T.O.W.R.

Fast Food Strike

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/business/economy/wage-strikes-planned-at-fast-food-outlets-in-100-cities.html?_r=0

I'll be bothered if they manage to actually get $15 an hour. A Sergeant First-Class in the Army doesn't even make that much. 

Forgive me if this sounds offensive and biased (well, it is biased) but I don't think those working at a fast food restaurant deserve a wage higher than somebody who has spent the last 15 years in the Military. I think if they want a raise, give it to them, but $15 an hour seems crazy.

Thoughts from you guys?

If Godzilla facepalmed, the facepalm still wouldn't be big enough for this. McDonalds employees can start getting $15 an hour when they start performing utterly flawlessly with bright shining faces and give away leftover food to the hungry. And then I'm not even sure they'd deserve $15 an hour.

Seriously? This is a joke right? $15 an hour? Wow *facepalm* this is ridiculous. And I say that as someone who worked in a fast food restaurant. $8 an hour, even $9. But seriously, $15 an hour? That is insanity. They'll never get it.

Do I think $15 is a little steep? Yes, and no.

Most fast food employees, unless they've been there for awhile, make minimum wage, which is $7.25/hour. The purpose of minumum wage is to set an amount at which one can minimally cover the cost of living. 7.25/hr for 40 hours is only $290.00/week. Take away taxes, and the employee is left with much less than $1000/month. I don't know about where you live, but most apartments around here average around $5-700/month for a one-bedroom apartment. So, minimum wage can barely, and probably not even fully, cover the cost of living for just one person. Then you need to take into account all the single-parents, etc.

With the way prices have gone up exponentially since the last minimum wage raise in 2009, it's easy to see why these people would be a bit upset.

Do I think McDonald's employees should make $15/hr?

Absolutely not, but I do think that the minimum wage should be raised at a federal level as to insure the cost of living is covered. Either that, or lower the prices.

$15 for fast food workers is ridiculous. I don't even make that much as a computer technician. $15 for flipping burgers isn't worth it. 

Absolutely not, but I do think that the minimum wage should be raised at a federal level as to insure the cost of living is covered. Either that, or lower the prices.

The minimum wage rising will cause prices to rise as well. Thus, nothing fixed.

The minimum wage rising will cause prices to rise as well. Thus, nothing fixed.

You're absolutely right, which is why I think this country needs a total government reformation, but that's entirely a different discussion.

You're absolutely right, which is why I think this country needs a total government reformation, but that's entirely a different discussion.

I concur, even though I have no idea what kind of reformation you have in mind. IMHO, our problem is that we have a government designed for people who voluntarily follow Judeo-Christian ethics and morals, yet the American people as a whole have rejected those values and in the process broken and corrupt the system of government. It's like trying to catch fish using a bear trap with a rusty spring.

I concur, even though I have no idea what kind of reformation you have in mind. IMHO, our problem is that we have a government designed for people who voluntarily follow Judeo-Christian ethics and morals, yet the American people as a whole have rejected those values and in the process broken and corrupt the system of government. It's like trying to catch fish using a bear trap with a rusty spring.

Very true, though I don't think that's the major problem of this government and the way it runs. Politics and Religion are not separated, though they definitely should be, as many of our laws  can be traced back to some sort of religious source. Another problem is that our governement genuinely does not care about the people, and does not care about what the people have to say. Things are changing, yes. Just take a look at the marijuana or gay marriage legalization movements, but all-in-all, the governement has pulled the wool over the eyes of America as a whole.

I don't want to get too far off on a tangent, but I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to the government, the way they do things, and the way they run.

As a retail worker, I can understand WHY they want that much. The general populace has this tendency to treat food staff and retail employees a little lower than dog doo. More moolah would make the job seem more worthwhile.  I get it. Buttttt.... it's McDonald's. It's an entry level job. You can't work at an entry level job and expect to get paid big bucks.

You want the big bucks? Use the burger flipping job to save up money for college. Go to college part time while working, get the degree, then get the job that makes the big money. You can't expect McDonald's to serve you money on a silver platter when all they have is plastic forks.

Getting payed $15 an hour at McDonald's is ridiculous. There are jobs that require a college degree that don't make $15 to start with. And when my sister was in college she had two different jobs (at different points in college). They were both at nice, expensive stores, but she made minimum wage (in my state) at the first job and $0.60 (I think) over minimum wage at the second job.

Now, I could understand wanting $8. And $9 little after working there a while. But how could McDonald's even afford to pay their employees $15? It isn't like they sell expensive food. 

More moolah would make the job seem more worthwhile.  

Lol! The word moolah makes me think of Napoleon Dynamite. When Kip's like, "I've been making some sweet moolah with Uncle Rico." I didn't even know it was a word people used.

Lol! The word moolah makes me think of Napoleon Dynamite. When Kip's like, "I've been making some sweet moolah with Uncle Rico." I didn't even know it was a word people used.

I knew currency as Moolah before I knew it as Money.

The only legit reason I've seen a minimum wage above $7.25 is at Chick-Fil-A when they hire the 14 year-olds to teach them the true meaning of working for what you have/want. They got paid around $9 an hour but they could only work 5 hours a week, so it kinda balanced out in a way. 

I remember being so very thrilled when I got a job during my college days that paid me $9 an hour (60 credits of behavioral sciences required). Heck, my current job, one that requires a degree and is dangerous in nature only paid $14 per hour to start. $15 to flip burgers is obscene. Granted minimum wage is too low for someone trying to live off those earnings. So something needs to change.

I don't agree with this either....... I make $10 an hour with a $0.50 differential if my student is in the school during school hours and everyone I talk to who doesn't work where I work thinks I should be getting hazardous pay for what I have to deal with. If I were to walk out of my facility on strike they would wave and say bye and give me my final check and tell me not to reapply. To work there you have to have a minimum of a highschool diploma (which is what I have) but fast food employees don't need that so I think it is doubly rediculous that they get $15 an hour.... if your not happy and can't make it work get a second job. if I have to suppliment my paycheck with odd jobs to make it float so can you.

When I started working for this place I got $8.50 an hour, after 9 months I was given a dollar raise because they raised their minimum wage. for 3 years I made that same amount with no raise because my position didn't warrent one. I now make $10.00 an hour and as long as they don't freeze wages like they did this year I could get at best a $0.10 cent raise. in a few months. oh here is the kicker to add to this when I was making $9.50 I was making less then all new employees because they raised the starting wage but didn't bother to change the existing employees wages because $9.50 is still their minimum.

I went into depth on this because I wanted to show that I know what it is like to struggle and I will be struggling after the first of the year when the mandatory health insurance will be deducted from my paycheck. but that this is the real world and it stinks but we shouldn't make a fuss just because we think we are being treated unfairly because there are people all over the world who would give anything to make $8.00 an hour.

And I just realized that MY union is backing this. My business agent will be getting a strongly worded email momentarily.

And by my union, I mean the overarching parent union. Certainly not the chapter I belong too.

but that this is the real world and it stinks but we shouldn't make a fuss just because we think we are being treated unfairly because there are people all over the world who would give anything to make $8.00 an hour.

I completely disagree with this statement. I think if someone honestly feels that they're being treated unfairly, they SHOULD make a fuss, and they SHOULD stand up for themselves. I know this is completely unrelated, but just look at civil rights, women's rights, etc. Those were people who stood up and made a fuss because they felt that they were being treated unfairly. How do you think laws are changed? Wrongs are made right? Because people stand up for themselves. That statement just really got under my skin, because I know too many people who are wronged and just sit back and take it.

I don't think this strike will end with fast-food employees making $15/hour, but maybe it'll make a difference, and maybe it'll change the minimum wage, and the way people are paid. Who knows?

The sad part is that we have a society with fast food workers. There is absolutely nothing uplifting about working as someone who flips burgers or operates the cash register. All the cashiers I have known cannot wait to go on break. Increasing wages to $15 will not end the alienation, or spiritual depravation, faced by fast food workers. This is why V.I. Lenin balked at the unions. All the unions want is more crumbs from the master's table. If people were truly allowed freedom, I doubt anybody would freely choose mind-numbing labor.

The sad part is that we have a society with fast food workers. There is absolutely nothing uplifting about working as someone who flips burgers or operates the cash register. All the cashiers I have known cannot wait to go on break. Increasing wages to $15 will not end the alienation, or spiritual depravation, faced by fast food workers. This is why V.I. Lenin balked at the unions. All the unions want is more crumbs from the master's table. If people were truly allowed freedom, I doubt anybody would freely choose mind-numbing labor.

Any job can be uplifting with the right perspective, even ones that are objectively dehumanizing (not that I think fast food is among those).

Any job can be uplifting with the right perspective, even ones that are objectively dehumanizing (not that I think fast food is among those).

One can be an uplifted and happy slave, but one is still a slave. This was Marx's criticism of G.W.F. Hegel. Marx insisted that freedom is not merely a subjective-spiritual act but an objective-material act. Though Marx misread Hegel, since absolute idealism insists upon the objectification of the subjective, but the point still remains. The slave must not merely recognize himself or herself as free, s/he must make himself/herself objectively free. 

All unions want is to be heard and treated with fairness and dignity. I <3 my union, even if it's parent is backing something stupid.

And some people would choose mind-numbing labor over a more skilled job. That would those of us that are over-worked, under-paid, and under-appreciated. After risking your own safety for years to serve others with no thanks, no recognition, and no regard for what you do, flipping a burger and waiting on others becomes a rather tempting alternative.

All unions want is to be heard and treated with fairness and dignity. I <3 my union, even if it's parent is backing something stupid.

And some people would choose mind-numbing labor over a more skilled job. That would those of us that are over-worked, under-paid, and under-appreciated. After risking your own safety for years to serve others with no thanks, no recognition, and no regard for what you do, flipping a burger and waiting on others becomes a rather tempting alternative.

I think unions are a necessary counterbalance to capital in a free market economy. I am merely a Communist who thinks we need to end the monstrosity of private property and allow workers to control their own production.