NOTE: CTF does not endorse streaming anime or reading scans of manga on the internet. If you do not have access to a specific anime/manga, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to sit out this particular round.

NOTE 2: As both anime and manga are Japanese media, they often glorify and use the occult, witchcraft, demons, and other behaviors that may not seem appropriate or be suitable for all viewers. Please use your own personal judgement and Christian liberty when deciding whether or not it would be good for your Christian walk to join us watching these series.

Hey guys,

A little late, but as promised, I'll be taking the reins on the CTF Anime/Manga society. For those of you who don't know, anime is simply Japanese animation. It's like cartoons in Japan, except that they produce animation for people of all ages while people in the US tend to only produce them for children. Also Manga are graphic novels (think comic books) and they typically work the same way as anime. While you guys are free to discuss manga, I normally prefer anime, and that's what I'll be planning this watching around. So, let's start discussing how this'll work.

As this is CTF, I want to avoid more explicit/violent animes. That'll be rough though because there is so much fan service in anime, and violence comes standard.

As for format I have two ideas because we can't spend our whole time just watching anime.

1) Pick a series, commit to watching one 30-minute episode a day and post your reactions/discussions on the anime. (We'll keep this to anime that are 26 episodes or less so that we don't spend more than a month watching one, although we want to watch a longer one, that's cool.) You are free to watch ahead of the group, but you can't post spoilers in this thread.

2) Pick two movies to watch in a month. We'll discuss the first one in the first two weeks of the month and the second one in the second two weeks. Once again, you are free to watch ahead of the group, but you can't post spoilers in this thread.

3) Pick a long anime (27+ episodes) and we come up with a watching schedule for them.

4) For the future, we can take risks when the new seasons come out and watch the simulcasts that are available various places and try to watch concurrent anime (one episode a week)

So I'm open to suggestions. Things I was thinking of starting out with though:

*For option number one

-> Bamboo Blade - My personal favorite anime of all time. Y'all can hate it, but I still love it. Also all episodes dubed1 and subed2 are available on Funimation online (using a United States IP address)

-> Mushishi - I haven't watched this one all the way through, and it can get pretty dark, so I don't think it would be the best idea right away.

*For option number two:

-> Of course any two Miyazaki movies would be a great way to start this out, but they'll be hard to get ahold of.

*For option three:

-> I would love to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and do a comparison and contrast thing.

-> Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra would be fun even though they're American animation

Those are all my ideas that I'm willing to throw out. I know tons and tons more anime that we could watch. I just don't know how the temperament of CTF is and what we'd want to do as a group. 

1) Dubed means that English voice actors re-recorded the dialogue in English.

2) Subed means that there are translated subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

I approve of this group. Heartily. 

2) Pick two movies to watch in a month. We'll discuss the first one in the first two weeks of the month and the second one in the second two weeks. Once again, you are free to watch ahead of the group, but you can't post spoilers in this thread.

I like this idea best, although I'm sort of tired of Miyazaki. I'd be interested in hitting up Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Princess, 3 CM Per Second, or something of that basic ilk. Could for for Miyazaki though.

-> Mushishi - I haven't watched this one all the way through, and it can get pretty dark, so I don't think it would be the best idea right away.

Would also really enjoy this.

I like this idea best, although I'm sort of tired of Miyazaki. I'd be interested in hitting up Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Princess, 3 CM Per Second, or something of that basic ilk. Could for for Miyazaki though.

The only reason why I'm hesitant of the movies idea is because most anime is done in a series thing and I feel like, if people are getting their feet wet, movies isn't really a fair introduction, but there are tons of movies that I've never seen, and if everyone knows the anime it comes from, we can also watch movie OVAs. 

You guys should check out RWBY. Its american but its a lot like anime, its new so only 9 episodes are out. Every thursday at 6pm on rooster teeth.

You guys should check out RWBY. Its american but its a lot like anime, its new so only 9 episodes are out. Every thursday at 6pm on rooster teeth.

Ehh... I watch RWBY. It's decent for being the first animation attempt by a small production company, but honestly, I'm hoping to pull things that we can analyze and talk about a little bit more than that. 

Netflix is my main source of Anime, they don't have that many movies to watch when it comes to Anime. Hulu lacks in the Movie department, so I just gotta say that I'm a little against the idea of movies. Maybe later on, when the club is really defined but at first I think we should start with just a good, clean Anime and go from there. Honestly, Ouran Highschool Host Club seems like a great first choice.

In general, options one and three sound the best to me. But I would definetly go for a movie, if I could find it.

I'm really excited about this club though.

Ehh... I watch RWBY. It's decent for being the first animation attempt by a small production company, but honestly, I'm hoping to pull things that we can analyze and talk about a little bit more than that. 

how about reasons I hate that so called best anime called Naruto Shippudden?

how about reasons I hate that so called best anime called Naruto Shippudden?

xD I don't know who calls Shippuden the best anime. I don't even think it's the best Shonen Epic (Boy anime that has over 100 episodes) out there. I vastly prefer One Piece and Fairy Tail, but I imagine we'll stay away from all Epics in this group unless everyone has enough time to marathon 200+ episodes of something o_O

xD I don't know who calls Shippuden the best anime. I don't even think it's the best Shonen Epic (Boy anime that has over 100 episodes) out there. I vastly prefer One Piece and Fairy Tail, but I imagine we'll stay away from all Epics in this group unless everyone has enough time to marathon 200+ episodes of something o_O

what do you think of legend of korra book 2 so far?

HAY!

Naruto isn't that bad. Sure, Shippuden got quite lame quite fast, but the original series had some good stuff. Plus the Manga is better, get rid of all the filler, all of the fight scenes are the right length and we don't get as much time with the annoying characters.

what do you think of legend of korra book 2 so far?

To say it simply. I'm rather disappointed, but I'd rather not derail this entire thread by ranting about that now. Right now, we need to decide the anime watching game-plan. 

The only reason why I'm hesitant of the movies idea is because most anime is done in a series thing and I feel like, if people are getting their feet wet, movies isn't really a fair introduction, but there are tons of movies that I've never seen, and if everyone knows the anime it comes from, we can also watch movie OVAs. 

I've always had the opposite idea, that the vast majority of anime movies are considerably better than anime serials :P

In terms of serials, I love the Ouran Host Club, but isn't a bit ah... girly for our first project?

I've always had the opposite idea, that the vast majority of anime movies are considerably better than anime serials :P

In terms of serials, I love the Ouran Host Club, but isn't a bit ah... girly for our first project?

You have only been exposed to good ones then. Also I don't mean to say that the series are better. I mean to say that they are more ubiquitous than movies.

And yeah... Ouran seems like a poor idea. I wish we could get Abi's opinions on the matter. As I said, I have plenty of anime I'd love to watch. I just don't know how many we can get everyone to agree on and is also CTF appropriate.

I have lists of anime I've been interested in watching and I have plenty that I'd love to revisit. I might end up taking all the suggestions and putting them in a poll later.

You have only been exposed to good ones then

False :o I just like movies better than series ^^ I've seen plenty of bad movies :3c

All ideas are good with me although I couldn't keep up with one a day (right now I have two hours of free time per weekday T_T). As for what will make good watches, Planetes is perfect for a long watch (40 something eps) as it's explicit content free and sci-fi being sci-fi, allows for a lot of discussion on themes. Also it's all about character development and it's not aimed at one particular group so it's all inclusive. Revolutionary Girl Utena would also work really wonderfully :)

For shorter ones then I recommend Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Last Exile, Mushi, Madoka Magica and particularly Kino's Journey, which is just perfect and every episode is it's own unique town with backstory and philosphy.

Maybe with all these decisions we could watch them for say, 5 eps and then see if everyone likes them? Anime is a big time commitment if you hate it :P Also I approve greatly of doing Kon's work for films.

I LOVE last exile. It's been a while since I've seen it but doesn't it have some cult themes to it? Might offend. Then again like I said its been a few years since I watched it. I could be thinking of another.

Any of the gundam series (although long) would be good for mecha.

Folly cooly is also REALLY short but might make for good discussion since its such a crazy show and hard to keep up with. But if I remember right if had sexual themes so maybe not.

death eaters too is good but it's about grim reapers if that offends.

I feel like most anime shows are going to have something that offends tho...

Edited by Sami_jane

All ideas are good with me although I couldn't keep up with one a day (right now I have two hours of free time per weekday T_T). As for what will make good watches, Planetes is perfect for a long watch (40 something eps) as it's explicit content free and sci-fi being sci-fi, allows for a lot of discussion on themes. Also it's all about character development and it's not aimed at one particular group so it's all inclusive. Revolutionary Girl Utena would also work really wonderfully :)

For shorter ones then I recommend Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Last Exile, Mushi, Madoka Magica and particularly Kino's Journey, which is just perfect and every episode is it's own unique town with backstory and philosphy.

Maybe with all these decisions we could watch them for say, 5 eps and then see if everyone likes them? Anime is a big time commitment if you hate it :P Also I approve greatly of doing Kon's work for films.

As per usual, Abi has great suggestions. I swear I'd let you run this thing if you weren't so busy and we know nothing would happen.

As it stands now though, I'm going to rule out all anime that aren't on either Netflix, Hulu, or Crunchyroll for free unless you can provide a legal way of watching it. I know this rules out a lot of really good anime, but I don't want to endorse random website streaming on here, so from your suggestions these are the ones that still stand:

Gankutsuou (Hulu), Last Exile (Netflix/Hulu), Magica Madoka (Crunchyroll/Hulu), Kinos Jounrey (Hulu). I'm going to rule out (no matter how much I adore it) Madoka because of how violent it is. As for the others, I'll make a poll for it and we can decide by October 1st what to do (I know we won't do a scary-themed one, but that's because of the poor timing of creating this group). I'd strongly recommend for everyone to watch the first episodes of the things I'll be making the polls of and that way you have a good sense of the story.

I LOVE last exile. It's been a while since I've seen it but doesn't it have some cult themes to it? Might offend. Then again like I said its been a few years since I watched it. I could be thinking of another.

Any of the gundam series (although long) would be good for mecha.

Folly cooly is also REALLY short but might make for good discussion since its such a crazy show and hard to keep up with. But if I remember right if had sexual themes so maybe not.

death eaters too is good but it's about grim reapers if that offends.

I feel like most anime shows are going to have something that offends tho...

Yeah, that's the thing, most anime will offend people with very strict ideas of what's acceptable in entertainment. I mean, it's made by a country that has a minority of Christians. I don't want to be exclusive, but I'm not going to avoid anime because it deals with death, magic, fantasy, or what have you because then we would be stuck with boring slice-of-life anime and that's it. I might put a warning to that effect at the beginning of the thread just so that people have the heads up.

Also what is death eaters? Do you mean Soul Eater or Death Note or something? I googled it and I couldn't find it, but you could've watched a weird sub and/or know Japanese and that's just a literal translation of something else.

Lol I meant soul eater

. But death note is also good. It's really dynamic i think. Makes you want to root for the bad guy but not at the same time

I got my Harry potter and my anime mixed :P

Edited by Sami_jane

Okay guys, so we've more or less democratically decided to watch Gankutsuou. I'm going to say we'll watch 3 episodes a week, but I'm not going to dictate the exact days you have to watch it. The strict rule is you're allowed to watch ahead, but you can only talk about the episodes we're watching in a given week or earlier ones.

Please alert people in big bold font when you're talking about spoilers. Make people aware in your post what you're talking about. Starting Sunday 10/6 to Sunday 10/13 you'll be allowed to talk about Episodes 1-3 as quickly as you watch them, but try to give plenty of cues to not give things away to people. 

I have already seen the first three eps so hopefully I remember the details right... ¬¬ I'll just write up episode one for now. 

Spoilers for ep1

Sooo, even though I don't know much further ahead, I think we can safely say Albert is going to be a bit of a pain, God love him but he's a bit of a numpty. Chances are this series could be happy happy fun times if everyone just listens to Franz. Hopefully they'll improve his character but I can see myself getting frustrated with him, darn boy be angsty for me.

Oh and yush, this anime is very, very pwerdy :3 I have a soft spot for night-time festivals in anime and this really delivers. I can never quite tell how I feel about the technology in it, there's not much in the way of consistency with what things are retro and what is futuristic.

I do really like the idea of making the anime in Albert's POV instead of the Counte, works much better to ramp up the mystery around the character, particularly seeing Albert is such a wet blanket. Speaking of which, I can't really tell how I feel about the whole trail plot point, while being a bit on the nose it does do a good job of setting up the morality of the show, but surely Albert would just tell him to take a running jump after it? Oh and The Counte's clothes look a fair bit like the get-up in 'Manos: The Hands of Fate' for all ye MST3K fans :P

So yeah, short summary of points but i have Microbiology revision to do. 'Tis a really good introduction for the Count's character and even though the trail scene is a bit on the long side, it's very nicely placed. Hopefully he won't overshadow everyone too much but it's already set itself up for being bit of a downward spiral of misery so I approves greatly.

Episode 1 spoilers and opinion

Okay guys, I just finished watching episode one. I've never read the "source" material, but I've watched a miniseries, but I find myself not really remembering any of this stuff. Blame it on the fact that I watched it in French in high school, but back to anime:

I really liked it. I'm pretty sure the Counte is a vampire alien. There is no other explanation for how he was able to hypnotize Albert like that. Either that or Albert likes him and I picked a horrible first anime for CTF. :P

It was really weird that the guys looked like the Swiss guard. That threw me. I really hope they don't go into the Catholicism thing without understanding anything about Catholicism. That's always annoying.

Umm... In general, I don't have much thoughts. I really liked the execution bit. I thought it was really good at showing the dynamic of the characters. I'm just waiting for stuff to develop more. 

I really liked it. I'm pretty sure the Counte is a vampire alien. There is no other explanation for how he was able to hypnotize Albert like that. Either that or Albert likes him and I picked a horrible first anime for CTF. :P 

Or maybe Albert is just an idiot ^_^ <3 Bless him, he's like a frisky puppy.

It was really weird that the guys looked like the Swiss guard. That threw me. I really hope they don't go into the Catholicism thing without understanding anything about Catholicism. That's always annoying.

I'm four eps in and there's nothing more of them so far :3 If you want awesome Japanese portrayals of Catholicism, watch Chrno Crusade. A monastery of nuns with demon shooting guns yo <3