Sign in to follow this  
caringo

problemo

ok, i'll try to keep this short.

i joined a christian homeschool group last school year. its really cool, and theres lots of opportunites for homeschooled kids that arent able to do what normal kids can...but i noticed that alot of the "christian" kids, many who are my friends...well, you can't really tell the difference between them and non-Christians. i mean, they cuss (not usually too bad, but they use the Lord's name in vain and a couple of the "milder" cuss words), they gossip ALOT, disobey their parents often, and other things like that...

anyways, lately ive been concerned about one of the girls my age. recently she went to a camp and said her life was turned around and she wants to follow Jesus, but...i haven't really noticed any outward difference. she still openly uses God's name in vain, along with some other notsogreat words, and she's still one of the more...prominent gossipers. recently i brought this up as i was talking to her, and told her i was concerned(i made sure that she knew i wasnt being "holier than thou", i told her about three times), because i noticed that her outward appearance was not one of a born-again Christian. she replied with "we all have our faults, so do you" and "people always gossip about me, which makes me mad, and so i start cursing". she even told me that some people in this homeschool group thought i was a hypocrite because i tell people not to do stuff and then i turn around and do it (she was talking about flirting, but i dont really flirt at all). well, at the end of the convo, i thought we were good, but apparently, i was wrong..my guy friend, who's also her friend, called me the next day and told me that she had called him after our convo and said i had told her she wasn't a Christian and that i was being all high and mighty and all this stuff...so now, she doesn't talk to me in person or on IM or anything..before this, we weren't best friends, but we were friendly towards each other, but now i feel like i might have ruined my friendship with her and with her other friends who i'm sure she told all this to...

does anyone have any advice? cuz ive never really been in this situation and i don't know what to do...

in my opinion...she knows your right and just doesn't want to admit it...thts what several people do...it just takes time :)

I have no problem with cussing-so I wouldn't use that as a median of 'you aren't acting like a Christian'.

But, aside that, I do see what you're saying. Anyhow, being a homeschooler, I know that homeschoolers are (usually) VERY different people. This isn't a debate on homeschooling. Usually, they are just trying to fit in with the public school crowd-trying to be the same. I'm not stereotyping homeschoolers here-or atleast not trying to. But my point is, I wouldn't really worry about it as she is just trying to be like her friends. Its about fitting in with the 'normal' crowd. You've talked to her about it, there's really nothing more you can or should do.

I have no problem with cussing-so I wouldn't use that as a median of 'you aren't acting like a Christian'.[/b]

really? hmm...cuz i think saying "oh my god" its a pretty unChristian thing to do...but maybe that's not what you're talking about. ?

really? hmm...cuz i think saying "oh my god" its a pretty unChristian thing to do...but maybe that's not what you're talking about. ?[/b]

Oh My God, or Oh God, or God, Jesus Christ, Jesus etc...are all forms of taking the name of the Lord in vain, thus a violation of the commandments. But other words-I won't bother listing I'm sure you can imagine, are just 'run of the mill' cuss words, and I see no Biblical evidence against them in the Bible. (lets not start yet another debate)

So you say that their is nothing in the Bible that warns us about 'watching our tounge'? I can think of many scriptures that warn of that:

James 3:2

1 Corinthians 14:9

Job 38:2

Proverbs 29:20

Proverbs 10:19

Ecclesiastes 5:3

Ecclesiastes 10:12-14

Proverbs 6:2

Just to name a few. My personal list has 25 scripture quotes that warn us about choosing our words wisely. My faviorate though and the one that is most applicable here is: Proverbs chapter 18

Caringo, take a look at Proverbs chapter 18. It may help you. Bringing this up with your friend was the right thing for you to do, its called accountability. We as Christians are to keep each other accountable. The Bible warns us of all the things that you noticed in your friend and what you did was to hold her accountable.

If our faith is new, as her's is, then we usually are not use to being held accountable and tend to push away from it. Give her time. You might not see it yourself, but if she did accept Jesus as her savior then the Holy Spirit will work with her on this. You did your part as a Christian, let the Holy Spirit take it from here.

I'm proud of you for standing up and speaking out to her. Many Christians just accept this as 'normal' because of our culture. I wish more young people would do what you did.