Ell

i cannot believe i’m typing this

i don’t really know how to start this. i can barely believe i am typing this right now. before i try and sugarcoat anything, i’m going to say i am currently agnostic, but please keep reading. my mom was diagnosed with cancer a few days ago. i feel very scared and hopeless, and even though i have years worth of disenfranchisement from religion because of being queer, i truly don’t have anywhere to turn but here. i’m basically asking, how do you pray? i don’t think i’ve ever done it for real. please help me out, i could use some comfort.

Posted (edited)

Hello Ell! Sorry it's taken this long for someone to reply. This site is basically dead at this point. 

I personally believe in talking to God just like I would anyone else. I think that he is my father, and loves me more than anyone else, so why would I make myself feel uncomfortable talking to him by being super formal? I make sure to give him praise, talk about what going on with me, and sometimes ask for help. 

My heart goes out to you. Your situation sounds rough, and I can't imagine how you feel about this. Know that I am here to talk if you need someone. 

Edited by Allons-y99

I pray by personally talking to God, lay all your troubles to him. Talk to God, because He is a listening God, tell Him all your troubles and you will be comforted by His love

To pray means to communicate with God. That can mean thanking Him, praising Him, confessing something you've done wrong, or expressing a need you have.