Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pro-life youth arrested outside school and held in jail for 24 hours

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Craigsnedeker

Craigsnedeker

Member - 1Ker

• 1,057 posts

JACKSON, March 8, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Two pro-life advocates who were arrested and held in jail for 24 hours while peacefully demonstrating outside a high school in Mississippi say they were told by police that they were detained simply because they were talking about abortion.

The two women, Kristina Garza and Brianna Baxter, were demonstrating peacefully Monday afternoon outside Murrah High School in Jackson, Mississippi. Members of the Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust Campus Life Team, they were attempting to educate students about abortion using pro-life literature and graphic signs that depict aborted babies at various gestational stages, beginning at nine weeks.

The group, which is composed of seven members including Baxter and Garza, was confronted by campus police officers and told they couldn’t stand on the sidewalk outside the school.

Garza told LifeSiteNews that the group was given inconsistent information by different officers. While some asserted that the sidewalk belonged to the school, others did not want to say that the pro-life activists were actually breaking the law.

“We could not get a straight story whatsoever,” she said. “It was obvious it was a public sidewalk. There was a fire hydrant. There were city sewers.”

Students were sequestered into the school and apparently prohibited from talking to the pro-lifers. As they walked by to board their bus, several students reportedly told the group that they could not speak with them because they were afraid of being suspended.

When Garza and her team members eventually left, they were told by police that if they came back, they would be arrested. “We asked him what law we would be breaking, and he said, ‘just don’t come back,’” she related.

An attorney contacted the school the following day to ask what law the pro-lifers would be breaking if they returned. School officials acknowledged that the sidewalk was public property, but reiterated, without citing any law, that the demonstrators could not return.

Father Frank Pavone, National Director of Priests for Life, denounced the arrests, saying: “Those who are persecuting these brave young pro-life activists are cowards, and a good example of what is wrong in our culture today.

http://www.lifesiten...il-for-24-hours

Wow..
When people ask me “well how do you explain this? How can you prove this?” I don’t have to prove it to you, all I have to do is wait till reality proves it for me.
Again, you nay sayers can go head and mock, ridicule, but for those of us who knew what were looking at, after studying and researching this, based on our understanding of how they operate, we knew in our hearts, and still know.

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts
MIA: Habeas Corpus & 1st Amendment

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts

Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust Campus Life Team

It's like they WANT people to not take them seriously.
Quiet you!

Wesker

Wesker

Member - 1Ker

• 3,812 posts
Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust Campus Life Team, that name tickles me.
“We have never preached violence, except the violence of love, which left Christ nailed to a cross, the violence that we must each do to ourselves to overcome our selfishness and such cruel inequalities among us. The violence we preach is not the violence of the sword, the violence of hatred. It is the violence of love, of brotherhood,the violence that wills to beat weapons into sickles for work.” 

— Óscar Romero

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts
It just fails as a name on every possible level.

It's way to long to be memerable.
It's not even slightly catchy.
It's hugely offensive to actual Holocaust Survivors.
It makes them look like jerks.

Seriously, what were they thinking. Just call yourself Campus Pro-life like the rest of them, and then disband because seriously, everyone is sick of this.
Quiet you!

JAG

JAG

Member - 10Ker

• 12,144 posts
Why are you using ad hominem attacks? Who cares what the name of the group is, this is a matter of 1st amendment rights.
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."
- C.S. Lewis -

Wesker

Wesker

Member - 1Ker

• 3,812 posts

Why are you using ad hominem attacks? Who cares what the name of the group is, this is a matter of 1st amendment rights.

Since we all know that these people's first amendment rights were violated, what else is there to talk about?
“We have never preached violence, except the violence of love, which left Christ nailed to a cross, the violence that we must each do to ourselves to overcome our selfishness and such cruel inequalities among us. The violence we preach is not the violence of the sword, the violence of hatred. It is the violence of love, of brotherhood,the violence that wills to beat weapons into sickles for work.” 

— Óscar Romero

Yoda

Yoda

CTF Staff

• 16,865 posts
^^I'm pleasantly surprised you acknowledge this.

This is unfortunate news, but I'm not entirely surprised.

"God is light; and in Him there is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)

Yoda is an awesome light saber wielding administrator whom I now have the honor of siggy tagging! ~HaleyGirl16<3

Visit my Youtube Channel || Reasonable Faith

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts
I'm actually not so sure that there actually was any infringement of their first ammendment rights. Looking for a real news source on this I only found a local affiliate, and they mentioned something about interfering with a school bus, but didn't realy give any details.
Quiet you!

Wesker

Wesker

Member - 1Ker

• 3,812 posts

^^I'm pleasantly surprised you acknowledge this.

This is unfortunate news, but I'm not entirely surprised.

Was that directed at me? :unsure:

— Óscar Romero

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts
Also, my earlier comments were not ad hominem, as I was not in anyway attacking their ideas. I was only attacking their name.

I could easily attack their ideas, but you know what I'm going to say, I know what you're going to say, so lets skip the abortion debate today.
Quiet you!

Zhouburn

Zhouburn

Member - 1Ker

• 3,531 posts
Whoa. When I first read this topic my heart skipped a beat because I have a friend that hosted a Pro-life rally in Jackson not too long ago.

CTF Married to Moon&&Stars

CTF Twin of Will_Power

JAG

JAG

Member - 10Ker

• 12,144 posts

Also, my earlier comments were not ad hominem, as I was not in anyway attacking their ideas. I was only attacking their name.

I could easily attack their ideas, but you know what I'm going to say, I know what you're going to say, so lets skip the abortion debate today.

That's the point. You marginalize their ideas by simply attacking them.
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."
- C.S. Lewis -

von

von

Member - Wise One

• 692 posts
Some how I don't think the whole story is being discussed. Every anti-abortion protest I've seen is filled with belligerent people but who knows maybe these two were bucking the trend.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Radical Edward

Radical Edward

Member - Wise One

• 982 posts
Having recently seen just how biased journalists can be, I'd like to see another article that isn't so blatantly on one sided. I mean, this is a Christian news journal. I don't see any mention of what the policemen said or did other than what these protesters said they said or did. I don't see any mention of even attempting to contact these people. It's all hearsay. "They said this and that." "He said that." "They refused to comment, Garza said." If this website is a legitimate way to get news, why didn't they get the other side of the story from the policemen? The article doesn't have anything from them, just what these girls said they said. I didn't even see a "We attempted to contact such-and-such but got no response" (If I missed that, please show me)

We are getting one, potentially very slanted version of this story. For all we know, they didn't have a permit or something, were told repeatedly to get off the public sidewalk and get a permit, refused because they're "saving babies" and were arrested. But that doesn't "galvanize the pro-life movement" nearly as much as being arrested for preaching the Truth About Abortion.

I'm not saying they're absolutely lying, but I'm going to take what they say with a grain of salt and look for an article that actually attempted to get the story from someone other than the two women waving graphic images of abortions around.

What Would Steve Rogers Do?

CTF Married to Madame Captain. Power Couple.

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) -Pro-Life supporters returned to a Jackson high school Tuesday to spread their message to students.
The California group distributed literature to students before being taken into custody.
Brianna Baxter and Kristina Garza of California were arrested by J.P.S. Campus Enforcement Officers after school officials said they were interfering with a school bus driver and jeopardizing student safety as they handed out Pro-Life literature to students leaving Murrah High School.
It is a charge the two deny.
Earlier members of Survivors of Abortion Holocaust, a California missionary team, passed out pamphlets and held up giant posters of aborted fetuses on the sidewalk in front of the school.
"Yesterday we had Jackson P.D. threaten to arrest us," Garza said. "They said if we came back today, which we are then they would arrest us for standing on the sidewalk and trying to reach out to students."
The demonstrators said their first amendment rights to free speech were violated.
Some parents were shocked that their children were shown the graphic images.
"Minors are being marketed for abortion so we believe that they should know the truth," Garza said. "They deserve to know what they're getting themselves into because we know that teenagers do get pregnant and do have abortions."
"This just shows the extremes that the Pro-Life movement will go to to show up at a high school with inaccurate pictures of aborted fetuses because the pictures they generally show are representative of late term abortions which are not practiced in Mississippi," said Lauri Roberts with Mississippi Women Are Representing, a Pro-Choice organization.
Pro-Life demonstrators disagree.
Jackson Public Schools Interim Superintendent Dr. Jayne Sargent said the school house is not a place for such demonstrations.
"The demonstrators had been contacted in advance and asked not to go on the Murrah campus. Our Campus Enforcement Officers had no recourse but to arrest the demonstrators," Sargent said.
Baxter and Garza were being held at the Hinds County Detention Center.
Survivors of Abortion Holocaust said their next stop is Birmingham, followed by Florida.

Jackson, Mississippi local news WLBT. I forgot to get the link, but this is the full article.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CTF Married to Will_Power

CTF Mother of TJB_GoingintoBattle, Jahsmun trueimage15, Anabeth, zia, Christopherjr, & herbiefullyloaded
CTF Mother-in-law to T.O.W.R, Wesker, & Marley
CTF Daughter of Jehovah'sDaughter
​Highly Honored and Respected by Mark

My Siggy Tags
Haley, you are an Amazing Girl, I am glad that I met you! -Evan
and defininiest my favoritest everrrrrr ~Becky
Secret ninja siggy tag skills - Will
Siggy-tagging is fun~ love Matty

Radical Edward

Radical Edward

Member - Wise One

• 982 posts
Interesting how the previous article said that they were arrested because they were "on school property" or for some mysterious and undoubtedly liberal-agenda-ish reason, while this one says that they were interfering with bus drivers and jeopardizing student safety. I mean, if these charges are as crazy as the two girls want us to think, why isn't it mentioned in the other one?

Anyways, thanks for finding another article, Hayley.

What Would Steve Rogers Do?

CTF Married to Madame Captain. Power Couple.

von

von

Member - Wise One

• 692 posts

Interesting how the previous article said that they were arrested because they were "on school property" or for some mysterious and undoubtedly liberal-agenda-ish reason, while this one says that they were interfering with bus drivers and jeopardizing student safety. I mean, if these charges are as crazy as the two girls want us to think, why isn't it mentioned in the other one?

Of course the story is changing, I mean it would never possibly be the fact these protesters were going above and beyond a peaceful protest and interfering in the flow of things. *facepalm*

These girls were told in simple terms "we don't want this on our campus." they did so anyway, they got arrested - end of story. wouldn't matter if they are pro-life, pro-choice. Also what nonsense of a name to call your group, I'm sure the people who actually died (their family members) in the holocaust really appreciate it.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts

^^No problem

I will say that I think arresting them was a little extreme unless they posed a threat or harm to someone, such as religious or racial slurs, using or showing off weapons, or threatening the school, students, or staff. And I disagree with von's statement that if it was a pro-choice campaign they would have been arrested or asked to leave, simply because people associate pro-life with religion and religion isn't supposed to be allowed on school campuses, where as pro-choice is considered more free thinking and accepting of all people; which is what they push in our public education system.

Also, pictures or a video (which I'm sure some kid with a cellphone/iPod captured pictures and videos) would be beneficial to this article because it's a he said she said thing either way. One is saying they were on the public sidewalk and doing nothing but expressing there first amendment right. One source states that they were handing out material and blocking buses. No one really knows what happened or who is telling the truth. What is there definition of blocking the buses and jeopardizing student's safety? Simply being there? Were they attempting to start a riot among pro-life students? Were they boarding buses or standing in front of them refusing to move? What were the reasons for the arrest and can they be proven or justified? Or was this an attempt to squash a pro-life campaign because of the pro-life movement associated with religion?

If there claim that they were simply occupying the public sidewalk is valid, then there 1st amendment right was violated.
If the claim of the police is valid, then they had at least a basis (however weak) to remove the protesters. I still think that arresting them was extreme.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CTF Married to Will_Power

CTF Mother of TJB_GoingintoBattle, Jahsmun trueimage15, Anabeth, zia, Christopherjr, & herbiefullyloaded
CTF Mother-in-law to T.O.W.R, Wesker, & Marley
CTF Daughter of Jehovah'sDaughter
​Highly Honored and Respected by Mark

My Siggy Tags
Haley, you are an Amazing Girl, I am glad that I met you! -Evan
and defininiest my favoritest everrrrrr ~Becky
Secret ninja siggy tag skills - Will
Siggy-tagging is fun~ love Matty

Craigsnedeker

Craigsnedeker

Member - 1Ker

• 1,057 posts

Finally :3

I'm actually not so sure that there actually was any infringement of their first ammendment rights. Looking for a real news source on this I only found a local affiliate, and they mentioned something about interfering with a school bus, but didn't realy give any details.

They said they didn't interfere with a school bus.

Some how I don't think the whole story is being discussed. Every anti-abortion protest I've seen is filled with belligerent people but who knows maybe these two were bucking the trend.

I'd like to see the 'other' side of the story, but watching the video you'll see that their rights were violated. Even if there is another side it doesn't excuse the cops and school officials for what they did.

I mean, this is a Christian news journal. I don't see any mention of what the policemen said or did other than what these protesters said they said or did.

Did you see the video? One of the cops took their camera, which is illegal because you are allowed to film in public areas, and you are allowed to film cops while on duty.

We are getting one, potentially very slanted version of this story.

yeah

while this one says that they were interfering with bus drivers and jeopardizing student safety. I mean, if these charges are as crazy as the two girls want us to think, why isn't it mentioned in the other one?

It doesn't mean anything unless they say that the kids were doing to jeopardizing safety.. I mean, that's a pretty big thing. That's like waving a gun or speeding though a school zone. I honestly can not see how passing out platelets and showing posters could endanger lives.

Also, pictures or a video (which I'm sure some kid with a cellphone/iPod captured pictures and videos)

The students didn't hang around because they were afraid of getting in trouble... which sounds like they were threatened to stay away if you ask me
When people ask me “well how do you explain this? How can you prove this?” I don’t have to prove it to you, all I have to do is wait till reality proves it for me.
Again, you nay sayers can go head and mock, ridicule, but for those of us who knew what were looking at, after studying and researching this, based on our understanding of how they operate, we knew in our hearts, and still know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users