Why do pentecostals call themselves that?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask this general question.

Why do pentecostals call themselves that?

I know for a fact they are more aggressive when it comes to spiritual warfare (which is not bad).

I know they focus more on the power of the Holy Spirit (which is not bad either, but the fruits are more important as always).

Now,

something I have noticed is this: (please do not be offended, this is what I have experienced)

I typically hear a preacher say, "I came here to tell the devil I won't give up!" or something like that. Like they do God's service saying with their mouths they are telling the devil and demons they will keep fighting against them.

Now, I don't want to judge this at all. I just find it a bit funny because, don't we preach or teach to make God happy and mention God and say, "I'm here to do God's will", "I'm here to serve you through Jesus Christ".

What do you guys thinK?

Well they are very focused on the Holy Spirit, which was officially I guess given to man at Pentecost? That would be my guess.

Yup, that.

And well, there is spiritual warfare, and there are times when we have to "battle" against the devil, but really, not everything is the devil's doing (like some people seem to believe.) It really depends on what kind of Pentecostal church you go to. And mind you, there are many, many crazy ones.

Yup, that.

And well, there is spiritual warfare, and there are times when we have to "battle" against the devil, but really, not everything is the devil's doing (like some people seem to believe.) It really depends on what kind of Pentecostal church you go to. And mind you, there are many, many crazy ones.

This

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

They call themselves Pentecostal's because they've misinterpreted Acts 2. :-)

I just love it when denominations bash each other on here :P

Are you sure about that?

Yes... Acts 2 says nothing about babbling inconsequentially, nor does the Acts 2 church look or function anything like the contemporary Pentecostal churches. They've appropriated the name and allusion to Acts 2 however they're heavily a contemporary phenomenon.

I just love it when denominations bash each other on here :P

Why would I bash anyone? I'm simply observing why a collective group does something.

Yes... Acts 2 says nothing about babbling inconsequentially, nor does the Acts 2 church look or function anything like the contemporary Pentecostal churches. They've appropriated the name and allusion to Acts 2 however they're heavily a contemporary phenomenon.

Why would I bash anyone? I'm simply observing why a collective group does something.

But how did you realize this is how they came up with the denomination name?