Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Official CTF Autism Spectrum Disorder Support Group

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts
This is a place for CTF members on the Autism Spectrum Disorder to come and discuss all things autism. Whether it's school troubles, social challenges, new or annoying symptoms, coping with a new diagnosis of autism, problems with relationships, or advice on how to deal with other issues and symptoms related to your autism, this is a place for support, advice, and discussion.

If you don't have autism, this group is still for you. Got a friend who's little brother has autism and does weird things? Ask questions about it. Don't know what autism even is? Come ask questions and learn. Have experience dealing with autistic siblings, friends, or coworkers? Are they driving you crazy because you don't understand their view of the world? Come learn and discuss, or help those of us with autism out better understanding the world around us.

An overview of Autism:

Autism is a life long diagnosis that can be devastating. It effects brain function and impairs communication, social, and cognitive development as well as motor skills. Autism is known as a "spectrum disorder" because no 2 people are effected the same. Symptoms range from very mild to very severe. 1 in 88 people are diagnosed with autism. 1 in 54 are boys and 1 in 252 are girls. A sizable majority of people with autism never speak, and close to 90% have a delay in speech. On top of social and motor skill impairments, people with autism also experience a wide variety of other mental and physical problems, including: OCD, anxiety, depression, epilepsy, fragile X syndrome, sensory processing disorder, gastrointestinal problems, sleep problems, and multiple allergies. Saddest of all, teenagers and young adults with autism are at a highly increased risk to commit suicide because of the constant rejection they face by their peers. The cause of autism is unknown, although many scientists believe a combination of genetics and environmental risk factors, as well as family history, play a role in a small number of cases. There is no cure for autism.

This group is designed as a support group for CTF's autistic members first and foremost. The second purpose is to raise awareness, because awareness leads to better therapies and hopefully a cure for those suffering from autism.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CTF Married to Will_Power

CTF Mother of TJB_GoingintoBattle, Jahsmun trueimage15, Anabeth, zia, Christopherjr, & herbiefullyloaded
CTF Mother-in-law to T.O.W.R, Wesker, & Marley
CTF Daughter of Jehovah'sDaughter
​Highly Honored and Respected by Mark

My Siggy Tags
Haley, you are an Amazing Girl, I am glad that I met you! -Evan
and defininiest my favoritest everrrrrr ~Becky
Secret ninja siggy tag skills - Will
Siggy-tagging is fun~ love Matty

Jahsmun

Jahsmun

Member - 1Ker

• 3,489 posts
I have OCD, anxiety, depression, (apparently this) sensory processing disorder,sleep problems, and multiple allergies. She the reason I was re diagnosed was because I didn't start talking til late and I hate to take speech therapy. I think the saddest part is that there is no cure. It's just one of those things that you'll have to cope with for the rest of your life. I wish I would've been diagnosed before high school because I feel there wouldn't be as much pressure since I would be more "used" to it.

Lift up your head Princess or else the crown falls...small_crown.png
~CTF Mom of NutterButterLove
~CTF Daughter of HaleyGirl16 and Will_Power
~Many other relations...✞

John's Munchkin && TJ's Blowfish
Here is the purple you requested. Anyone who can earn 1000 posts in 1 week, earns a sig-tag in my book. ~Haley
Shh! This isn't Will_Power siggy tagging you...

TheMewster

TheMewster

Experienced Fellow

• 196 posts
I've got Aspergers Syndrome, which is a form of autism. I mainly have trouble associating with people my own age, am a little overly affectionate, and have a low attention span/hyperactive imagination. I have OCD as well, used to have depression, and I think I have ADHD (but then again I am a major hypochondriac, so yeah...)
:angel: In order to get far, you must spread your wings...:angel:He who doesn’t love doesn’t know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:8 WEB

I love my CTF mommy Brooklyn (that I adopted)

Jahsmun

Jahsmun

Member - 1Ker

• 3,489 posts

I've got Aspergers Syndrome, which is a form of autism. I mainly have trouble associating with people my own age, am a little overly affectionate, and have a low attention span/hyperactive imagination. I have OCD as well, used to have depression, and I think I have ADHD (but then again I am a major hypochondriac, so yeah...)

My parents call me a hypocondriac and it drives me crazy, it's like they don't understand. But as well as you do I find it hard to associate with people my own age and I get too attached to people only to have them shatter my heart. I can't concentrate for long and I love my imagination, it's very hyperactive and takes me far away. :)

Here is the purple you requested. Anyone who can earn 1000 posts in 1 week, earns a sig-tag in my book. ~Haley

ComedyMusicHistory

ComedyMusicHistory

Member - 1Ker

• 2,050 posts
I have OCD and other anxiety, but I have found that the food I eat really effects how I feel. When I eat diary I get bad OCD and anxiety for a about day. And when I eat soy sauce, I get bad OCD and anxiety for like 2-5 days. The gut and the brain a vary closely related. For instance my Mom gets depressed when she has gluten/wheat/flour. Btw 90% Americans (probably people other places) are allergic on varying degrees to diary and very few of them even know it. I think so much more rationally and am so much less nervous when I don't eat diary and soy sauce. Everyone is different, but there are different foods (e.g. wheat, diary etc.) that really affects people's brains. I can attest to it. Hope this helped anyone out there who needs it.

mintchocochip

mintchocochip

Member - 1Ker

• 1,202 posts

I have OCD and other anxiety, but I have found that the food I eat really effects how I feel. When I eat diary I get bad OCD and anxiety for a about day. And when I eat soy sauce, I get bad OCD and anxiety for like 2-5 days. The gut and the brain a vary closely related. For instance my Mom gets depressed when she has gluten/wheat/flour. Btw 90% Americans (probably people other places) are allergic on varying degrees to diary and very few of them even know it. I think so much more rationally and am so much less nervous when I don't eat diary and soy sauce. Everyone is different, but there are different foods (e.g. wheat, diary etc.) that really affects people's brains. I can attest to it. Hope this helped anyone out there who needs it.

Have you heard of GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome)?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've found most atheistic writing to be very unintelligent. They're full of facts

ComedyMusicHistory

ComedyMusicHistory

Member - 1Ker

• 2,050 posts
No, I hadn't. I skimmed a few articles about it. I don't know for sure whether I have that or not (probably not), but I do know that on varying degrees some people a lot and others not so much, that the food they eat helps or hurts their brain stability. Serotonin (it's because of Serotonin imbalances inside a person's brain that they are born with the tendency or develop OCD) (Btw it's a brain chemical). Anyway back to the point Serotonin imbalanced by consuming diary, wheat, and sugar. I found out through a natural doctor that wheat doesn't bother my brain, and I'm not nervous when I eat wheat either. But Serotonin is balanced by vegetables, fish oils, vitamins, and minerals. Thank you though! I mean my brain is bothered if I eat certain food, but they say people often get it after eating disorders and other stuff that has to do with a hard childhood. Which I've never had eating disorder or a rough childhood. If you don't mind my asking, do you have any Autistic/Anxiety/Depression disorder?

P.S. Sorry if my grammar was a bit sloppy.

guru03

guru03

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I have high functioning autism, and it's a roller coaster. Sometimes, I'm glad I have it- other times I hate it. But if I were given the chance for a cure, I'd say no.

Jahsmun

Jahsmun

Member - 1Ker

• 3,489 posts
It is quite a roller coaster. I was just talking to someone about it earlier. I've learned to accept that it's me and no one is normal. I hate it, the way it makes me act and such but I love that it makes me unique. :)

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts
My Journey (so far) Living Life on the Spectrum:

-I've had multiple allergies and stomach trouble since I was a baby (6-9 months old)
-I've been in physical therapy twice for motor skill delays & to help my coordination
-In my almost 19 & 1/2 years, I've slept completely through the night on a normal schedule the equivalent of about 5 years.
-I've never been in a Special Education classroom, always mainstream classes. 5th-12th grade was spent in the gifted program and honors classes.
-In October 2009, right before I turned 16, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is considered to be on the "high functioning" end of the spectrum.
-At the same time I was diagnosed with OCD, Sensory Processing Disorder, & depression.
-I've overcome the depression for a little over 2ish years now & the OCD is almost completely under control.
-I'm not on any type of medication to manage my symptoms. They tried me on anti-depressants. I was allergic -_-
-Last year I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, which I'm still working to completely overcome.
-Because of my later in life diagnosis, I missed all of the early intervention that could have helped my social skills and the few developmental delays that I've had.

Currently, the Social Anxiety Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, motor skill & coordination problems, and social skills problems are my biggest struggles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CTF Mother of TJB_GoingintoBattle, Jahsmun trueimage15, Anabeth, zia, Christopherjr, & herbiefullyloaded

My Siggy Tags

Jakob

Jakob

Member - 10Ker

• 13,701 posts
Some speculate I have mild Aspergers.

AnneMary

AnneMary

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I have Asperger's Syndrome, alone with a whole bunch of co-morbid neurological/physical conditions such as Sensory Integration Disorder, asthma, and more allergies than I can count. I'm also recovering from anxiety/depression. I've been diagnosed and then un-diagnosed with a couple of other things like Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

My younger sister has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Delay Not Otherwise Specified, the cover-all diagnosis for things that might be autism or Asperger's but aren't quite), SID, CAPD, asthma, and a whole bunch of allergies. There was something else, too, that I can't remember the name of.

My father has been diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism, SID, CAPD, and facial blindness. He's tone-deaf, too, but you can't get diagnosed with that...

My mother is completely neuro-typical. I reckon this makes her the 'abnormal' one, but she disagrees. Her brother and father both have Asperger's.

My main problem is the sensory integration thing. It's like my ears have been made too sensitive... I hear EVERYTHING. It's really annoying. But I don't think that other people DON'T hear things - it's that most background noises are processed by the subconscious mind and never actually come to your attention, just the important stuff does. It's not like that for me - everything has to be processed consciously. That means I find it difficult to concentrate if it's noisy (or even if other people don't think it's noisy but I can hear the clock, the fridge, the computer, the cars, the train, and the chickens, not to mention the TV in the next room and the three other people in this room I'm trying to have a conversation with). It also means that I can get 'overloaded' really easily - I get a backlog of stuff to process and I've got to go somewhere dark and quite for a bit so I can. The weird thing is that I mightn't have registered a sound or conversation when it happens, but when I'm 'processing' it, I hear it like it's in my ears right then. But my sister's the opposite with the noise things - maybe her ears aren't sensitive enough or something, I don't know, but she's always craving sensory input, so she makes a lot of noise and touches stuff.

Hmm... I'm talking too much. Does anyone else have Sensory Integration Disorder, too? What do you find most difficult about living with it or ASD?

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts

It's like my ears have been made too sensitive... I hear EVERYTHING. It's really annoying. But I don't think that other people DON'T hear things - it's that most background noises are processed by the subconscious mind and never actually come to your attention, just the important stuff does. It's not like that for me - everything has to be processed consciously. That means I find it difficult to concentrate if it's noisy (or even if other people don't think it's noisy but I can hear the clock, the fridge, the computer, the cars, the train, and the chickens, not to mention the TV in the next room and the three other people in this room I'm trying to have a conversation with). It also means that I can get 'overloaded' really easily - I get a backlog of stuff to process and I've got to go somewhere dark and quite for a bit so I can. The weird thing is that I mightn't have registered a sound or conversation when it happens, but when I'm 'processing' it, I hear it like it's in my ears right then. Does anyone else have Sensory Integration Disorder, too?

Someone who understands my world. I too have Sensory Processing Disorder (same as SID). Mine is hyper sensitivity to sound, light, and touch (although the touch thing is mostly texture of food and clothes and such for me not so much being touched or hugged). It's one of the most annoying struggles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Siggy Tags

Jahsmun

Jahsmun

Member - 1Ker

• 3,489 posts
I completely understand the touch, taste and light thing.

How's life Jahs?

-Horrible.

Is it because the autism and such?

-Don't know.

arwen

arwen

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Finally, someone else with SID. Touch, taste, smell, sound; they're all super-heightened. You know what I hate? Rubbing. Someone rubbing me--ACCKK! Seeing other people rub each other, even the sound makes me want to throw up. Even without sound. Just imagining the sound and feel. Ick. And nail files. And loud things. And dark chocolate--NASTY, at least to me. Tomatoes, and most veggies--I can't stomach them. Maybe that's why I'm so unhealthy, LOL.

But having Asperger's is hard. It's hard to interact with other teens. I can get along quite well with people several years younger or several years older than me, but people my age, yeah right. I feel so much more mature than them, but at the same time, I feel so much more immature. They're "street smart", and I'm not. They're tall and thin and grown-up looking, and I'm not. And--this is what I love--I know so many random, mostly useless facts and like to read big books and stuff, and they don't. That's how I handle the outcastness, knowing that I know stuff they don't know and don't care about. Which, of course, is probably very snobby, but that's how I cope with being alone.

Anyone else have a problem with eating? I love to eat. Food is good, especially meat and chips and sweets. I'm hoping there'll be food in heaven. If there is, there wouldn't be meat; but I'm hoping that maybe there could be some Star-Trek-y stuff: you know, replicated synthetic meat that tastes and looks and feels and smells like meat, but is really just molecules put together in a certain way. So anyway I love to eat, but not the right things, you know? And most teens have ridiculously high metabolisms, so they eat junk stuff all the time but just burn it right off. But I think I have the stupidest, slowest metabolism in the world. I think I burn next to nothing. That might be OK if I were, I don't know, a caveman or something, but I'm not, so...not cool, body. Not. Cool.

I'm talking way too much. Sorry. LOL.

Jahsmun

Jahsmun

Member - 1Ker

• 3,489 posts
I have a problem with not eating? :P

Oh my, someone touched me at school today. I had no clue who he was but he just comes up and places both hands on my shoulders. I had like a mini panic attack. I totally freaked out, even though it didn't seem bad. I hate being touched, no, you just don't do that.

guru03

guru03

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I feel exactly that way...

RoseyPosey9

RoseyPosey9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My oldest brother, Elijah, has Autism.
John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, I am the Resurrection and the Life! He who believes in Me, though he die, yet he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users