KaitlynRocks

Modesty?

This is what I find most problematic in your whole entire post. Two problems:

1) We are not under the OT Law.

2) Pants are not "man's clothing." They are unisex.

well, i am a pentecostal and what i believe that pants are men clothing and skirts are meant to be for women to wear. But everyone believe in different things. Just wanted to share mine.

i believe that pants are men clothing and skirts are meant to be for women to wear. But everyone believe in different things.

Some beliefs are true and some are false. So can you show from Scripture or solid evidence in another way that pants are exclusively man's clothing? Is this not legalism, elementary principles of the world for which Christ died to set us free?

Great, good to know I was a skanky seven year old with my braided pigtails and gold necklace. 

:P 

See Arab women in their veils? That's Biblical modesty. Culturally, that is how they dressed. There was no talk or jeans or shorts. They didn't wear t-shirts or v-necks. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, to the point of feeling like a broken record:

Your clothing choices reflect your soul.  They are the outward expression of the inward. If the inward is lacking maturity, Christlikeness, or something else, it'll show in the manner of dress.

Do you crave attention? You probably wear bright flashy things and tend to show more skin.

Are you covered in logos and swooshes? you're probably into sports.

Are you more feminine? you may wear more skirts or dresses than pants.

Do you want respect? You probably dress nicely, perhaps a little nicer than others around you.

Are you a Becky? Help yourself to the moon boots and jeggings, you wonderful weirdo.

Are you emo? Well, I'm not sure what your soul needs but Emo kinda died in 2011 so I'm not sure why you haven't moved on to hipster yet... but hey, you do you! 

Modesty is not a clothing issue, it's a soul issue.  People are always griping about clothes, too much clothes, too little clothes, blah blah blah. 

An old MercyMe song says "God's gotta change her heart before He changes her shirt." People are so quick to call someone "immodest" and write them off as hopeless without seeing the soul inside that needs a little more love or maybe just doesn't know any better! 

If your conscience (or mom) isn't screaming at you to change clothes, your reproductive organs are covered well (no moose knuckles or camel toe!) it doesn't look like body paint, isn't transparent and you can move comfortably, you're probably modest.  

I've noticed that everyone's modesty and comfort level is a little different. some feel naked in less than a turtleneck shirt, some feel prudish in more than regular shorts. 

If you feel convicted, change. If you don't and think you maybe should, talk to someone. 

....I read the section  name wrong. I thought this was highschool. wow... my bad yo.

Yes, I agree with what you're saying. I hope you are being sarcastic with the first remark because I definitely do not feel the way that your comment suggests. I was just saying that the Bible instructs us to not wear flashy clothes, and that, yes, it is also a soul issue, which is what I said in my first post on this thread.

Some beliefs are true and some are false. So can you show from Scripture or solid evidence in another way that pants are exclusively man's clothing? Is this not legalism, elementary principles of the world for which Christ died to set us free?

I agree with you. some belief are true and some are false. And I am okay with giving some evidence in what i believe.

I personally believe modesty is in the attitude, not simply the clothing. I quite often go around in crop tops, even bralettes when I'm at festivals and daisy dukes (booty shorts) or mini skirts. In the winter I often where tight fitted jeans or leggings and tight fitted shirts. To Church, I often where long dresses or nice jeans and a blouse.

My personal belief is that yes, the body is a wonderful and sacred gift but the body is not a sexual object, if people have a problem with how I dress they need to look back at their thoughts and reasons for being uncomfortable because it is often that they cannot control their own impure thoughts. I dress so that I am comfortable and happy with how I feel and look because that helps me to be confident and because I am a very introverted person the added confidence helps when I am called to put myself out of my comfort zone and do the Lord's work.

Just as an added point; I have piercings, tattoos, died hair and I am pansexual engaged in a lesbian relationship. No, I'm not your atypical Christian but that doesn't make me any less Christian. Its time to redefine Christian and break the stereo types; so many people I know have so much of what I can almost define as fear of the Christian religion and its time to show them that that's not what we are. We are not the thing of nightmares, of judgement and hatred and segregation. We are open and loving and we welcome all.

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here (first post too) :biggrin:

I know this discussion thread may be old, but topic is still current. I believe it's equally a heart issue as well as revering Him, but more so in terms of honouring Him through respecting the temple where Holy Spirit abides in [your body] (revelational spiritual aspects also ties into this in terms of lust and being a stumbling block to others and so on, which is very surface level as it gets deep). However, it starts with the heart, as revering Him is also an outward proclamation of your love from within. There are many scriptural passages where outwards dressing was touched on which I urge all to research and many of them are not just suggestions but something that is considered an appropriate approach that would also set us apart; as an expectation and commandment (but don't view this in a restrictive and pressuring way as that's not His nature and I know some of them may be outdated or unattainable in today's world, so please use godly discernment on the scriptures I'm referring to). I wasn't planning on writing too much as many of the time it boils down to just having that relationship with Him; to get clarity naturally and gradually through godly discernment and a heart of obedience (not justifying that all convictions are personal as I stand by the fact that we are all meant to be like-minded as One Body (but certain convictions can be personal and again, boils down to the topic and the person's walk). Remember that He understands us more than we think and He knows of our struggles and of today's trends. Trust in His faithfulness and Word, just fall back on Him, that's all. :)

This blog may be of some sort of explanation in terms of the foundational biblical principles of Christian women's modesty for those that may find this of interest:
Christian Women Modelling God’s Fashion

Edited by Yona
Added greeting