Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

College is Terrible

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Dr. BaconStein

Dr. BaconStein

Experienced Fellow

• 241 posts
- Impossible to make it on time. It cannot be done.
- Professors talk a mile a minute leaving you with no coherent method of taking notes
- Papers get bad grades if you don't agree with what the professor is saying
- Nothing but obnoxious couples, thugs, and stoners flooding the halls of every building
- Professors try to shove their political agenda down your throat, no matter how flawed it is
- Lopsided grading system leaves you failing if you even miss one assignment
- Half of required courses have NOTHING to do with your major
- Expected to "bend over and take it" for just about anything

Remind me again why I'm doing this. It's a miracle I haven't hanged myself yet, and I do not say that in jest.

I almost forgot. It is impossible to make connections in a 2-year commuter school. Nobody is ever on campus, and once the semester is over, you will never see them again, ever.

ColdWarKids

ColdWarKids

Member - 1Ker

• 4,122 posts
Honestly, it's not for everyone and college does kind of suck sometimes/most of the time, and it's even worse when you have to hear everyone go on and on about how great of a time they're having. If it's to the point of actual suicidal thoughts I'm telling you, see a counselor, switch schools, take time off, or just work instead. I tend to be in the minority in regards to how I feel about college but I genuinely despise how people make it seem like it's everything. Don't worry about disappointing your parents, don't worry about not having the degree that everyone seems to think you need. You're young and need to get things worked out if you can't handle school right now, and that's okay

This is all coming from someone who considers dropping out daily, take it or leave it. Oh and I commute too. It's not a commuter school but I don't really have friends. I know it sucks. Lots of internet hugs for you.

Madame Captain

Madame Captain

Member - 5Ker

• 5,528 posts
Welcome to the real world.

Pointer

Pointer

Member - 5Ker

• 6,351 posts
I've been in college for four and a half years. Three of those were at a community college, and the last year and half have been at a larger state school that is coupled to the community college. My experience has been pretty different from yours. In fact, it seems to have been dramatically different.

I don't see how it's impossible to make it to class on time. I did it with no problem for the last four years. Now I'm sure I have a different life-schedule than you do, but for me it was a basic math problem:
--It takes me 50 minutes to drive to school
--It takes me 10 minutes to walk from the parking lot to most of the classrooms

So I leave my house with 70 minutes to spare. That leaves me +/- 10 minutes to deal with unexpected traffic. I can't remember ever being grossly or consistently late. In fact, I'm rather notorious for arriving early. Also, if you have multiple classes in one day, at the most, you should only be late for the first class. What's your excuse for being late when you're already on campus and you need to only walk from one room to another? Granted, you might live on an extremely large campus with large distances between rooms and little time slots, but for most community colleges I don't think this is the case.

- Professors talk a mile a minute leaving you with no coherent method of taking notes

I'm not a spectacular note taker, but I did write a lot of things down. I filled notebooks for almost every class, and studied the textbooks quite a bit. I don't remember any of my professors being unintelligible, except for one who didn't speak english natively. Yeah, I needed the textbook a lot on that one.

This *might* happen on opinion papers, but in my experience (and I majored in business) there are few opinion papers around. Most of it is fact, analysis, etc.. You might have a program like public policy or art, where opinion is entered into a lot, but there are few opinions when it comes to maths, sciences, and other 'fact based' subjects. So, I don't see how you could be suffering from horrible grades with those kinds of courses.

- Nothing but obnoxious couples, thugs, and stoners flooding the halls of every building

yeah. I'll agree to this.

- Professors try to shove their political agenda down your throat, no matter how flawed it is

I highly doubt you have the political spectrum I do. I go to school in Ithaca, New York. Ithaca is *known* for it's progressive, hippie, liberal, artistic expression and drug-exploration type venues. It is the where the generation of Grateful Dead concert-goers went after they left the communes. Talk about political agenda! So yes, I've seen this to some extent. Yet again, in most fact based subjects, it's not that easy. I've never had any of my professors push "liberal math" down my throat.

You might be blessed with some unusually tough professors, but in my experience, I've almost always felt the grading was fair. There's a few cases where I questioned it, but as long as I kept my grade up throughout the entire course, it never hurt me too bad.

Yeah. This happens. I first majored in web design, then business. Guess who has 3 art classes to his name? this guy. Also literature and some other boring things. But it's called "gen ed" and you gotta have it. Yes it's busy work, yeah the college is using it to profit off your state and federal aid. But once you got them out of the way, the rest is fun.

--

Overall, all I can tell you is, someone else has it harder than you. I'm graduating next year (for LIIIFE!) and I've had to do a lot of course work. I didn't like it all, but I had to buckle down and do it. I know that other kids in other classes are out there pulling late-night studies, all nighters, etc... I never had to do that, and I'm thankful for it. Hang in there! Community college really isn't that hard! Keep up with the work, don't be a procrastinator, and you'll be fine.

-Chad

... your signature was so boring! Don't worry tho, I fixed it for you with this pretty purple tag! You can thank me later! ~Haley<3

Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Remind me again why I'm doing this. It's a miracle I haven't hanged myself yet, and I do not say that in jest.

I almost forgot. It is impossible to make connections in a 2-year commuter school. Nobody is ever on campus, and once the semester is over, you will never see them again, ever.

Sorry, man. That sound bad.

My universtiy experience has been great so far. It's all about time management. If you can master that, it all gets a lot easier.

But as someone else said, it can be an eye opener to the real world.
Yes, I am Australian. And no, I don't ride a kangaroo. Cool people ride emus.

Xtremesports1

Xtremesports1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry to hear your experience has been bad. I am a freshman in college now, and have had pretty good experiences here so far, met some awesome people on Campus. If you really want to go to college, maybe look for a smaller school if you can.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

opalecent

opalecent

Member - 1Ker

• 3,600 posts
I've had an excellent experience in college. It could just be the atmosphere of that particular school. Have you contemplated going to a smaller college?

Also, generals SUCK. When you get into smaller, major-specific classes, they get much more useful and interesting.

Love is a friendship set to music. ~Eli Joseph Cossman
CTF Daughter to teh awesome Foofer and Kirsty!
~~Icexist has my ♥ - right after Jesus~~
*insert something clever here* < That's your signature tag (: Enjoy! ~Haley<3

Zabby

Zabby

CTF Staff

• 14,138 posts
Why does everyone here suggest a smaller college when the OP goes to a community college (about as small as you can get)? I'd recommend trying to transfer to a bigger college. I've gone to a large university for 3 years and I love it. If you're miserable in college, try to transfer into a different one instead of just dropping out. Not everyone makes the right choice the first time.

There is a trace of You in every alleluia... and it's Your sacred heart within me beating. Your voice within me singing out, for love of You. - Audrey Assad

You're like Lt. Commander Data ^_^

Zabby Has Pointer Approval
-= Yves t'a sig-taggé ^_^ =-
TAG! You're it =D ~Haley<3

CTF married to Yves

T.O.W.R.

T.O.W.R.

Member - 5Ker

• 6,063 posts

Why does everyone here suggest a smaller college when the OP goes to a community college (about as small as you can get)? I'd recommend trying to transfer to a bigger college. I've gone to a large university for 3 years and I love it. If you're miserable in college, try to transfer into a different one instead of just dropping out. Not everyone makes the right choice the first time.

Le Admin has spoken Le truth.

I'm not even in college but Zabby has had the best point in my opinion.

But sorry for the troubles mate. I pray it gets better.

gif_401x300_e2c894_zps6d1a204a.gif?t=140

"And all the little kiddos can stay here... except tk cause he's the bomb dot com." - Marley

Max Power

Max Power

Member - 1Ker

• 1,706 posts
I have an hour and a quarter commute, and 8 a.m. classes. It's not that hard to get to school on time.

The thing about failing after one assignment is how things work. At my school it's an automatic fail to not turn in assignments. The solution is to do your work. Why wouldn't you if your paying thousands of dollars. You must be a joy in group work.
Quiet you!

opalecent

opalecent

Member - 1Ker

• 3,600 posts
He might be talking about in between classes. Some of my professors have let me out with as few as 2 minutes left til my next class, where my next class is across campus and however I go (bike, walk, drive) I get there about 3 minutes late.

The solution to that is simply setting the clock in the offending professor's classroom ahead by the amount they let you out late.

Love is a friendship set to music. ~Eli Joseph Cossman
CTF Daughter to teh awesome Foofer and Kirsty!
~~Icexist has my ♥ - right after Jesus~~
*insert something clever here* < That's your signature tag (: Enjoy! ~Haley<3

Dr. BaconStein

Dr. BaconStein

Experienced Fellow

• 241 posts
College is the greatest weapon of mass destruction ever created

Next to abortion clinics I guess

Marley

Marley

Member - 1Ker

• 2,762 posts
Hmm I'm with Zabby on this one. Commuter schools (which, most community college fall under that banner) can be kinda difficult just because you really don't have that sense of community as much. I've found that a lot of what ruined my sophmore year (freshman year I was at a smaller school, but I did live on campus) was that I just didn't get out and meet people, so I lacked that sense of community. In retrospect, I would have taken lighter loads in my first year and actually gotten a social life, as much for my sanity as anything. As for having proffesors that shove their agenda down your throat, I haven't noticed it much (though, with the exception of the military academies, I'm probably at the most conservative school in the U.S.) but honestly, sometimes you just have to play the game.

Good luck, I hope your experience gets better.

san-antonio-spurs__400x3001-1ywyoz2.jpg
GO SPURS GO!

Happily Married to the Wonderful TJB_GoingIntoBattle
Mother of T.O.W.R. and Guitarman
and possibly a few more I'm forgetting
Owner of Horse-Katy

And John (Wesker) is my CTF Gal-Pal

Crimson Truth

Crimson Truth

Experienced Fellow

• 164 posts

Sounds to me like you're just an awful student. Sorry bud :baghead:. I don't think size is the problem. I think you either need to look for a school where you can build community (somewhere close), move to a school (costly, I know :/) or just drop out. Honestly though, if a community college is that tough for you, I'd consider changing majors or finding something entirely different.

As for this comment, my local community college has the same number of students as my university. Since the programs are 2 years long rather than 4, that's twice the enrollment every year. Sorry but I wouldn't assume that you've said is true unless the OP gives us more details..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Join the battle, feel free to add this to your sig.

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts

Hey Dr. I've been there and been in worse situations, believe me.

I went to a two year commuter school and it was pretty bad because, this 2 year school had a lot of people from other High Schools in the area, other High Schools...EXCEPT mine. So I was put in a situation where a lot of other people knew each other and had friends from day one whereas I did not. Moreover, I don't drive so I had to get dropped off by one of my parents every morning and I couldn't leave until one of them was able to pick me up. I'd spend countless hours in the library alone at a table doing whatever just waiting.

I eventually met people, I wouldn't call them friends, but acquaintances it was very depressing and sadly I learned to live with it and decided to focus on the future instead of living in the moment. I worked harder than I did in High School and hoped to transfer after two years, and I did. I wish I could say things turned out better but they didn't, and in many ways things are worse, but I'm not letting myself get beaten down over it. I will endure and persevere. There have been times where I totally regretted going to college at all, and still question it sometimes, but in the end, in spite of all of the suffering of which there has been much, I truly do believe that I have learned a lot more about myself then I ever could have hoped to in the past few years, I've improved in a lot of ways as well; sometimes you need to get tempered in a smoldering fire before you are at the refined point you need to be at.

That is how I've viewed my experience, and in spite of all the waste, feeling I've wasted years that are supposed to be my best years. But I've come to the conclusion that my own story is exactly that; my own story. I am not going to live a life that every other college age kid is. It wasn't my path to go directly to my dream school out of HS into a 4 year college, have a nice Dorm life with great roommates. As much as I would have liked that to be the case it wasn't the case, and I can lament that forever, in fact I've lamented that for a long time, but now is the time for me to take control, and I'd advise you to do the same. Life won't bring you happiness on its own, in fact it will do the opposite, it will beat happiness out of you and replace hope with despair, but don't let it. Find redemption in one thing and you can find redemption in anything, no matter how awful and depressing your routine may be.

If there is something I have now, that my peers don't. It's that I've been initiated into the real world. Most of my classmates have never faced an enduring adversity like this, when you literally face years of trial, hopelessness, and disappointment. And at this point I feel like there is nothing life can throw my way that will be the end of me. And that is something better learned young than old, many of my peers are going to graduate, having had the time of their lives at college, they are going to graduate, many of them won't find jobs, they will go home to live with mom and dad again and they will see old HS class mates getting on with life, getting jobs, and they will begin to suffer as a matter of status in life, and perhaps I'll be in the same situation as them when I graduate, but the difference is, such a situation cannot phase me like it will phase them, I'm ready for life's next punch where others are not.

I will pray for you and hope you find what you need to find to endure with purpose.

Dr. BaconStein

Dr. BaconStein

Experienced Fellow

• 241 posts
I am resurrecting this thread to say I have come to a conclusion. I've realized that I'm not making anybody happy by trying to please everyone. It just feels like a big act to me, everything seems so counterfeit. I realize that I'm not fooling myself by acting like everything is okay, when it's not. This is not how I imagined "higher" education to be. The whole "college experience" just seems like a myth to get more students to enroll.

I realize, for once, that instead of pushing me closer to my desired goals and dreams, college (or at least the one I am in) is pulling me away from them, and away from God. For years I have been trying to force myself to do the work thinking that if I got it done, it would be pleasing to God, and that it was His plan for me to attend my current school. Now I'm thinking that maybe it was never His plan, and just my parents trying to relive their own college experience through me.

On one hand I feel deeply saddened, as for a while I even had myself fooled, but this just isn't what I want to do, and I at least feel some closure knowing that I've finally come to terms with myself. College really is terrible, it always has been and probably always will be. It would be silly to try and convince myself otherwise. I want to depart from the college I am currently in and either:

-Go to art school (what I wanted to do in the first place)
-Go to Bible college (at least they will give me practical advice instead of 'because you just have to' advice)
-Work on my own personal projects + get a job of some sort (I've been doing this anyway)

But I don't know how to tell my parents. They seem to tune out almost everything I have to say. I feel as though I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now. Either go to college and continue to perform poorly due to lack of interest, or actually express myself for once, which will probably result in them disowning me. It's sad that I can't trust them to accept my decisions, and I don't really know what to do from here. I want to tell them, but I'm afraid of how they'll respond. Does anyone have any advice?

(Oh and just as a disclaimer, if you're going to say something idiotic like "get over it" or "it's just you" or "it's your fault", you can go over to the Jerkwad Teen Forums down the hall. We're here to build each other up, not tear each other down, and at least a good half of the responses here so far have been borderline personal attacks from people who know nothing about me.)

Zabby

Zabby

CTF Staff

• 14,138 posts
I commend you on your decision. College is not for everyone. My only recommendation is that if you are honestly concerned with your parents disowning you or being kicked out of your house, try to have a logical back-up plan before they tell you. Try to secure a friend's place to live at if it becomes an problem, and try to get a job, preferably full time, so that you can support yourself. If your parents won't support you, save up enough and have the educational experience you want.

I'm praying for you.

There is a trace of You in every alleluia... and it's Your sacred heart within me beating. Your voice within me singing out, for love of You. - Audrey Assad

You're like Lt. Commander Data ^_^

Zabby Has Pointer Approval
-= Yves t'a sig-taggé ^_^ =-
TAG! You're it =D ~Haley<3

CTF married to Yves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users