global warming, etc.)

As far as some Christians who oppose wearing jeans, t-shirts, and skirts, etc. I don't really know. I think people should dress modestly. (I.e. not have their chest hang out or something very tight to show their silhouette)

HumbleBeast

HumbleBeast

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
First i would like to say i love the way everyone responded to this post, no negativity towards the creator.

Next, I would like to say that the reason why many people believe science rather than the bible is because we as humans wanted answers NOW. And since God does not reveal all at once, we got impatient. Now note, we NEED science to help explain the things God created so we can understand what NOT to do (like lighting a tree on fire). Hence looking AT science not looking TO science. I believe the bible because of all what God has done for me. God does not lie, he's always to his word, and if created the word, then i will believe it. The Bible is the only book you can apply your whole life to and always get positive results.

Lastly, If i just came to God because of physical evidence then i wouldn't be coming to Him For Him--for his love, mercy, grace. Those are all things that are not physical, or rather cant be proven with numbers. That's why he wants us to have faith IN him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users