• Anarcha-feminism
    • Radical feminism
    • Post-structural feminism
    • Postmodern feminism
    • Moderate feminism
    • Cultural feminism
    • Other
    • I do not consider myself a feminist

I'm rather egalitarian. I voted Essentialist Feminism because it sounded like a sane position amidst a list of crazy, overthought hooplah.

Men and women are different, but equally as "good" (if one were inclined to label entire halves of the population in such finite terms). Any indication that one gender/race/etc. is inherently better than another leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The problem with "feminists" is that they think they speak for all women (usually regarding controversial issues like abortion) when they don't. It's sort of like the Westboro Baptist Church, or the Black Panther party. Or Peta.

Thank you for speaking for all feminists on what we think. This is a *complete* lie.

Because it's only sexism if it offends women

It's only racism if it offends non-whites

Seriously? COME ON.

I understand most of our disagreements, but what's the issue here? How is considering one sex superior to the other any better than, say for a better comparison, saying one race is superior to another?

Because it's not "the same" as misogyny in any social context.

I believe the comment as rather tongue-in-cheek in the first place, but one person saying they think women are better than men (a position not advocated by feminism, by the way) may not be the most sensible in the world but they certainly are not tantamount to the societal position of women im even recent history

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

No gender is better or higher than the other. The end. Stupid people feel free to disagree :D

Hence feminism :)

The problem with "feminists" is that they think they speak for all women (usually regarding controversial issues like abortion) when they don't. It's sort of like the Westboro Baptist Church, or the Black Panther party. Or Peta.

I've heard feminism being compared to naziism, Stalinism, communism and "totalitarian woman utopia" but the Black Panther Party is a first, so kudos on that

Katy's reaction to the other comment is sufficient enough for me...

Not all feminists are pro-choice. The first feminists in the 1800s were very pro-life. Even in the 1920s they were pro-life. Yes, those American women who sought suffrage had a pro-life platform. You can read all of their quotes http://www.feministsforlife.org/history/. Of course most of the media isn't going to tell the world this.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

I prefer the term egalitarian to feminist. They technically mean the same thing, but feminist currently has a more negative meaning. If I lived before the 1970s I would use feminist. I believe that everyone should be treated equal under the law. And we should try to end violence against our fellow humans. Whether female or male.

Thank you for speaking for all feminists on what we think. This is a *complete* lie.
I'm glad you said that. Now go prove it by not acting like a defense attorney for every female on this board.

Or by not flipping out and crying "sexist" and whining about the Patriarchy™ the next time someone disagrees with you.

I'm glad you said that. Now go prove it by not acting like a defense attorney for every female on this board.

Or by not flipping out and crying "sexist" and whining about the Patriarchy™ the next time someone disagrees with you.

Well I don't do either of those things anyway, so I'm glad I've fulfilled those criteria.

I'm passionate about what I believe in; I wouldn't dedicate my time/effort/money to what I do if that weren't the case. That passion is expressed vocally. If that's something you are unhappy with, you are at complete liberty not to read my posts.

I am very confused as to why this has been made personal.

Well I don't do either of those things anyway, so I'm glad I've fulfilled those criteria.
Yes, you do.
I am very confused as to why this has been made personal.
Don't change the subject. We are having a discussion. I made a point and you chose to be offended by it. If what I'm saying offends you, that's fine - you have every right to leave. Don't make stupid remarks and then expect not to be called out on them. This isn't the first time you've done this.

Yes, you do.

Don't change the subject. We are having a discussion. I made a point and you chose to be offended by it. If what I'm saying offends you, that's fine - you have every right to leave. Don't make stupid remarks and then expect not to be called out on them. This isn't the first time you've done this.

I'm sorry, but calling someone out like this is personal. What's your vendetta against Katy when she is not th only one who has expressed similar opinions here? You're not letting any fruitful discussion run its course by being overly brash and antagonistic, then complaining that fruitful discussion can not happen...

I'm sorry, but calling someone out like this is personal.
Sorry, I didn't know having a healthy debate was against the rules.

I've been "called out" in numerous threads, usually by the same users every time, and I've never seen them get strikes for it.

What's your vendetta against Katy when she is not th only one who has expressed similar opinions here? You're not letting any fruitful discussion run its course by being overly brash and antagonistic, then complaining that fruitful discussion can not happen...
Then how about instead of backseat modding, you contribute to the so-called fruitful discussion? Oh wait, there is none.

I guess it's only "fruitful" if everyone agrees with you, right?

Grumpy Admin Time:

grumpy.jpg

Guys, seriously, everyone here is entitled to their own opinion. Please try to be respectful of each other or else the topic will get closed and all those involved will get infractions.

Sorry, I didn't know having a healthy debate was against the rules.

Then have a healthy debate. Discuss feminism. Discuss what you disagree with.

Generalising all feminists under a banner and then taking issue with one particular forum member who defends that notion isn't "healthy debate". Criticising someone and then sticking 'this isn't the first time you've done this' isn't "healthy debate". 'Whining' and 'Crying' aren't encouraging "healthy debate".

Entering a thread and criticising feminism isn't "healthy debate".

I guess it's only "fruitful" if everyone agrees with you, right?

Game set and match to you buddy!!!

My thread, my poor, innocently intended thread )= *pats it on the head* Can we please keep this as a discussion and not a debate? i.e. ask the other to explain their reasoning to better understand and not try to prove yours over theirs. Everytime you do a baby hedgehog cries.

God's curse on Eve has come far :whistle:...

Care to clarify? I don't understand your post :confused:

DO NOT MESS

WITH KATY

OR ELSE

Also, I voted other since my kind of feminism involves making white, middle-and-up class cismen pay more for cakes than everyone else.

o3o

See. This is why I'm nervous about employers/customers coming back and figuring out that I'm associated with this account.

You batch of gesticulating nigglwommies.

I believe in equality for everyone regardless of gender.
And you voted "I do not consider myself a feminist"? :glare:

I believe everyone is equal gays, Jews, blacks, women and people of other faiths.

So minorities are equal to the majority? Because that's the only relation I see between all the groups you've listed.

Everyone should be treated and respected the same way.

That's feminism in a nutshell but there are different ones, for example a lot of members voted for equality feminism which is different to the other popular choice of essentialist. Both say they are equal but essentialist says that women are fundementally different (outside of our physiology) than men, whereas equality feminism doesn't :) As wiki states, "Equality feminists believe that both men and women, while biologically and anatomically different, enter the world with the genetic inheritance of a mother and a father and from that respect, human nature is androgynous, neutral, and equal". This would therefore be against the traditional view of say marriage, where the man is the head of the house because of solely his gender.