Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My friend wants to run away from home and live in a homeless shelter, what can I do?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dreamer11

Dreamer11

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My friend and I are both Christians, and both seventeen years old. I don't know him extremely well yet, but he opens up to me and we have had in depth conversations. Recently he told me that he is thinking about running away and living in a homeless shelter, because he can't stand to live at home. As far as I know there isn't any domestic abuse, but he has a lot of family issues that I don't know in great detail. He is extremely smart so I don't know what I can say to get him to change his mind, as he's probably thought through all his options already. He is still planning on attending university in the fall. I'm just worried about him doing this, even though he says it will give him new perspective and experience. He won't even be 18 when he does this, and it can be dangerous for anyone to live on the streets, let alone a kid on his own. I want to be supportive of him and a good friend, and I just don't know what I can say or do. I'm going to lunch with him tomorrow so I'll learn more about his family situation then and try and talk it through with him. Is it a really bad idea for him to live in a shelter, or am I overreacting? What could I do to help?

Wesker

Wesker

Member - 1Ker

• 4,057 posts
Is it possible for him to come live with your family, at least temporarily?
ScrutonSignature_zps3922fdef.jpg

“We believe that if the argument for equality has merit, it does so because it protects difference. Equality used to allow those who differ not to subsume themselves under another's identity but to claim equity for their distinction and the State's protection in maintaining and even defending it. Now, however, equality is being used to erase difference, destroy institutional distinction and remove proper and plural provision for different groups, faiths and organisations. ... What is needed here is equity that respects difference not equality that destroys it.” 

— Roger Scruton

Zhouburn

Zhouburn

Member - 1Ker

• 3,578 posts
My brother currently lives in a homeless shelter. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Can't he just wait it out til he goes to College?

CTF Married to Moon&&Stars

CTF Twin of Will_Power

Hessmix

Hessmix

Member - 1Ker

• 1,737 posts
To be blunt, if he was smart he wouldn't consider running away from home.

He should get a job put a down payment on an apartment and get the heck out. Easier said then done I know but life is tough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts
Let him. I doubt he'll last long at a homeless shelter, and then he'll just come back.
Quiet you!

mintchocochip

mintchocochip

Member - 1Ker

• 1,202 posts

To be blunt, if he was smart he wouldn't consider running away from home.

This is like... really awful, you know. Because I know people who are intelligent and were stuck in bad situations and the best thing for them was to leave. That didn't make them any less smart, it was just the best option for them. Also, in some situations the abuse is not apparent, it could be emotional abuse..

But... I don't know if you're I'm the situation correctly, OP. I'm confused: who runs away to a homeless shelter? The proper thing is to first run away from home, and then seek refuge in a homeless shelter. I mean, that's the logical thing. You have to be homeless to be in a homeless shelter, right? True; there are in between shelters/charities for homeless youth, at least where i live, which are more for kids who have been kicked out of their home, have addictions, bad family life or whatnot. Your friend would probably fit better in one of these places, where they assist kids in finishing their education, securing jobs and starting their own lives.

Even better would be to find a family for him to stay with, whether your family, some of your relatives, your parent's friends, a family at your church, etc... Look at all your options and above all support and help your friend rather than encourage him to stay in a situation which is hurting him because that is possibly the worst thing you can do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've found most atheistic writing to be very unintelligent. They're full of facts

Hessmix

Hessmix

Member - 1Ker

• 1,737 posts

This is like... really awful, you know. Because I know people who are intelligent and were stuck in bad situations and the best thing for them was to leave. That didn't make them any less smart, it was just the best option for them. Also, in some situations the abuse is not apparent, it could be emotional abuse..

When he has the the out of going to College in the fall all he has to do is tough it out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mintchocochip

mintchocochip

Member - 1Ker

• 1,202 posts

When he has the the out of going to College in the fall all he has to do is tough it out.

Toughing it out doesn't always work. Especially in cases of abuse, as I mentioned earlier. OP hasn't really revealed his friend's circumstances, and it is always better to err on the side of caution.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've found most atheistic writing to be very unintelligent. They're full of facts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users